How has Fibromyalgia affected YOUR life?

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I have Fibromyalgia,and would like to know what doctors have told others.As far as medication,therapy,etc.
Do you even have a doctor?
How do you feel?
What aggravates your pain?
What alleviates your pain?
Do other people act like you are just making it up or that it's not that bad?
Do you feel worthless at times?Not being able to do what you used to?Or doing things you want to do?
Do you feel old?
Or scared that someday you might not be able to do anything at all?

Maybe together we can give each other tips on how to make days more pleasurable.
Or just whine and complain to each other when everyone else in our lives are sick of hearing about our aches and pains.

Thumbnail by synda
springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I currently do not have a dr.
My insurance changed so I could no longer use my dr. He said he thought I had fibromyalgia. I have never took prescriptions for it. I frequently hurt all over and have pain mostly in my back, feet, hips, neck. And I have headaches. I see a chiropractor regularly, the best thing that has ever helped me. I feel better if I drink a small amount of caffeine several times a week. I also take over the counter pain relievers like aspirin or tylenol.
I believe I had a stroke once, (more than once?) while taking birth control pills. I have felt totally like junk since I had my son. I don't think gardening has helped either, as the lifting and shoveling kills my neck and my back. Although I feel better over all when I am working in my garden-if that makes sense. I frequently suffer from depression, and mood swings. I would like to work, but can't. Some days it is all I can do to get out of bed, other days I go back to bed, I am frequently fatigued to the point I can't do the things I want to.
I should also add that I have alot of stress in my life. I have three kids. My bio child is autistic and mentally retarded. My two girls are adopted. My older DD is ADHD. My younger DD seems to have some kind of learning problem or memory problem. I cannot get the school to test her, but I feel she has something not right. So we are going to homeschool next fall. Of course with me not being able to work, we are always in a bind financially. That of course is stressful. DH right now is only working 4 days a week, and expected to go down to three soon. SO I said all that to say this, I think that stress has something to do with I dunno-chemical or hormonal changes or something that depletes the body, causing extreme fatigue and mysterious pains, aches and sore muscles. I feel worse in the mornings when I first get up. I have never slept well either. I toss and turn and hurt all over and can't sleep. I had my tonsils out a few months ago, and I think I sleep better believe it or not. I did not realize that they were probably blocking my airway. At least I don't wake myself up snoring anymore LOL
One thing I have noticed, I feel worse in the winter. I got a treadmill I think that helps also.
I also noticed that I feel better when I eat better. More veggies, fruits, and grains. Less sugar and meats. More natural foods, and less processed foods. I am also allergic to many scents, and most products have stuff like that, so I have to avoid those. Makes me wonder if I am sensitive to colorings, and artificial flavors ect.
Well that is my story! Oh, I have a little doggy, he helps me alot. He likes to lay in bed with me, when I feel bad.

Burleson, TX(Zone 7b)

After being diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis seven years ago, I have been treated with some very heavy drugs, including methotrexate and Prednisone, and hours and hours of IV's in the doctor's office to kill my "b" cells and overactive immune system... After several doctors verifying the diagnosis, I found yesterday from a new doctor and lots of old and new xrays, bllod tests, etc., that I never did have RA. I have Fibromyalgia, and lots of aging arthritis that is not Rheumatoid. A knee that will soon have to be replaced, and deformed toes on my right foot, that just "fold away" when I put weight on them!

The Rheumatologist is trying me on Lyrica and Gabapentin for the Fibromyalgia.

Gardening is my lifesaver. Sure, it hurts afterward, and I soak in hot epsom salt water. But while I am working on my plants, I feel no pain, and am often told I am smiling!

You just have to find something you love and keep moving! Don't give in to it. May God Bless you (and send you a guardian angel to help!).

Thumbnail by foxy1

I had arthritis tests done and they were all normal.
My feet hurt alot because I am flat footed really bad on both feet. I tried a surgery for that, but it didn't work. (long story there) I had a Kalix implant, might have worked if it had been put in right....

My guardian angel, his name is Nestle :)

He so cute.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

The Doctor has me on Cymbalta,for pain and depression,Soma,for sleep and muscle relaxing,Darvocet,for pain,as needed.Over the counter meds,Vitamin D3 - 2000 iu,because I had none in my body,B 12 ,I am very low,Colostrum,because my growth hormone is too low,Omega 3 ,and I take Colloidal Minerals,that has helped with the brain fog and somewhat with energy and aching.My Doctor is Mark Pellegrino, here are some links about him,he himself has Fibro.
http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/fibromyalgia-discussions/medicine-treatments/25007-have-you-read-dr-mark-pellegrino
http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=14458
http://cfsfm.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=109&Itemid=1417
And there are many more.He only requires I see him once a year unless I have a problem.

