Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in Your neighborhood-visit with friends #17

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 167, Views: 1,009
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6419865

Getting us back on track.. thought you would have noticed the error..2 - no.15 threads..lol...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6420017

Yes, it is in the 60's today Betty. 18 C. Next week is supposed to be in the mid 20'sC. Woo Hoo! Can't wait, and yes, it is very exciting, watching everything opening up and growing. ^_^

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6420192

20C here in TBay today .. Delphinium is popping as is the 'Pig Squeak' (bergenia) and ..maybe some creeping phlox .. more awesome temps tomorrow !!

SAD folks here in TBay (and other cities as well) our LARGE paper mill 'Abitibi Bowater' has declared bankruptcy .. hundreds (thousands) of lives affected.

Had painting estimate #5 today .. and I am 99% sure I will go with the young fellow who came today .. you know you're getting older (wiser) when you call someone who is 38yrs old, a "young fellow" LoL
Have no idea when this will commence .. still have to pick out the paint.
He says he'll be here for 4 full days .. gimmee strength and COLOUR ideas .. I am going darker in the living/dining areas (a light cocoa) .. and the rest of the house will be a lighter colour .. I can see this being a MAJOR headache ..
AND .. I will put up border ( I love it) on my own .. have been giving stenciling some thought as well (less messy)
I wonder if I will be eligible for the 'renovation' kickback in Ontario ?

Thanks for moving us Betty .. and, as always .. good luck with all your projects ^_^

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6420871

Hi folks, I haven't written much, but have popped in to read. Am keeping busy and haven't even been in the garden much.

Have a good evening.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6423389

How exciting for you "M" to have the entire place painted at once..a mess for sure but then it's over...I'm not very brave when it comes to color, not at all..went to Suzanne's to start her bedroom flooring last night, her bedroom furniture arrives tomorrow, talk about leaving it to the last minute..anyway, she did her room in perriwinkle blue, purple tint to it..bit dark for me but perhaps when the white bedroom outfit and co-ordinating bedding is in the room and white trim it won't look so dark...going to finish the project tonigh..shouldn't be late because we got a lot done last night and organzing of project..

Sorry to hear about Abitibi, much like the steel mills in Hamilton..entire town is affected and not much hope of bringing in other major companies to employ all who have lost their jobs..sad times for sure...praying for the economy...

It will reach near 20 today..cooler over the weekend but with sun being so strong we should see major growth in the gardens..still no flowers in mine..keep looking though..

Cathy who looked after the animals while I was away enjoying myself with the boys raked the entire yard, now that's a lot of raking..when I got home all leaves were tarped..managed to burn a few barrels full..then when I got home last night, she had been to the house and burnt everything...got to find something special as a thank you..she will not take $$$..that will make my life easier and now I can enjoy watching my plants grow..

A zillion seeds to plant but still much too early, most likely not until mid-May..

Don, what are you doing in your garden?

Ann, you are as busy as i if not more so...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6423590

Good morning,

Another glorious day here. I've been out to aquafit and to coffee. Now back for a short time before heading out to Raging Grannies meeting. Here are some crocuses for you. Enjoy. today will probably be the last day for them.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6423627

I have been pruning roses, and preparing space for 4 Heather Plants that I ordered from The Heather Farm on Vancouver Island. They are being shipped on Monday. I have also prepared Pots, Urns and Hanging baskets with a good mix of potting soil for the upcoming annual season. Am expecting an order from Botanus to arrive any day now and I want to be ready. Have a new Hybrid Tea Rose coming as well, so it's spot is preped and waiting. Can you tell I am anxious to get "growing"? ^_^

Today, I am going to check out a local nursery ...just to "Look". Wish me Luck!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6424266

Good luch with your 'CHEQUE' at the local nursery Don LoL

We have a dreary day here today .. I;m on call with VCARS so don't mind too much. Besides .. I BOOKED the painter today .. he was quite happy .. he will come on April 27 and be here 4 full days .. before then, as I have said, I have to go and pick COLOURS .. THE most unenviable job in the world, at least to me .. I am NOT a decision maker .. but .. maybe with a dealine looming, I'll be better.
Have already started taking down the borders that are up .. NEVER ever think when you buy 'dry stripable' wallpaper that when it is removed .. it's a breeze .. YES it comes off nicely .. however .. it leaves behind this teeny thin layer of paper stuck true to the wall !! .. have to wet that leftover with water and fabric softener then scrape it off !! .. BIG job .. glad we have help !!

