April in Like a Lion Too #2

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad everyone had a great Easter! I made a standing rib roast - it was fab! Worked on the front garden/lawn area for 3 hours before it got too hot. This lawn gets a lot of direct sunlight. I'm not used to that. The other house had a Live Oak in the front that kept the lawn about 80% shade.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/969856/

66.9 F
Overcast
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 58 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3700 ft
Overcast 6000 ft

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 7 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Partly cloudy. Windy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 76. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50% percent.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 6:10 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dang! when I read Sharon's post I realized what time it is - and it is still dark and cold - need to redo the plastic on the north end of the porch where the wind has damaged it.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sharon, sounds like your settled in.
Lots of new challenges in the yard, that should be interesting, finding just the right plants for certain locations.
Of course Florida is way different than here. Here there are a lot more flowering plants for sun than for shade.

Man is coming after his horse trailer this morning. Talk about a challenge! This has living quarters & we built new cabinets for it. Did you know a trailer is a couple inches narrower at the top than the bottom. We had to custom fit each piece. Then there were a furnace, heat ducts, electric converter, battery, & other things to fit into the confined spaces. All the while trying to get as much storage as possible.

Our greenhouse frame is done. Also have the growing bed ready for the strawberries. Now all we need is a no wind day so the plastic can go on. Probably today when we are busy with other things & can't take time to do it.

Be back later, I have a cabinet job to finish plans for.

Bernie

Here is my challenge - sheesh!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Lots of weeds, weedy vines, pine cones, pine needles, magnolia debris, holly (I loathe holly). The shrubs have not been trimmed in a loooong time. One huge lantana is dead.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon, I honestly believe that you will meet that challenge & whup it into the pride of the area.

Bernie - what meds are you taking to have as much energy as you do? I need some.

I fertilized (weed and feed) in the the morning and watered the lawn. This is after 3 hours of clean up. There is still a lot of clean up to do LOL!

There was a vine on the shrubbery on the left. The base of that vine was 1" thick. It covered the entire left side of the "garden". I got all the shrubs trimmed back. You can see the dead lantana to the left - looks like sticks.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson - we crossed - Thanks! It whupped me though yesterday LOL!

Remember these chairs? They were gray. I painted them on Saturday.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon I need to sit in one of those chairs - relax and enjoy the surroundings - can not get that far south though - maybe you can do it for me?

A gray cloudy sky Hope it warms enough to work outside as I have an unscheduled day off work, the plant is closed today from lack of business. Next weeks check will not be good.

Absolutely LOL!

Something used to be here, but I don't know what it was. You can see the thingy that is laid to keep out weeds.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cool and Rainy here for the new few days.
45 (Wind Chill 42)
We should be in the mid 60's...
we will be in the mid 50's BUT no freezing predicted for at least 10 days!
Maybe it's finally turned the corner?

Sharon it looks as if you have some work ahead of you but the bones are good.
So it's mainly the fun stuff.
We almost got a metal chair yesterday.
It was laying just off the Hwy..... no way I was stoppping!
Love the new look on those.

One of the things I love about the 'Royal Heritage' Hellebores is that they are sterile.
So the blooms don't green out very quickly and hang on for weeks and weeks.
Here's yesterday in the sun.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's the full bed.
The clump is about 6' across and 4' wide now.
The leaves in the foreground are 'standard' Hellebores from open crosses.
They may yet bloom this year.
Ric

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 10:19 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, you'll do great. I can see a small difference already. The yard has a good foundation, it just needs your special touch. I hate the weed cloth we put down. I did it all around the outside of the yard when we had the sod laid. Now, I'm pulling it all out because I can't get plants in it easily and they can't expand.

I didn't know that about the trailers, Bernie.

44.9 F with 68 for today. Then, we have one more storm forecast. After that we should have nice weather for awhile.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 42 F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 5.3 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 7.7 mph
Pressure: 30.10 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thanks! I've got some work ahead of me with this lawn LOL! I jsut got approval to yank out the holly - anyone want holly?

(Zone 7a)

I DO!!! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie that sounds like a serious challenge.
The DH of a friend of mine designs and engineers yacht and tug interiors down in FL.
It's a very specialized field and a very challenging one.
Fitting all that stuff AND the mechanicals in a small space.....

We worked w/ a cab maker refitting a Jet for Proctor and Gamble.
Samples of all the cookware, stemware and flatware were taken and the cabs were fitted around them.
They actually routed the drawers to fit the knives, forks and spoons.
Can't have them shooting out or sliding around in flight.
Cradles were made for the stemware then flocked.

For those not knowing Hellebores (and I'm pretty much new to them also) when they get pollenated the bloom turns green as the seeds form.
Don't know why... more energy?... taking them off the bee market?
Anyway here's one from a standard... you can see the seeds forming in the middle.
A very little of the original coral color can be seen.

Ric

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sharon get some welding gloves!
You'll need them! lol!

