-
AuthorContent
karri_sue
Jacumba, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6411355

My son-in-law picked up a truckload of compost today that has a very strong smell. It reminds me of the smell of pressure treated wood. It is supposed to be organic and it appears to be finished. I have gotten compost by the load at a landfill for my flowerbeds before and it just smelled like soil. This is supposed to be used in a strawberry bed and I'm afraid to use it. Any thoughts?
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6412123

I'm trying to recall what pressure treated lumber smells like...
Usually, my finished compost has a sweet earthy smell.
You could call the place that he got it from & inquire about the ingredients. I'm wondering about the addition of a different type manure that could have altered the smell?
karri_sue
Jacumba, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6416957

Thanks for your input. I'm going to look into that tomorrow. I don't think they were honest about it being organic.
Karen
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6417161

I am assuming that you meant that there is a chemical-type smell in the compost that you just had delivered. This doesn't sound right. I agree with Katye that compost should have a sweet, earthy scent. Glad that you're going to call to inquire about what went into this batch of compost.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America