Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.
since Sunday was too windy/chilly to spend tidying up out in the garden, I spent the morning in the greenhouse with some scrap lumber, a power drill, a few discarded wooden dowels and my cedar circle.
The cedar circle is a thin, narrow piece of cedar left over from the bench rebuild. Last summer, I soaked the scrap cedar in one of the water barrels for a few days until the cedar was pliable enough to bend and clamp into a circle.
It was a good day to put it all together, here's what I came up with when I got finished fiddling around:
The upright pieces are drilled about a half inch deep to accept/position the dowels.
The circle fit nicely within the space, and is dressed up with a little wind chime.
Really looking forward to Veilchenblau in bloom this summer.
I have been pondering a trellis for Velichenblau for a couple of years, just waiting for the right materials to present themselves ... but the truth is that I get sidetracked easily, lol. The wind chime used to hang in my kitchen window, and was surplus after the kitchen repaint.
Velichenblau is an old rambler rose, (from Pickering Nurseries) a non-recurrent June blooming semi double violet/mauve-ish.
She's been planted for a good 6? years... and has bloomed only once or twice through no fault of her own. This variety blooms on old wood.
She's suffered a couple severe winter weather related diebacks, and a couple of winters ago was chewed beyond salvation by mice/moles.
I'm learning what it takes to 'winterize' her, and am really looking forward to this June.
What didn't work was the recommended lay it down on the ground and cover over with a burlap bag, then cover with a few inches of soil. That was a dismal failure... a winter playground for the mice and moles... a cafeteria of sorts. There was not more than half a dozen 6-inch long undamaged length of cane the next spring... I cried when I uncovered that mess ;(
What worked this past winter was to carefully lay the canes on the ground, and tie or wrap them together in several groups with long strips of rag. There are not too many thorns on Veilchenblau so wrapping was easy. Pin the end of the rag on a thorn and wrap the canes, and hook the rag on another thorn to finish.
Old bedsheets were placed on top to cover the base and canes, and the whole thing weighted down with bricks and a part of a log to keep the canes hugging the ground. Every snowfall we got, I made sure the area was well drifted in and shovelled more snow on top of the canes and at the base of the rose if it needed.
I'm thinking for this winter that the trellis can be pulled from the GH and the whole thing layed down on the ground...we shall see.
I learned the hard way to be careful when laying down a rambler, the canes will crack and split at the base if forced too far...