Here's some of the weird Daffs we're growing.
The regular ones bore me! LOL!
These were started from one bulb each type 3 years ago.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Howdy Do All!

The computer is running slow, so it takes too long to open pictures.

Today we have rain, had sleet and snow mixed in, but we're back to rain, up to half an inch already.

I got radish, turnip and kohlrobi planted in window boxes for the fun of it this year. The Grandsons helped me plant peas. I transplanted a clump of rhubarb that turned into four and moved a few cup plants out of the way so I could widen the compost area. The potatoes already have 4'' sprouts, so I'll plant them closer to the last frost date.

Yesterday was the first full day of working outside. I raked all my beds and put borer control on the iris. I think everything grew an inch overnight before the rain :o)

This sundog yesterday, in the early afternoon, foretold today's rain.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

BP I missed you!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Spring is finally here....pollen and all LOL Here are some last pictures for us in Tidewater

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Here's another one of my pansies in the front yard!

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

One more of the pansies.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
(Zone 3b)

31*F ~ snowing but becoming brighter. Highs to mid-30's low 40's.
Rise: Set:
Actual Time 6:39 AM AKDT 9:16 PM AKDT
Nice seeing what's gone on since last post~lots and lots to read/see.
Spring color is still a few weeks off, but it's coming.

Thumbnail by kiska
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Last one of the dogwood tree.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
(Zone 3b)

FFlops~sorry for interrupting:) The dogwood is gorgeous. Dogwood blossoms hold special meaning/memories of my dad~Very nice to see them again.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Kiska, we crossed....you are still having winter!!!! Spring will come just like it came here. Stay warm!1

(Zone 3b)

Yes~a few more weeks and then spring will happen in a matter of a day or two, or so it seems. The long daylight really brings a rush of growth.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

FFlops - Where have you lived besides Newport News, VA? Just wondering if I have met you?

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I have lived in Newport News the last 45 years. Do you want to go back further than that LOL I lived in Hampton for 3 years prior. Now I am really telling my age!! HA HA

(Zone 5a)

Awww Dyson, I'm blushing! It's nice to be missed.

Flipflops, lovely colors! Pansies really pull thru don't they! Dogwoods are so delicate looking!

Kiska, love the picture of frozen rain! May warm spring rains come your way.

I made my own Easter Bunnies. (Ignore the 1963 peachy-brown bath tub. It keeps us humble :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on April 13, 2009
78 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.92 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 23000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

a few more pictures from Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

sticky monkeyflower

Thumbnail by Kelli

coast morning glory - most of them are all white

Thumbnail by Kelli

checkerspot

Thumbnail by Kelli
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Billy: I love your precious Easter bunnies. That is adorable!! And you know what.....peach is a spring color so it is very appropriate!! :-)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I was brought into the world in Newport News Spent my first years in a house off of Deep Creek. Long time ago even before FFlops got there 45yr back.

Got to rest now - 1am will arrive all to soon.

(Zone 7a)

Kelli, that far left rock looks like a skull.

It was beautiful today again. The clouds are blowing in, however, and it's getting chilly. We have one last storm (so 'they' say) and then we're done for the time being. I'll believe that when I see it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

kwanjin, is your kitty a flame point hemi??? We had one that looked very much like yours for 16 years. Her name was "Miss Scarlett".

Dyson, Deep Creek Road is only about 5 or 6 miles from where I live. Did you go to Warwick High School?? Maybe you and my DH went to school together.

Celia LOL!
Ric The Hellebores are pretty! Good idea about the gloves. I just might have to invest in some. The mini daffs sell like crazy here.
Sally Weve missed you! Cool Sun Dog!
Flip Wanna do some garden designing for me? Yours is beautiful! The Dogwood is gorgeous!
Kiska That is a picture Ive never seen before LOL! Very cool!
Sally Im cracking up at your bunnies!
Kelli Love the hiking pics. Ive never seen a checkerspot. Its a beauty!
Celia Youre right! It does look like a skull!
Dyson I hope you get lots of rest before work!
Celia Awww What did Monty do to get put in the slammer?

Joey - I hope your test is going well! Keep us posted. Sending good "A grade" prayers your way :)

68.5 F
Overcast
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 64 F
Wind: 5.4 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2900 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Overcast 8000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EDT this evening...
Tornado Watch 150 in effect until 7 PM EDT this evening...

Windy. Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then showers and thunderstorms likely after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be severe with damaging winds and large hail. Low 63. South winds 20 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph in the evening. Chance of rain 70%.

We've already had some rain -which reminds me - I need to put the bunny rainmeter out. The radar is looking pretty colorful red/yellow/orange a little green.

Anyone know what these are?

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Happy belated Easter everyone.. sorry i missed y'all I was busy playing in church services & had a busy holy week!!! We got much needed rain on Sunday & now it's cool. But I have more daffodils popping up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images