Now on days like today,I'm in so much pain,cold 40 degrees and rainy damp.This past winter has just about killed me.I was in Sooo much pain everyday.I will try and garden until I'm wheel chair bound,praying that ,that never happens.That is one thing I dearly love.

So many days I feel so worthless.I'm 46 years old and want to do so much,but my body says NO!!!!!!!My house looks like a tornado has gone thru it,because so many days I just can't get it done.I have a wonderful DH that helps a lot ,but he works 6 days a week.

And if I feel good and get some stuff done one day,you can bet for the next day or two I'll pay for it.

I refuse to take any meds other than otc pain meds.
I guess I am old fashioned, I just see them as causing too many neg side effects plus they are expensive.
I know what you mean about getting alot done one day and then paying for it the next.
Tired and sore muscles.
totally pooped LOL

I also know EXACTLY what you mean about having so many things you want to do and not being able to do them. It's like I am trapped in my body and I can't get up !!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Snyda,

Thanks so much for your post. I too have Fibro and I am always looking for new things to try that will help me. So I looked up your doctor and found some of his books and I managed to get one of his books really cheap on Ebay. My hubby just ordered it for me tonight. I look forward to reading it.

If you ever want to chat about anything concerning Fibro or anything else, please feel free to dmail me.

Jesse

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Synda - Yeah, it's me. I was diagnosed with Fibro 24 years ago. Sudden onset - one morning, I couldn't lift Mike out of his crib.

I went through all the tests, just like everyone does. I began treatment with physical therapy, antidepressants, Darvocet - the usual. The PT made me hurt worse, and the meds made me so sleepy I couldn't work.

In the end, I had to quite work - I was a nurse - because I just couldn't work the floors for 8 hours straight.

I'm very lucky. I am able to stay home. I have found over the years that keeping my own pace works better than any medications or therapies. That is one reason I never miss my afternoon nap. I need that nap. Heating pads help eleviate the pain too.

You probably know that fibro is thought to be a sleep disorder. We rarely get REM sleep, so we are always tired.

What used to bother me, was that few people believed me. Fibro can't be seen, so many people think we are faking to get out of doing something. Now that I am older, I really don't care what other people think. That is why I don't let the disease depress me. I do the best I can everyday, and if anyone here complains, the chore becomes theirs - lol !

I do think there is something to be said for an anti-inflammatory diet, but I have trouble sticking to it because of other physical problems.

Anyway, just know that those of us who have fibro support you completely. We do know how you feel.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I have had fibro since long before they even knew what it was. Check out the thread below and see if any of you have a problem with NMH. It is the worst of my symptoms.

Healthy Living: Fibromyalgia and NEURALLY MEDIATED HYPOTENSION
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/880065/

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Elena,

I was just reading about this last night in the book called Fibromyalgia: Up Close & Personal by Mark J. Pellegrino. I got that in the mail yesterday and it has a lot of great information in it. The first time that I went to a doctor to deal with this, he took my blood pressure while I was sitting and then took it after I stood up for a while. My blood pressure dropped so low that I almost fainted right there in his office. He put me on Florinef and salt tablets for a while and eventually mine just leveled out and now I do not take those two. I don't know why it finally leveled out but it just did. Maybe it was because I started taking some other medications and some supplements. It took about a year before this happened though. I am not sure if that is exactly the same thing as you have but that is my experience with that type of thing.

Jesse

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Dr. Pellegrino is my Dr.And he is wonderful.My blood pressure has always been good.My reg Dr. put me on 2 Cymbalta a day and boy what a difference,still have pain,but not like it was.Plus sleep is a little better.I started taking Colloidal Minerals,and they have help....no brain fog at all anymore.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I think that because we have different bodies and many different health issues, it is pretty certain that what might work for one person might be bad for another. I have a stomach that doesn't function without medication (and that medication can get messed up by other medications) and that prevents me from taking most other medicines. That is why I have to go "cold turkey" as far as most meds are concerned. I try to PRAY a lot (LOL), eat a very healthy diet, get plenty of rest and exercise, avoid as much stress as possible and hope for the best.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I know one of my problems is I'm a control freak......in turn that causes a person to have a lot of stress.......When things don't go right or people are unintelligent by their own doing or do mean things I could lose a grip real fast.When my son was growing up he never did to much wrong,cause I could not stand to just let him be out of control.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

synda,

I think you are so blessed to have doctor Pellegrino. From what I have read so far he seems like a really nice man. I am really enjoying reading his book.

