Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canadian Gardening: new project: trellis for the rambler rose

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6405652

since Sunday was too windy/chilly to spend tidying up out in the garden, I spent the morning in the greenhouse with some scrap lumber, a power drill, a few discarded wooden dowels and my cedar circle.

The cedar circle is a thin, narrow piece of cedar left over from the bench rebuild. Last summer, I soaked the scrap cedar in one of the water barrels for a few days until the cedar was pliable enough to bend and clamp into a circle.

It was a good day to put it all together, here's what I came up with when I got finished fiddling around:

The upright pieces are drilled about a half inch deep to accept/position the dowels.

The circle fit nicely within the space, and is dressed up with a little wind chime.

Really looking forward to Veilchenblau in bloom this summer.

What project are you working on?

Thumbnail by drivenbonkers
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6405959

Great job! That will do the trick! You are certainly very handy...I couldn't make something like that if my life depended on it. LOL
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6406981

That turned out nice. No project yet, other than potting the seedlings into bigger pots. Does washing windows count as a project??
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6418564

That is luvly db. The windchime is a nice touch.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

April 16, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6420479

drivenb, you are so resourceful and creative! That's lovely. What is Veilchenblau, a rose?

Sandy
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6420612

thanks all for your kind comments!

I have been pondering a trellis for Velichenblau for a couple of years, just waiting for the right materials to present themselves ... but the truth is that I get sidetracked easily, lol. The wind chime used to hang in my kitchen window, and was surplus after the kitchen repaint.

Velichenblau is an old rambler rose, (from Pickering Nurseries) a non-recurrent June blooming semi double violet/mauve-ish.

She's been planted for a good 6? years... and has bloomed only once or twice through no fault of her own. This variety blooms on old wood.

She's suffered a couple severe winter weather related diebacks, and a couple of winters ago was chewed beyond salvation by mice/moles.

I'm learning what it takes to 'winterize' her, and am really looking forward to this June.

The two longest canes are over 10 feet long!

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

April 17, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6422936

Mind if I ask how you winterized it?

Sandy
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6423064

don't mind if you do! lol

What didn't work was the recommended lay it down on the ground and cover over with a burlap bag, then cover with a few inches of soil. That was a dismal failure... a winter playground for the mice and moles... a cafeteria of sorts. There was not more than half a dozen 6-inch long undamaged length of cane the next spring... I cried when I uncovered that mess ;(

What worked this past winter was to carefully lay the canes on the ground, and tie or wrap them together in several groups with long strips of rag. There are not too many thorns on Veilchenblau so wrapping was easy. Pin the end of the rag on a thorn and wrap the canes, and hook the rag on another thorn to finish.

Old bedsheets were placed on top to cover the base and canes, and the whole thing weighted down with bricks and a part of a log to keep the canes hugging the ground. Every snowfall we got, I made sure the area was well drifted in and shovelled more snow on top of the canes and at the base of the rose if it needed.

I'm thinking for this winter that the trellis can be pulled from the GH and the whole thing layed down on the ground...we shall see.

I learned the hard way to be careful when laying down a rambler, the canes will crack and split at the base if forced too far...
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

April 18, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6429426

Thanks! That's interesting about the bedsheets.

Sandy
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6441623

YIPPEE! ...I've finished my pond, and have posted a couple of pictures on the water garden forum.

Another exercise in recycling!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America