Best get back at it ..

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 19, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6432370

Sunday .. and it is COOL by big ol Lake Superior today .. a brisk wind from the north east is making the wood stove happy as it has a brief reprieve from it's mini slumber.

No yard work on the agenda .. just Lilly walks and lots of happy (and noisy) Black birds/Ravens and Sea Gulls and Blue Jays. I cleaned out the fridge freezer and found about 10 lonely and decrepit hamburger buns that were shall we say a bit FROST BITTEN .. so .. the wars are on for who takes claim of them since I threw them out on the lawn.

My bud Jo-Anne is on her way out here to try and help me make sense of all these colour swatches .. here's hoping when she leaves I will be more content and able to sleep .. stuff like this niggles at me until such a time as I am able to make a decision ..

Hope everyone is well and warm

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6433377

Warm in Ottawa today and sunny. We got quite a bit more garden picked up - mostly oak leaves which drop long after we want to work in the garden. Also started screening last year's compost and mulching certain gardens with it.

And we decided that a small area of the back yard should be turned into garden since the lawn is mostly violets anyway - very poor quality grass. So we layered it with wet newspaper and I dumped all my large patio pots onto it. Usually I save about half the soil from season to season, but it was readily available to get this garden started. I'll get some bags of soil and maybe mushroom compost and add more but this will hold the newspaper down.

Have a rehearsal tonight; so I'm off to make dinner.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 19, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6433891

Good luck with your NEW garden Ann .. I bet it'll be awesome :-)

I am looking out the windows at a SNOW FLURRY .. which has been active for about an hour !! I don't expect the snow to stay ...

My bud and I did the marathon colour selection this aft .. and .. I have my colours chosen ^_^

I best go and see where my shovels are :-(

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6436465

MERRY XMAS !!!! From Thunder Bay .. 10cm on the ground and 6-7cm expected before the rain starts to fall.
Thick heavy snow ... only one happy about it is Lilly cuz she LOVES to dive into the snow and roll LoL

The Robins are quite confused ...

Cleaning off the tops of the kitchen cabinets today in preparation for the painter ... the dish washer will be busy !!
Hadn't quite realized just how dusty it can get way up there !!
Will have to wash the Toby Mug collection by hand ..

Hope everyone has a great week

~M~
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6436752

...only in Canada, ya' say? Pity...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 20, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6436769

Ann your garden plans sounds wonderful..there is a lawn filled with purple flowers down the block..I'll have to take a photo to show you, not sure what they are, deep blue purple...if it were my place I'd hate to cut the grass..lol..

OMG "M" not the 'snow' word surely...please don't send it my way..it's dull and cold here today, calling for rain until Wednesday I believe..

Had so many ups/downs this weekend that it just took my energy away..Thurs. evening after work went to Suzanne and we started her bedroom floor...Friday after getting off at 3pm headed back there and not only got it finished but a hallway as well..her bedroom furniture was arriving Sat. so talk about being under pressure...

Early morning I was up, cleaning out my craft studio, my laundry room, woodworking room, basement entrance and family room filled with all the supplies/tables, etc.

By 9:30 my girlfriend Darlene picked me up, we stopped and picked up another friend Diane and off to class registration..I booked I believe 4..portraits, memory booklet, daisy 3d painting, cards..might be another, can't remember..lol...home we came, Darlene brought painting clothes and shortly after arriving home Diane brought her DH and within a few hours the room had 2 fresh coats of light grey paint..