Jesse

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a little bit about my experience with Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in 1993. I had told the therapist that I was seeing about how much pain I was in and that I had all of these weird symptoms that could not be explained. So he gave me the name of a Psychiatrist that worked with people like this. And even though he saw other patients as well, he specialized in dealing with patients that needed to deal with pain management. I made an appointment with him and he sent me a ton of paperwork to fill out to send back in so that he would know more about me when he saw me. One of the papers that I filled out was a questionaire about Fibromyalgia, a word that I had never heard before. So I filled it out and sent it back in. Then when I got to his office he examined me and tested for all of the tender points. And at that time I think that I had 13 out of 18. So he officially diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, something that I did not even know what it was. At that time not many people had home computers with internet access like we do today so I couldn't really find out much about it. Luckily he had a lot of hand outs for me to read so that I could learn more. At that time he also took blood samples. And that is when I found out that I had hypothyroidism. So he started me out on a regiment of medications and supplements to try to get my pain under control. Eventually I wound up being on 13 different medications but I am now only on 6. The rest of them I am sure that I will be on for the rest of my life but that is okay. It has taken me many years to finally establish a baseline that works for me most of the time, except for the flare ups and the fibrofog. I think that the fibrofog bothers me more than anything else because it makes me feel so stupid and I am always so afraid that I will end up with dementia or Alzheimer's.

After I moved back to TX, I lost 35 lbs. And since I lost that weight, I have gotten much better, that is, most of the time. I no longer have to use my CPAP machine at night when I sleep and I no longer have GERD (reflux). I have been really working on my diet lately, trying to eat much healthier, although I have not been able to resist the donut holes in the mornings. I have gained a little of the weight back but I'm trying to lose it again. But I can honestly say that I would not have been able to do all of this if it were not for the Fentanyl pain patch. Because the patch actually delivers the medicine transdermally (through the skin) instead of internally, which can cause stomach upset, drowsiness, and many other side effects, it can be helpful to those of us who do not tolerate oral pain medicines. I have tried almost every type of pain medication available and they all made me so nauseated and totally whacked out in the head so I just cannot take them. So my doctor at the time put me on the Fentanyl patch and it totally changed my life. I know that this medication is totally addicting but that does not bother me because I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. I had rather be able to be functional instead of drugged out of my mind all the time, which is what I was when I was on the morphine and oxycodone and all the rest of those meds. I still get a lot of really bad pain when I do things like vacuum and it will take me out of action for a while but it eventually passes. Don't get me wrong here, Fentanyl is not a miracle drug and I still have to deal with pain, but before I started using the Fentanyl, I was in a wheel chair which I totally hated. I could only walk a little ways before my back was hurting so bad that I could not stand it. One time I was walking through a parking lot and the pain got so bad that I had to lay down right in the parking lot to relieve some of the pain. So I still have to deal with pain all the time, but it is not so bad that I have to be in a wheel chair anymore.

I know a lot about Fibromyalgia now but I know that there is a lot more for me to learn. I think that education is very important when dealing with something like this. I like this new book because this guy is not only a doctor but he also suffers from Fibromyalgia himself so he knows what it feels like. I was very lucky to have a very knowledgeable doctor when I lived in NC and she really helped me a whole lot. I did have an MRI done and found out that I have back stenosis which causes me a heck of a lot of pain in my lower back. So I do have a lot of pain caused by the stenosis, but a whole lot of my pain comes from the Fibromyalgia.

I was wondering if any of you have tried the two new medications called Lyrica and Cymbalta that have been prescribed for Fibromyalgia. I have read where one doctor says that he thinks that the Cymbalta is better for the Fibro than the Lyrica is. Do any of you know?

