Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: For bread makers out there -

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 3, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 13, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6405061

A very accomplished bread baker gave me a wonderful tip to enhance the flavor: before you bake your loaf, take 1/2cup of the dough and mix it with water/flour to make a 'slurry' on the thick side. Let it stand out , mixing it down when it rises high until it gets a kind of sourdough smell to it. That achieved, keep it covered in the fridge and add it to your next dough. I am on my 3rd loaf using this and it does enhance the flavor a good deal...not quite a sourdough flavor but yummy.

Per her suggestion, I roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and then put them thru a grinder to make a coarse powder. I add this power to my dough...about 1/4 of a cup. Yummy!

Have fun,
carol
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6421621

Oh it sounds yummy. I love sourdough bread.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6632092

What is "fast-rising yeast"???

Edited to say no it's not related to the first posting but I'm asking this bread question based on the title.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2009 2:45 PM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6632150

Looks like here's my answer: http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=62 but that's strange. The recipe, like all those using regular yeast, still calls for it to double in the same 1 hour + span of time?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America