Photo by Melody

Article: Kinnikinnick (Bearberry): The woods are 1/4 mile from my house

Communities > Forums > Article: Kinnikinnick (Bearberry)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Kinnikinnick (Bearberry)Replies: 1, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6407650

Sharon, another wonderful story. It's getting warmer here in Frankfort, KY and I have plans on exploring the woods and looking for the BearBerry (I'll send you some cuttings if I find it) .
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6408675

That would be great, Rentman. Postmandug tells me that it is not a plant native to Kentucky, so I don't know if the leaves we picked were from an errant plant that lost its way in the mountains, or if we were visiting elsewhere when we grabbed them. However, I do know that it is one of the plants that is being considered, and possibly tried by now, for reclamation in some of those areas that were at one time mined.

It could be that it grew in the mountains at one time, and is no longer there, too. It has been many years since I have seen it, and I only remembered it from looking at the lists that Aunt Bett left.

Let me know if you find it. And thanks for writing.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Kinnikinnick (Bearberry) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The Treasure that is Sharon Brown DesertPirate 14 Apr 18, 2009 9:42 AM
Your stories Devota 1 Apr 14, 2009 3:38 PM
Native to KY? postmandug 12 May 10, 2011 10:08 AM
So sweet! adinamiti 3 Apr 15, 2009 9:45 PM
good article phicks 1 Apr 14, 2009 6:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America