Jesse

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes Dr. Pellegrino put me on Cymbalta when he diagnosed me a year and a half ago.Helped somewhat,but my regular Dr. just a week ago put me on 2 - 60mg..a day of the Cymbalta and it has made a difference.And a month and a half ago I started taking the Colloidal Minerals and I NO LONGER have the Fibrofog....Brain Fog,at all !!! I was also totally deficient in vitamin D,so Dr.Pellegrino has me on 2000 i.u. a day of D3 and my Growth Hormones were too low and he has me on Colostrum.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

synda,

Oh wow! I am so glad that you told me this. I am very low in vitamin D also. I found that out when I was in AU so I also had my doctor here check my vitamin D to see if it was still low and he said that it was (the normal should be about 50 ng/ml and mine was only 10 ng/ml) and told me to start taking 2000 i.u. per day. I know that vitamin D comes from the sun as well as taking it in a supplement but I have had skin cancer and I am also on some other meds that tell me specifically never to get in the sun so I cannot go out in the sun at all. I had no idea that getting my vitamin D level back up could help clear up the fibrofog. So I am going to go get some vitamin D the next time I go out. My husband is also very low in vitamin D also so I think that we both should start taking it. So let me ask you, did you start taking the 2000 all at once or did you start out with a lower dose and work up to 2000? And when do you take it, in the morning or at night? Thanks so much for sharing this with me.

I am already taking Prozac but it is not the greatest in the world, although it works much better for me than any of the rest of them. That is why I was thinking about taking the Cymbalta. And I also take Amitriptyline at night and I that has really helped with the pain in my chest. When I first moved to NC I had this really bad pain in my chest. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest with a wooden stake or metal spike and it felt like that it was coming out my back. The pain went from the front of my chest through to my back and nothing helped me. They sent me for all kinds of tests and X-rays and they showed nothing. Then one day I saw this doctor that was filling in for the doctor I had been seeing. This was before I started seeing the lady doctor that was such a great doctor. Anyway, this fill in doctor said that there had been a lot of positive results in treating this type of pain with Amitriptyline and so he prescribed it for me. I started taking that and in a week or so that pain was completely gone! It was wonderful! I had had that pain for so long and no matter what they tried it would not go away. And here this fill in doctor comes along and he helped me so much. So I am sold on the fact that Amitriptyline really does help with the pain. I have been on the Prozac for so long that I think that I have built up a tolerance to it. I did this one other time before and had to stop taking it for a while. So I think that I need to switch to something else again. I need to see my doctor next week and I think I will at least ask him about it.

So do you take two 60 mg tablets per day? I do not know what strengths that it comes in since I have never taken it before. I have never heard of colostrum before except for the stuff that is produced in a mother's milk right after she has a baby. Is that the same type of stuff that you are talking about? only in another form?

Thanks so much for letting me ask you so many questions. Like I said earlier, that is one of the ways that we help ourselves get better is by learning more information. And that is also one of the great things that I love about DG. Most of the people on here are so friendly and willing to share things with others and I think that is so great that we can all help each other out. I really love that about DG. And I sure am going to start taking the vitamin D as soon as I can get some.

Jesse

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Jesse,
There is vitamin D and then there vitamin D3.I have no idea of what the difference is,but Dr.Pellegrino told me to take the D3,started out at 2000 i.u.
I used to take Prozac years ago,boy is there ever a difference in that compared to Cymbalta.Cymbalta started working in days,not weeks.And boy if I run out,I can't even stand my own personality.....LOL.The Cymbalta,I started out with 30mg and after a couple weeks they moved it up to 60mg.The Dr. gave me sample to start.Now I take the 2- 60mg every morning.
The Colostrum ,I bought the first bottle off of Dr.Pellegrino,but then I looked up the brand name on the bottle and now just buy them through the mail, a lot cheaper.I take 2 - 500 mg a day.Here is the site http://www.e-tyh.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=130 If you research colostrum,as we get older we lose it and we still need it.
If you have any questions just ask.......that is the only way to help each other.And if you'd like to call me,send me a Dmail and I'll give you my number.We can compare notes....LOL.
That website is where I got Dr.Pellegrino's book to.

~Synda

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

That website also carries other stuff to...My momma get a lot of kidney ifections so I got her Cranberry pills.And they have a lot of other stuff for fibro to.Dr.Pellegrino did a lot of odd blood work as the blood tech called it....LOL.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have used the cranberry pills in the past also and they worked great for me too. Luckily I do not have any problems with that anymore. I am doing some exploring on that site that you gave me right now.

What kind of odd blood work did he do, if you don't mind me asking?

