-
AuthorContent
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6400695

I made a recipe that called for 14 egg whites. What can I make to use up the egg yokes? I hate to waste them.
iamakylady53
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6400838

Only thing I can come up with is home made ice-cream. You can freeze the yokes in an ice tray so you can use them as needed. Once they are frozen, pop em into freezer bags.
Sorry I can't come up with anything else. Custards use egg yokes.
Prickle
Porter, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6400859

Lemon Curd:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lemon-curd-recipe/index.html

Hollandaise sauce:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hollandaise-sauce-recipe/index.html

Prickle
Porter, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6400887

Creme Brulee:

http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/creme-brulee1.html
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6405815

thanks for the ideas all. I do have an ice cream maker so that sounds like a great idea. Good to know you can freeze egg yolks.
planolinda
Plano, TX

April 16, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6420683

isn't homemade mayo from egg yokes? i've never made it but hear it is easy and excellent tasting

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6420765

I use egg yolks to make mayonnaise. I don't make much because it doesn't keep very long.
planolinda
Plano, TX

April 17, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6420817

is it a lot better or different than store bought? how easy is it to make?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6421003

Mucho better!! and easy to make. I use a whisk, not a stick blender or mixer. The second link below has some good tips, but I wouldn't try their method of a whisk in a drill press! I just whisk in a large bowl. (I also use fresh lemons.)
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Making-Mayonnaise/Detail.aspx
http://www.afn.org/~poultry/recipes/mayo.htm
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6421605

I don't make homemade mayo because it doesn't last very long like darius said.
planolinda
Plano, TX

April 17, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6425472

it seems like something that would be difficult to make a small amount of --too bad since it doesn't last long
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6498536

Your 14 egg yolks are surely long gone by now, but if you should have them again,
here are a few other ideas:

[quote] MARIAN'S DAFFODIL CAKE (CHIFFON)

12 egg yolks (left over from angel food cake)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon flavor

Beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Add sugar in small amounts and keep beating. Add boiling water and beat 30 seconds, add sifted dry ingredients gradually, then add flavorings, beat all well (about 5 minutes). Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour in an ungreased 10" or 12" angel food pan. Cool upside down before removing. This is a great party cake, as you can serve it plain or with whipped cream, berries, or whatever. [/quote]

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,176,157174-236202,00.html

You might also like to try this Italian classic:
[quote] ZABAGLIONE
Eggnog with Marsala

Mail this
recipe to
a friend!

4 egg yolks
4 tbs. sugar
4 tbs. Marsala

Warm the eggs yolks and the sugar in a double boiler over a low heat, and then whip them with a wire whisk. Pour Marsala into the yolks, drop by drop, and keep beating.
The mixture will begin to foam and then swell into a light soft cream. Do not overcook or it will collapse.

Cinnamon and grated lemon rind may be added before pouring in the Marsala, and this liqueur in turn can be replaced with a high-quality white, sweet, dry or sparkling wine. Brandy or cherry brandy may also be added.[/quote]
http://www.italianmade.com/recipes/recipe398.cfm

This is often served with fresh berries.
You can fold in whipped cream to make the Zabaglione more like a custard if you wish.
[quote] Zabaglione with Fresh Berries
5 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup dry or sweet Marsala wine*
1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream), whipped until stiff
5 1/4 cups fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, quartered strawberries, and/or raspberries)

* Marsala wine is traditionally used, but you can also substitute sherry, Madeira, Grand Marnier, sparkling or dessert wine. Can also combine wine with a spirit such as bourbon, rum, or Calvados, or other brandy, or add a favorite liqueur such as praline or Frangelico. Citrus juice and zest, vanilla, or ground ginger or other spices may be added along with the wine.

Set up a double boiler or a medium-size stainless-steel bowl over a pot of simmering water. Check to make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water, or the eggs may scramble.

With a hand held electric mixer or thin wire whip, beat the egg yolks and sugar together approximately 3 minutes or until pale yellow. Slowly whisk in the Marsala wine and set the bowl over the simmering water.

Continue to beat, approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until the eggs triple in volume, thicken, and reach a temperature of 140 degrees F, as registered on an instant thermometer. The eggs will first become frothy, then as they cook, they will slightly stiffen but still hold the air. If you stop whipping or the water boils you might scramble the eggs. Be sure to move the beater or whip around the bowl so the eggs cook evenly. NOTE: If the eggs begin to curdle pull the insert away from the water for a few seconds to cool it (keep whisking).

Remove from heat and cool the mixture completely in the refrigerator. When the mixture is cool, fold in prepared whipped cream.

NOTE: Zabaglione can be made ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Bring the sauce to room temperature before serving with your favorite berries..

In a serving dish (a large martini or wine glass makes a nice presentation), dollop some of the zabaglione. Add fresh berries. Finish by adding another good-side dollop of zabaglione and top with mint sprig and a few more berries.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.[/quote]
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Fruit/ZabaglioneBerries.htm

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6498541

Oh, Yum... I love Zabaglione!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6498667

Especially if made with the deeply coloured yolks of pastured chickens! I've had a number of folks tell me that they loved Zabaglione in Italy but it just doesn't taste as good when they try to make it here. When I suggested seeking out pastured eggs when they make this dish, a few of them did that and had some "Aha!" moments about the quality of ingredients.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6498717

No doubt! There were devilled eggs at this weekend's swap meet... so pale in comparison to the ones I make with eggs from free range chickens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America