Was at a standstill so had the rest of the evening to put my feet up, thank goodness, knees ached, wrists hurting from all the clicking of flooring so I enjoyed every minute of it..Darlene called to say she and DH would be at the house early am and we'd get the flooring done...

First roll of 20' was put down, fitting each cut with perscision..2nd 20' roll put down, ooops, they shorted me 5', change of plans, had bought 2 - 8' rolls for the side room, we'd work on that..looked at it, and although it was the same color and design, one was matt and one semi-gloss so there went that project down to tube much to my dismay..

Mike packed up his tools..they were heading to Midland to shop..to save me a trip they picked up door trim and baseboard/paint materials..I was so disheartened and no energy that I said, forget it...this morning I was up early, sorry that I didn't do paint so did it before leaving for work, I'll give 2nd coat tonight..in the meantime I went to the flooring store this a.m. - told them all my wooes..they have another 30 mega rolls of it and are hoping one or two is semi-gloss, otherwise all the prescision cutting will have to be redone...

I is not a happy camper...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6436902

Everyone sounds so busy with their gardening plans!
Mine are mostly clean-up - the church yard needs de-thatching, and prepping of the flowergardens (perennials, mainly - much easier to keep up!), and the fallen tree limbs to get rid of.
We just bought a Toro leaf blower that says it has a speed of 235 mph (yikers! watching out for stones...), and reduces 16 bags to 1!!! It's ours, so we'll be using it @ home, too - bye bye leaves!!! I think we have 16 bags worth in our tiny yard alone LOL

My hen & chicks are looking good, and I have some buds on the johnny-jump-ups (violas), so that looks good. Otherwise, I guess it's going to be green for quite awhile so it's a perfect time for clean-up :-)
Other than Christmas, this is my fav time of the year - everything is so STARTLING in it's newness and we get to promote a fresh, clean start to our year. Everything we do now is the groundwork (pun intended lol) for the beauty we see later.
violist
Calgary
Canada

April 20, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6436949

I love popping in to hear the ups and downs of everyone's lives. I imagine that each of you is a strong force for good in your community.

Ann, what was played on the viola recital?

I met another Positive Living person in Whitehorse this week (where I was adjudicating at the music festival). She was one inspiring lady.

There is still two feet of snow on the ground in the Yukon, food for thought if you are tired of winter. And on Friday up there it snowed heavily all day.

Here at home, I finally got some of my plants in the greenhouse yesterday, so there is room to repot. It really feels joyful! My favorite time of year!

theresa

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6437129

Theresa - what kind of greenhouse do you have?

2 feet of snow?!!? I was hoping the radio weather was right an we'd get all of our snow gone by the end of last weekend! I don't know how I'd do with Yukon's snowfall. I'm just getting used to Calgary's late spring as compared with Winnipeg's. Winnipeg has a few more weeks (Victoria Day long w/e) before the frost is out of the ground and they're planting. lol Calgary has to wait until Mid-June for it LOL

It is a beautiful time of year!! 21c today wooooooo hooooooooooo!! Already 16c now! :-)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6437176

Hi folks,
I stopped by the FC to check mail since I've had no power at home since 5 am. Can't go on too long.

Violist - that student played all of Schwanendreher, Vieuxtemps Elegie and a Brahms Sonata. wonderful to hear it on an instrument which I loved.

I'm heading home. Warmer in the garden than in my house and I can get some work done.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2009

Post #6442129

Ann, hope you have power back on..

High winds and heavy rainfall last night..can't believe just how much a 100 year old oak tree can sway from side to side..still standing this morning so all is well in my world..

Did a quick walk around in the gardens..although NO flowers, the plants must have grown at least 2 or 3" since last weekend..flowers can't be far behind...

Dull and cold here, goodness the dampness goes right through you..I've the micro heater on to keep me warm, something I rarely did in winter time..