Jesse

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't really know ,I just think not many Dr ask for blood work on like VitaminD and Growth Hormone ,I don't remember what all he ordered.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

TTYL..........Going to bed.Night Jesse

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

synda,

I went to see the nurse today so that I could get my meds and I asked her about switching to Cymbalta. She told me that she could not switch my meds, all she can do is to continue the ones that I am currently on. So she told me to come back in the morning at 8:00 and I will be on stand by and the doctor will work me in as soon as he can. I will probably be there for a while. And when I asked her about the Cymbalta and I told her that I have fibro, she agreed that it would probably be best for me. So hopefully the doctor will agree with me and put me on the Cymbalta and take me off of the Prozac. Since it seems that I have built up a tolerance to the Prozac again this seems to be the best thing for me. So when I go see him tomorrow I sure hope that he will switch me. He does not have the greatest bed side in the world. But hopefully he will give me the Cymbalta and continue with my Tegretol.

I was reading the book by Dr Pellegrino again and it says that I really should be taking the CoQ10 because I take a cholesterol lowering med and also a tricyclic med. So I would like to get that and some Vitamin D and E and maybe some magnesium and malic acid. And the colostrum would be a good idea too. I really want to get in better health and I think that taking some of the supplements will really help. I have cut back on the donut holes although I do have to get some every once in a while. I have also cut out the chocolate and have started eating fruit instead. I noticed that once I stop eating the chocolate for a while that I don't even want it anymore. So hopefully but doing all of these things I can get in better health. I want to be able to do as much as possible. I am really tired of not being able to do much and I'm really tired of the fibrofog. I am hoping that by eating right and taking some supplements that I will be able to do more.

What are the Colloidal Minerals that you are taking? I have never heard of those before.

Jesse

Burleson, TX(Zone 7b)

Lyrica has changed my life. Although I can take much more than I do, I take one 50mg every night about an hour before bed. The first week or two I didn't notice much difference and almost stopped taking it.

But now I feel so much better. I get around better and my back and neck feel so much better, I have not been to chiropractor in months!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a friend that takes the Lyrica.. I would give anything to be able to afford it.. No insurance since mine went up to over $500.00 monthly & didn't cover meds anyway...I have heard good things about it.. but it's almost $300.00 around here.

Larkie

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Woah! talk about "spot on"!! This answers so many questions and identifies many others for me!! Thnk you , Synda for sharing this!

Sheri

Tricyclics should not be taken along with NTRI's. Perhaps your Prozac dosage simply needs to be increased. I have seen many give up on Prozac before trying it at maz dosage levels and if it has worked well for you in the past,, that woud seem proferable before changing to something new. Cymbalta has been shown to help the neuro pan in diabetics (which we are not) It made me have suicidal thoughts, serious ones

I lived for many years being treated for chronic back stain and depression ( not that unusual for a nurse) still did not like those labels., the back "issues" I felt were the reason for carreer stalemates nothing that I could certainly ever prove but one acquires............oh well uh.. I'm sure you all know the story...about eight or nine years ago, I had 3 different new pt Drs appts ..... in within a 48 hour window,....well..*sigh*, all 3 A and cilillian Mental health = Psychiatrist and civilian family healrhh(highly recommended by an MD friend that I have done fil in staff relief assistance help for, however I've never actually been employed by this friend. Each of the three new Drs all mentioned Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia type and now I can't even think of the other thing, but this was back 10 years ago. Fortunately for me I wa already a 305 rated dissabled USAF veteran which did expedite the dsability process some.I mean, since one branch of our givt had already rated me permantnt and total alnother could not deny that and so something waas guaranteed and I got the creem of the pudding so to speak. There is another fight oming up being a woman, they want to push a lot under the rug, buty I am also a victum of MST (military sexual traumak- which they are not wanting to give me a raating for BUt the PTSD is from the mst and rape so.......as the world turns... I thank my God for each new dayas soon as I remember ^_^!!

Sheri

ps...please try your best to over look my typos. something has happened to my spell ceck and it is al full of typos, since switching to vista grrrr

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sheri, I downloaded a google tool bar and it has spell check for vista........

Hugs baby,we are all in the same boat just a different road got us here.

Thank you for all you have done and the suffering for us all.

Thumbnail by synda

synda - you have d-mail

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sheri nothing showed up?????

