Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Is anyone using freezer bags instead of jugs?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 8, Views: 254
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6402193

I ran out of jugs and then someone said to use gallon freezer bags. It was cleaner, less prep. faster. Then I read something that said you cut the bottom out of a plastic water bottle and insert it in the bag, then seal the bag around the neck of the bottle. however it seems like it's taking up all my dirt space. ( ha kind of like my house =)

I tried using the roll found in paper towels, but they tried to 'droop' when they got wet.

Any other handy, dandy suggestions?

ps. I didn't take a picture of my 'droopy' bags ... here's one that I am proud of

Phyllis

Thumbnail by nanniepb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jomejamo
Hilliard, OH

April 13, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6404668

I've used 'koolaid burst' containers for seedling pots and in my strawberry pot to get the water to the bottom. They are made out of easy to cut plastic and fairly tall, not quite as tall as a paper towel roll, tho. Take a look next time you are at the grocery.

Jomejamo
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6404722

I will. Thanks =)

today I thought of using old blinds. I could cut those into small sections plus I think you can write on those also.

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6419081

Here are my baggie babbies!

Thumbnail by Henygirl

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6419277

Clothespins!! I never thought of those. thanks =)
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6419305

I cut the holes in the bottom and added a coffee filter in the bottom of the bag to keep the soil in. :)

Some as you can see have done wonderful but others are very moist and I see no signs of life...still early I suppose but I am alittle worried.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6419363

I like the 'baggie babies' name. cute.

I snipped holes too as i stapled the corners together. Most of mine are in a paper box. That seems to hold the water in too.

Today I rolled a few of the tops down because the plants are getting tall and I am afraid the plastic in the sun will scald them ( I think that's the right word). I sowed several kinds of herbs in them this week. we'll see =)
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6419396

I might try some in the cardboard boxes next year.

I liked the plastic tub with holes drilled...so I had a cover for them when the temps got really low.

Thumbnail by Henygirl

nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6419706

I didnt even cover mine. Someone told me (on here) to use the boxes to keep them from blowing away and also because it helps hold moisture. I used boxes, milk crates, a metal basket that had the grandkids toys in it, lol just because mine were on a sidewalk that leads up to the back porch. I tried to keep mine where they could get rain so I didnt even try to put them close to the house. but not on the grass because I knew we'd have to mow around them.

Our grass has been mowed twice already!
back to work I go...no more goofing off ;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America