Good news is they are calling for 20 -24 this weekend..drats, we'll have to start the flooring early morning so I can play in the gardens..

yep, prep work will surely give those plants a boost...

What are you all up to today...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6442481

Weather has been wonderful here in Southern BC over the past several days. Yesterday the mercury reached 25C and more of the same today. All it takes is a little heat and the trees are bursting open with leaves. Planted my Heather yesterday and they look happy and healthy. Botanus order is on it's way by expedited mail; should arrive today. Expecting my Hortico Rose to arrive any day now as well.

But our luck will end at the end of the week with below average temps predicted. No matter...live for today! ^_^
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6442535

Oh I forgot to 'watch' this new thread so I have missed everything! Have had some nice weather here and yard cleanup is going along nicely - have about 2/3 of the front left to do. Lots of little things popping up and blooming and other things showing green - I have lots of spring blooming perennials .Under the layers of leaves the daffodil border in front is up maybe 3-4 inches.. I am being rather lazy this year which is typical after a year of the garden competition - leaving lots of leaves on the ground and generally just tidying.
My new lasagna bed has not done so well - the newspaper over the grass just did not deteriorate over the winter - guess it was not wet enough and I did not start it until well into Sepember I think. And the soil has not settled down of course. I have a lot of hostas coming to plant there so trying to keep it wet and hope the papers start disappearing!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6442961

Don, sure am hoping to get some of your sunshine..

Fancyvan,sorry about the lasagna bed..will you be able to salvage it?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6442988

Slog/slog/slog .. through our MUD,MUD,MUD !!! Spits and spats of snow and freezing rain today .. the sun came out while I was in visitng my Hospice client .. we both got so excited .. then .. POOF it went away.
Her room is on the 5th floor .. and th hospital is just a few blocks up from the Lake .. so we watched some lake boats slowly making their way into the city .. slow going as the port just opened last week and the ice is a bit .. hmmm .. well I guess 'chunky' would be the best word ...

Nice to hear everyones gardens are popping .. my east perennial garden continues to prevail .. most especially the Delphinium .. I am sure it grows an inch a day or more ..

Anyone experiencing the warm temps ENJOY .. our turn will come ^_^

Wonder if Ann's power came back .. thought we might lose ours yesterday as things were flickering intermittently .. but .. so far so good ...

ENJOY

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6443039

Betty yes it will be OK I will just have to dig holes in the newspaper when I plant! I am keeping it as wet as possible , running the sprinkler on it every couple days - should be OK by next year. I did it so late in the year I guess the paper just didnt have a chance!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6443217

now you cover the ground with newsprint, do you add anything to it...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6443435

Hi folks,

We got power back around noon yesterday - shortly after I left home. it had been out since around 5 am. I had a bank deposit to do and tried to shop at Loblaws only to find the store closed while they did some renovations. They WERE handing out coupons for a free shopping bag.

I was a bit miffed because I had interrupted a bus ride home last Friday to pick up a few items only to find the store closed because of a computer problem. I don't think that was planned, but given the number of people in hard hats eating lunch outside yesterday, that had to be planned.

Once home, I DID work in the garden a bit - screened three more large wheelbarrow loads of compost. Started raining last night (needed) but that means no yard work today.

This morning - aquafit at 8 am. Home for breakfast and to teach two students before heading downtown to get my hair cut. Did grocery shopping on the way home. now catching up on Internet and will practice a bit as I have rehearsal this evening.

Fancy - some of my newspaper didn't break down by last spring either, but I had the soil deep enough that I could plant and by the end of the season, most of it had. Its main purpose is to kill off the grass and I'm now hoping maybe violets as well. I'm still adding soil to the small garden extension in the back yard this spring but I won't put anything except annuals there at first and I tried very hard not to make holes in the newspaper until I was SURE the grass was dead.

