Photo by Melody

Article: The Best Veggie Garden $1 Can Buy: Great ingenuity, Suzanne!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Best Veggie Garden $1 Can Buy
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Best Veggie Garden $1 Can BuyReplies: 8, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6414299

This is an absolutely inspired method of gardening. Helps the overproduction of manure and the production of healthy food. We don't see enough of that in this country. Congratulations on your creativity!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6414771

Cudos on your frugality. If you have a Starbucks nearby, they give out used coffee grounds to gardeners for free! Worms love coffee grounds! I snatch the coffee grounds from our office pot at lunch everyday to add to my garden. People here put out bags of grass clippings for trash pickup and I play trash guy and pick them up to mix with torn up junk mail in the compost pile. I could scoop up bagged leaves in the Fall too - if I didn't have enough of my own.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6416171

very nice!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

April 16, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6416354

Great job, Suzanne! Let us know how the veggies grow for you. I bet you have a bumper crop.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6417138

Wonderful article, Suzanne!
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6436148

Good going! I don't have a lot of cardboard around here, but I do have stacks and stacks of newspapers I can use. I'll just put down a thick layer of wet papers and put the plastic on top.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6436638

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it goes!
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6437397

This is great! You have put in LOTS of inventiveness and sweat equity into your new garden, and I hope you get bumper crops of all those great veggies. I'll be up for a harvest dinner!
bozley
Columbus, OH

April 20, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6437409

Suzanne,
Great article. This year, we are going to seal the wood from two old, queen size water bed frames and do raised beds for our tomatoes. We are going to use soil from my 20 year old compost pile, that for the last two years, my partner has been turning in with decomposed horse manure that he has been bringing back from his sister's horse barn. The only cost to us will be the paint to seal the wood. For years I have probably spent hundreds of dollars on lime, agricultural sand and peat (in addition to my compost) trying to improve the hard clay here in Ohio. This year we're making it easy on ourselves and doubling the size of our vegetable crops. Now we can have room for corn, eggplants, squash, melons and onions. Our lettuce is already growing in old recycled containers and our peas are coming up in discarded planters from neighbors.
Way to go girl! We are our parents generation, recycle, reuse.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Best Veggie Garden $1 Can Buy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cheap materials dordee 2 Feb 24, 2011 8:55 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America