Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Zucchini Leaf Problems

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 36, Views: 398
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6411327

Could someone tell me what is wrong with my zucchini leaves, and what I should do to fix them? Or is it a problem that needs to be fixed? I have had a problem keeping them watered enough with drought conditions and extreme water restrictions. I do try to water by hand 1 or x a day from my rain barrel. I don't see insects. They are in the ground. I started the plants in peat pots the first week of March, and I removed the pots and put them in the ground about 3 weeks ago in mounds.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6411351

Expanded view. There may be more than zucchini plants in the mound. I have been mixing all my mound plants (zucchini, birdhouse gourd, water melon, cucumber), and have put a tomato cage around them, to give them some climbing space. I have two mounds right now, and I am putting in a third.

starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6411369

A tomato plant next to the zucchinis. I would think if there was an insect in the soil, wouldn't the tomato be affected? I think it is a cherry tomato.

I know nothing about growing vegetables, especially in the ground. I did add cow manure, and vegetable top soil to the sand that is my regular soil and mixed it all together.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6413751

Starsplitter, they look okay to me, what is concerning you?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6414066

starsplitter - if you have fuzzy white stuff on your leaves, it's probably Powdery Mildew, which can be fatal if not treated. The very best product to kill it in it's tracks is "Fung-Away" from this company.

http://www.greenlightco.com/

Sometimes you can find it at Lowes.

If you prefer something organic - try Neem Oil, or something containing Canola Oil like "Pyola" which you can purchase here:

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8101&ss=PYOLA

Don't use products containing oil when it is very hot - the oil will burn the leaves. I have just sprayed my roses with Pyola for aphids because it's still cool here, but I wouldn't do so in the summer.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6414076

Honeybee -- Will "Fung-Away" work on phlox? Powdery mildew is a
problem with them.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6414178

june-nmexico - I used to raise African violets, and used "Fung Away" on them. If you've ever tried growing AV's you KNOW how hard they are to keep alive! "Fung Away" saved many an AV from certain doom, so I'm sure it would do wonders for your Phlox.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6414209

Thanks. It's hard enough to grown anything interesting
here in the desert and powdery mildew wrecked my
phlox last summer. Will order some now if Lowe's
doesn't have it.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6414228

june-nmexico - when I get home (I'm at work now) - I'll look up my bottle to see what you can use in a spray bottle. I seem to remember it's 3/4 tsp per 32ozs, but I'm not sure.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6414466

The problem I am worried about is the whitening along the veins of the leaves. Some of the leaves are fine, but there are several that have the white lines.

It isn't fuzzy or lifted. I will look under the leaves too just to make sure. I do have neem, and I can always spray just in case.

Thank you. :)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6418841

june-nmexico - I checked my bottle of "Fung Away" and I have written 3/4 tsp per quart. It will not say this on the bottle itself.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6419113

Thanks, Honeybee. I tagged your post so I don't lose your directions.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6419634

So the whitening of the veins of my zucchini is normal?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6419859

My zucchini and scallops have always had white along the veins, some more than others. For me, as long as it doesn't rub off, or look different in texture from the rest of the leaf, I don't worry about it :)
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6419886

Yes, that silvery color is normal to several varieties of squash. Your plants look just fine.

But remember the advice about powdery mildew, in case it shows up later in the season.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6420025

Thanks so much. I just needed a bit of assurance. I had no idea. I thought the plants looked good and I couldn't figure out why the leaves were blanching. I will double check and check throughout the season for mold/mildew.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6420197

Definitely not powdery mildew in those pictures. It looks like this:

Thumbnail by dividedsky

starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6420752

Thank you. It certainly doesn't look like that. I thought maybe my leaves burned a bit during development, since it is so hot and dry here in Florida.

What a pretty Leaf hopper in your picture. I know they are a bane, but I appreciate them for their beauty.
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2009
8:58 AM

Post #6422607

Your zucchinni is going to die. Most likely. I've had the same thing on mine last year and this year. It also hit the yellow squash. I do think it's some sort of powdery funk. But then again I'm no expert. Ok, this is how it's broken down for me:

Acorn Squash: it blights it, but last year still managed to get a few good ones, this year, looks like we'll have one decent acorn squash.

Butternut Squash: Planted further away from the infected ones, so far no sign of disease.

Pumpkin: total blight.

Zucchini: total blight...last year had one decent zuc this year looks like none.

Yellow c Neck: total blight

other Cucubrits(sp?)

Cucumber: Not affected at all. Had a great harvest last year, didn't buy one from the store from June to September. This year they look okay.

Watermellon: no infection- was doing well until mice got to them

Cannaloupe: same as watermellon.

I have an organic spray that hasnt worked one bit.
It's active ingredients are potassium salts of fatty acids and sulfur. Don't buy it We bought it because it advertised as being safe to use up until the day of harvest but it hasn't done (sh**) for the bugs or powdery mildew.

I hope this has been of some help and someone else in the deep south can recomend what the heck to do to get rid of this stuff that destroys otherwise totally rockin plants.
Peace
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6423491

Did you mean my plants or the one with the mildew?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6424019

neworleansdude - I lived in South Florida for over 30 years and learned very early on that growing anything in the Family: Cucurbitaceae Genus: Cucurbita was just this side of hopeless! Happily, I now live in NC and I've had a modicum of success - especially with cucumbers.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6424068

What was the problem in Florida?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6424093

starsplitter - powdery mildew just coated anything related to the squash family - I lived in Palm Beach County.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6424130

Okay, I don't have that problem, so maybe I will be okay. I am just trying to gather the facts, since I am new and learning about vegetable gardening. I am growing the zucchini for my catfish, and I would love a good crop to save me trips to the store and it needs to be pretty close to organic. Don't want to poison my catfish. I have cucumbers growing for me. I hope they are successful.