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I had started a thread on the accessible gardening forum about fibromyalgia and after a while they wanted to change the name in order to include everyone with a disability. Anyway I did not know there was another forum on fibro. Birdie/ sheri and I had connected on the other forum and she sent me a link here. I am so glad to have others to chat with who understand this horrible disease. Everytime I read about someone else who has it I cringe. I hate so much that others are suffering like I am. All our stories sound about the same. Healthy people have no idea how depressing it is to deal with this kind of pain. I am 46 and have had it since I was a child but only got diagnosed about 13 years ago. I have tried lyrica and my face and feet swelled on it. I tried cymbalta I think and cannot remember why i can't take it. I take elavil and cannot sleep without it. Sometimes I just can't sleep period. When I tried prozac years ago it seem to cause me to be wired or restless and I went 5 days and nights without sleep. I had to be hospitalized and taken off it and put back on elavil. Not sleeping caused chest pain, dr. said. He told me a mouse in lab test will die after 5 days without sleep so I guess it is a good thing I am not a mouse LOL. I love flowers and so it is so great to connect with others who have fibro and love gardening also. Maybe there is a connection between the 2, who knows? I am so glad Birdie sent me this link. I hope to get to know you all someday. So here is a gentle hug from a sister that is suffering with fibro just like each of you. Wish we had something painfree in common instead of fibro. Love and Prayers, Scraps

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Sheri, are you still up? We cross posted I think. Thanks so much for this link. It is so good to chat with people who know what we are dealing with. Sounds like I am reading a story about my life when I read their post. I have always felt like everyone around me thinks I am lying or faking being sick. People do not treat cancer patients that way. Just because you cannot see our health issue does not mean it is not real. Have you ever wondered how we would be treated if we had a pain scale on our foreheads that says she is in major pain today. Maybe people would have some compassion if we turned purple or orange when we hurt. It is as if since they can't see it then it must not be real. That may sound silly but I wish my motherinlaw could see I am in pain but I still keep trying day in and day out. When I was healthy I could clean my house from top to bottom in 2 hours and be ready for inspection by my mom.(who is a neat freak) Now I can't sweep without sitting on a stool. I am going to go to bed and try again to sleep. I went to bed at 11 and was back up at 1:00. But I will come back to this forum. Goodnight scraps

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I dispise the pain,there are things in my head I want and NEED to do(like clean my house)but my body says no way.I hate myself to a degree,I to am 46 and have had it all my life.I was just diagnosed 2 years ago.What hurts the most is when family and friends look at you like you are just making it up to get sympathy or out of doing things.I wouldn't wish this on anyone,but the none believers I wish they could feel my pain and walk in my shoes for 1 month.And then judge me ! We are always pinching pennies because I can't work.Fibro put a strain on more than just your health,it sucks the life out of your entire being.I tell my DH I feel like a Slug,no purpose in life but to just set or lay around.Now the orthopedic Dr is telling me that since I have very large breast that they are putting my body in a twist and pulling the ligaments and tendons away from my bones.So I'm trying to diet and lose at least 25 lbs and would love to lose 50.After that have a breast reduction done.If it not one thing it's always another.Have to have Gall Bladder surgery 3 years ago,not because I had stones,but because it stopped working and was going to rot.Had a hysterectomy at 32 because of tumors,had Hiatal Hernia surgery at 18.My hair is getting ugly and thin and my skin is sooooooo dry and ugly with a funny color in spots.They think it is yeast under the skin,so I'm taking pills for that now.I have always had a yeast problem.Good Lord I sound like such a whiner.Sorry.......haven't slept in 4 nights,this will be the 5th.Which in turn makes ya hurt more.A big catch 22.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Have any of you became anti social??? I hate to deal with anyone in person.I just want to stay home and do my own thing.I even hate to drive anymore.Traffic scares me to death......and I was never like that.I dread winter,the cold just about kills me.It's like my bone get cold and can't get warm.If it's too hot I can't breath.......no happy medium in Ohio.I feel so guilty,my momma has a real bad heart and I can't and don't even want to deal with and help her.I'm such a bad daughter.

Synda I forgot to hit senda ^_^ you should have dm in da inbox now...oops
hey! ahem...hear me now...
there are no bad daughters hee, just daughteers mebee having baddays is putting it more accurately ??"
watchathink ladies?gnite, gmornin or gmornin gnite it's mid morn anfternal avibbbb

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Snyda,

You are not a bad daughter or a bad person. You simply can't do the things that some other people can because of the Fibro. But I do totally understand how you feel because I feel the same way a lot of the time. My husband is much younger than I am and I think that he would like to go more places and do a lot more things if it were not for me and my fibro. I worry about that all the time. And then there is the thing with me being disabled. Whenever people look at me they see what they think is a normal looking person. They have no idea of how it really is.

