Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plumerias: My plumerias in new 'home'

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 17, Views: 356
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6413676

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/658158/

There was this old thread. I had posted pictures of my Plumeria that I grew from seed and last year I had to move out of that garden and start a new one again. Some of you might have followed my thread in the Prayers forum last year and also my blog that is going on here at DG. I've posted what all transformation took place here.

I did not want to leave my plumerias. I brought the cuttings and after some months of neglect [busy], 3 of them were planted. Two varieties. I planted one in the cement bag not knowing where to put the extra. Now this is showing buds. Not even a month of putting the cutting in soil. I planted the two varieties so close that they would grow side by side - just one foot separates them.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6413691

The one in the yellow bag is having buds. Note the difference in size and distance between the two in the ground.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6413732

Dinu - be sure to post pictures of the blooms!!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6413901

Sure, they are the same as in that linked thread. I'm glad it is growing. When I visited my friend last evening, he had a lovely purple one that he collected from some tree. It was brilliant! I went there for something else and so I had no camera with me.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

April 16, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6416138

At least now when it does have flowers you can enjoy them more when the plants so high you can hardly see the flowers. I would have had to have come how with a cutting of the purple never mind the picture lol

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7824983

After a year now... this is how it is.
More leaves. I've put the two one foot apart.

Thumbnail by Dinu

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 25, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7826839

Ah, at last! The garden is looking good Dinu! It looks like everything has recovered from the move.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7835467

The garden has settled now and the plumy has grown to the height of the compound wall, going up for more light.

Here is a new view of the yard.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9087452

Two years since I last posted the picture of the plant above, I return to post that both of them seem to be doing well, the smaller one remains small and seems to be going slow but the other one is nice and tall, have gone above the compound wall. A bunch of flowers is here as I post this. The above picture of me there in my yard will have a different look as the yard is undergoing a reshape - the new house has come up in the space you see there in the b/g there. Shorter and smaller garden. The plumeria is on the back of the person who took my picture, some 30 feet away, beyond the pond.

Thumbnail by Dinu

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 18, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9088270

Dinu, good to see you posting here again! We grow many of the same plants, but I enjoy the differences in critters, life styles , and cultures. Don't be such a stranger!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9088491

Ha ha, OCCAROL! I have only two of them to share. I see a couple of colourful plumerias near my house - old trees - and I feel like plucking a branch away and growing here. I'll get them one day after asking the owner as I have now known that they can be grown in some small container also. We sit under the huge plumeria tree every day outside our office canteen. Many of us prefer outdoors as we can avoid noise from lots of people talking at the same time and it echoes! Here in our country, it is like that - people usually talk in such a way that they do not bother about their surroundings... even loud laughing. But for us under the tree, it is more peaceful. This is in bloom now. Since I don't carry a camera or even a mobile I cannot share a shot of that tree. Let me see if I have one in my archive. I had taken one. Remind me. I'll dig and take it up.

10b zone is similar and so we are likely to have similar vegetation, even if we are half way round the world.

Dinu
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 19, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9089246

The climate zones may be similar, but they only deal with the cold hardiness of plants. They don't tell you anything about the heat, the humidity, or the rain fall (or when it rains). We get very little rain (a little over 8" for the year, so far), and all of our rains are during the cold months, which seem to be over.

Carol

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9089732

Carol, many thanks for this interesting insight to me about the climate zone. I had not earlier thought about it in even this much detail! Now I have got the gist of it. I have dug the photo successfully. The tree must be about 50 years old [wild guess]. Can you think of its age? We sit under it on the cement platform you see there. We also do not go into the shed where there are tables and chairs also. This is outside the canteen hall next to it. During blooming season, the flowers keep falling all around every now and then. My friend takes a very thin stick that is also fallen and pierces it into many fallen flowers and makes a garland... all in 10-15 minutes after tea/coffee while we chat and go back to our workplace. I have to dig again for that photo - had taken when my pocket Sony camera was working.

Thumbnail by Dinu

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9089983

That is amazing! Thank you for posting it!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9112586

Back to the Plumerias in my yard. Can you see it there? That dark area is the shed I built yesterday. Only roof and pole. This is just beside the Plumeria plants. One has grown taller than the wall. The smaller one is sending out a branch almost horizontally, as if a person is stretching the arm asking something. That is where more light is. The tree above it won't allow it to grow branches on to our side.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9621030

Here is a picture again, one year later. There are blooms here and there.

Thumbnail by Dinu

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9627991

This is a very interesting thread. I am glad that you have posted pictures of the progress and growth of your plants over a number of years. I also enjoy hearing about you and your co-workers sitting outside the canteen under that beautiful tree with the blooms falling around you. It does sound very peaceful.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9628000

Thanks PeeperK.
That picture became the subject of my blogpost in which I featured how 'flower thieves' go about their morning business. Do read if you have time: http://mysoreanmusings.blogspot.in/2013/08/flower-thieves.html There are 180+ posts before this post, on different subjects. Also notice the Yarden blog on the right side, linked. It is all about my gardening.. gardening stories, pictures... Do respond if you read them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America