I have Japanese Eggplant almost ready to be picked. They are looking good.

I used to live in Fayetteville, NC, and we grew monster, delicious cucumbers. :)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6424180

starsplitter - I didn't know cucumbers could grow so large, until two summers ago! You're right, they are delicious. This year, I'm planting something called "Baby Cucumber Cucino" from Park Seed - described as "Two Bites of Heaven"

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/5600/

Sounds like they will be much more managable :)
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2009
6:47 AM

Post #6426993

Starsplitter: I meant your zucs. I hope I'm wrong, but that photo you opened the thread with is how it looks at the start.
Honeybee: You've had this problem before and the "Fung-Away" actually works? I'm also curious about the cost and making sure it can be used on plants and the fruits are still safe for me and gf and friends to eat. I know most of what we all buy at grocery stores has more pesticide on it...I've tried doing the "organic" thing at home the last two spring/summers now and it's tough. Buying organic at whole foods or what not it just so darn expensive. Going out every other day to squish the pests by hand, not knowing what to do with fungus, mildew, blight, et.al.

At the same time we have so many great butterflies (which love our garden since they can lay their eggs on our plants), lizards, bees, wasps, preditor insects, rolly pollys, the occasional snake, racoon, or possum. And we live in the city, granted it's close to the river, but looks like we're going to move closer to the lake soon. And I love all the critters, so I want to find something I can spray to discourge them from eating certain plants, but not treat others so we get that great wild life.
Any suggestions? And thank you all for taking the time to read my ramblings.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6427436

Dude, if you have powdery mildew, like I show in my picture with the leafhopper, I've found that a spray of baking soda and water helps control it. Not sure what effect that has on the critters and their eggs, though.
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6427671

I have a live and let live attitude with critters. I will treat for fungus, mildew, . . . but with critters I work on discouraging them. I am lucky in that my garden is new, so the pest insects really haven't found me. My biggest problem is a cat, squirrels, and a raccoon. I have found a great way to discourage mammals (doesn't work for birds or insects),., is to pour cayenne pepper on everything. Keeps my tender shoots, flower buds and fruits from being eaten. It also helps to keep the squirrels from digging in pots, and stones in a pot around a pot will also discourage squirrels.

I have a vegetable cleaner spray I use on store bought vegetables to remove pesticides, herbicides, . . .
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6428789

I tend to subscribe to the "plant too much" philosophy. 1/3 for disease, 1/3 for the critters, and 1/3 for ME!!. I do use some neem oil and soapy water, but that's about it. I always have enough for all of us (knock on wood)...

Margo

This message was edited Apr 19, 2009 7:29 AM
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6429046

That's my pholiosophy too. Learned it from my mom "1/3 for God (mother nature), 1/3 for the birds, 1/3 for me". :)
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2009
6:57 AM

Post #6435647

Indy: baking soda and water? Just disolve it and spray and that can actually kill the powdery milldew? I'll try it! With the stuff I was using before it suggested using it after a rain or watering and once the sun was low. Sunset is around 7:30 here now, so is this something safe to use at 5pm or should I wait until the sun has gone down...also does it need to be able to sit of the plant for a day without rain or watering?
Thank you for your help. This year the powder has made it impossible to grow zukes or yellow and seriously, our one acorn squash plant that is hanging on has one fruit on it (but it still looks good, about average orange size now).

word
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2009
7:40 AM

Post #6435681

Looked at the photos again and ya know what: the problem with mine looks just like the photo Indy shared. Stars, I'm not sure what yours is, but it seems to be almost the same but maybe it needs more water so it stays closer to the main veins. I dunno.

Star: I know it's been less than a week but has your situation gotten better or worse?
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6436542

It looks much the same. I am very careful about keeping it watered, because it is so dry here, and we are under severe water restrictions. I hand water all my plants from my rain barrel everday. If I miss a day, my plants wilt. We've had rain twice since February. We don't get regular rain until June. We have been in severe drought for 3 years.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6438706

Yes, someone on here recommended it to me, and it seemed to combat powdery mildew better than the neem oil I was using. Here's an article on it: http://www.gardenguides.com/pests/tips/powderymildew.asp

Although, I didn't realize how far along you are in the growing season. It's best to catch it early. (I didn't.) Can't hurt to try the baking soda, though.
Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6441578

I have a plant just purchased from a big blue box store that sells a national (or regional) nursery selection of plants. One of the Zucchini's I bought exhibits the exact same pattern on the leaf. This was fresh from the nursery on delivery day too.
bucsfan
Pensacola, FL

May 20, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6575771

starsplitter7, Your squash plant s are just fine all five of mine look identical to yours
it's just a type of species, you should enjoy a fine bounty, good luck
margocstn
Savannah, GA

May 21, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6576859

I got the funny silvery shiny stuff on my squash leaves too and was freaking out. I was assured it was normal. I thought I had mosaic virus.

Apparently it is perfectly normal, my plants are large and growing and producing squash. I'm glad I didn't try to "cure" them of something and kill them. I think the wind is going to kill them for me though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America