I also take Elavil and could not live without it. If I stop taking it for any length of time, I have this pain in my chest and back that is so painful and so I am thankful that I have it to help with the pain. And I guess that I am also anti social too. I would probably stay in my little apartment and never leave it if it were not for my husband. I am thankful that he pushes me to do things that I would not otherwise do. But he has had to learn that he can only push me so much and then I just totally shut down. So I guess that we all have to find that balance of when we can and can't do things. And yes, as you mentioned, it so amazing how our stories are so much alike, because I am also 46 too.

But I am very thankful to have all of you here to talk to. You are the only people that I can talk to about this. I am very thankful for all of you.

Jesse

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Oh man do we all sound alike. I am 46 and antisocial, I just deal with who I have to deal with like family mostly and I have added sheri/ Birdie to my friends list because I chat with her on DG more than I chat with real people. I am struggling right now because we are building a house and doing labor ourselves. My hubs is a carpenter and I do what I can from a chair or rolling stool. I have some pics on my journal or blog thing somewhere on here if you would like to look. We poured concrete last July 3 and let me tell you it has been awfully painful trying to keep up with him. He got layed off work April 30 2009 and since then our house has been his job. he wants to finish it so if he has to go out of town to get work it will be done. I sleep late or did till he got layed off. Now he wakes me most days by 9am occasionally if he knows I had a bad night he will let me sleep until 10 or so. But that is when I feel I sleep best after he and DD leave for school or work. Now I do not get that because he has things he plans for me to do. I am filling nailholes with putty and sanding with a sander, sometimes it is a standing job and I can only stand 5 minutes before back starts hurting. I will be so Thankful when this house is done. We are much closer than I thought I would live to see. I thought clearing the land and cutting trees then sawmilling would kill me. This house will be a Blessing to me because it will be off the road and private. I can grow flowers in peace without people driving by staring at me on my rolling stool. I use a golf cart to get around on property and do not know what I would do without it or my stools. I am so glad Birdie and I found this thread. Ladies we need to bond and keep each other Prayed up. maybe we will discover some link and then help for us by chatting and trying new things. God Bless and goodnight, scraps

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Jesse how much younger is your DH,mine is 8 years younger........LOL.

Mom was telling me today that I need to get rid of the anger inside.........I don't know how,I told her if I knew I would.Sometimes I just feel so cheated,I want to do everything.I had dreams of when our son was grown that we could just do whatever we wanted and now Ryan is 22 and moved out.Rick(DH) and my uncle,aunt and cousins go motorcycle riding at least once on the weekend and I'm afraid to go.If I start hurting I can't shift around on the bike.......so I say you go and have fun,THANK GOD for DG.Sometimes I'm afraid he'll get tired of me not being able to do things and leave.

People tell me after the breast reduction I'll feel better......I pray.I don't remember what it feels like to not hurt at least to some degree.But with age it seems to have gotten A LOT worse.I have doctored all of my life,with never having an answer til now.Answers, but no solution to the problem.

Scraps yes we need to rally together......And the medical association needs to find out more about fibro.Momma gave me the house that I grew up in 4 years ago,it was never finished,so we gutted it down to 2x4's and redid everything.I still need to get the cupboard doors on.But will never move or build or redo a house again.Toooooooo much for me.

Sheri,did that link to the google toolbar work?

Praying we all get sleep and less pain.

Hugs,
~Synda

Thumbnail by synda
Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Would you guys believe I forgot to take night meds again tonight. I went to bed at midnight and back up now because I was just laying there wide awake when I realized i had done it again. That several times lately I have done that. Fibro fog again.

Synda I hope I make it through this time and there will never be another for me either. I will go to nursing home next before I would do it again. Thank goodness it is near his parents so he will never move again either. he is too close to his folks he would never move far from them.

Jesse I have a DD named Jesse spelled the same way. She will need a breast reduction someday if she does not lose weight also. She has all the symptoms of fibro and so does my younger DD. My oldest Jesse is 28, youngest Anna is 18. Jesse is also having problem with diabetes now so she is exercising to help with both. Youngest will not take time to exercise but needs to. She graduated high school this year and is working to have money for college so really does not have much time. Heck I do good to have time to eat and shower lately. But still overweight. Well, I think I will try again to go to sleep. Night scraps

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images