Marilynne - sure hope you keep your power. You warmer weather WILL come, I'm sure. It's quite chillly here today along with the rain, but they are promising us sun and close to 30 degrees on Saturday. My earliest tulips started blooming right on cue before the crocuses finished. The Pulmonaria is blooming and so is the Scilla. It will be awhile yet for most of the tulips though. (Should have daffs soon in a few places).

Ann
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6443438

You guys are always so busy! I'm going to start taking my camera with me when ever I go out. I missed a perfect shot yesterday. I was on the grounds of a local retreat centre when I saw a mama deer, followed closely by her Triplets! They were all kind of mottled in their fur. I was in the car, engine off and windows open. They came as close as 10 feet. What a picture it would've made.

i've segregated my iris pot because yesterday they were covered by brown aphids. All my plants are back in pots, we have about 4" of soil cover over bedrock. I am growing a nice crop of dandelions though, removing them keeps me busy.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6443608

Betty there is a layer of compost and then topsoil over the newspapers. I only put the newspaper down because it was grass area and I soaked the papers before the loam went on. I shifted some of the loam off because it had not sunk and there are actually stonestepping stones thru to the side yard which is a dog run ( unused) and I store things there.

This is what it looked like when I finished last year - I see it was the end of Sept.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 21, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6443652

Probably something like I did with a cloth type material..did it in the DG friendship garden, each time I plant something I have to dig a hole in the mesh..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6445518

Betty this is how I did my last lasagna garden - http://www.violaann.smugmug.com/gallery/4580246_FZnab

I did it at the end of summer and didn't plant anything permanent in it for the first winter.
Most of the newspaper had broken down by the end of the summer.

In zones that are warm enough it can function as a horizontal composter, but that wouldn't work well in most area of Canada.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 22, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6446981

Ann I so enjoyed your gallery..very interesting...I'm sure this year it will be spectacular...your yard is simply elegant...thanks for sharing..

Guess you have to leave it untouched one season before planting? that's the hard part..

Rain and damp out there..dressed as though it's winter..now they say that come Friday we'll have a heat wave..

Not sure I posted this last weekend, but everything was taken out of the craft room, had bought 280 sq.ft. of wood looking linoleum to do the floor..started out Saturday with a few friends and the room was painted light grey, Sunday, Mike and Darlene came to help me lay the flooring..the most difficult piece 20' in length was cut and fit like a charm, out came the 2nd piece, they cut 15' rather than 20', drats now what, so we decided at least we could do the side room of the craft room which would take 2- 8' pieces, layed one down and it wasn't the same..what I wanted and what was down was semi-gloss type sheen, these 2 pieces were matt...couldn't finish the project, all the rooms downstairs look like a disaster as all my craft junk is now stored in them..Monday I was able to exchange the rolls..I've painted the new door trim and baseboards ready for Saturday..counting the days..wouldn't you know, now that I've scheduled a work weekend, it will be sunshine...

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 10:08 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 22, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6447357

Got 2/3 of the front beds cleaned up yesterday, maybe finish today - maybe not - they are predicting S...!

My senior foster Trouper has been moved upstairs to my bedroom - anticipating he will be here for a long time so he might as well join us. I had to teach him to go up the stairs! My stairs turn half way and when a dog looks up from the main floor they just see the wall so often they are afriad to go up.
City's blue box recycling program has started this week - lots of complaints, lots of compliments. I am annoyed to pay for something I have done free for years but it is certainly more convenient - and - in the two weeks I have been filling the box - that plastic was apparently taking up more room than I imagined - I have only one small bag of regular garbage ( in addition to the two bags of animal poo) . Now if they would just start taking the compostable stuff I would be very happy!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 22, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6447816

Hi everyone.
Here is a photo of my mimulas from my greenhouse. It's where I am getting my spring infusion as everything else is still brown!
It's only 9 degrees out there today and at least -10 tonight so I will be bringing my tender stuff in from the GH just to be safe.
I have seen the robins back and the nuthaches so I figure we should be a bit warmer.
Oh well I need patience.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6448378

Ann, they look real nice. You best put the heat on tonight. Yesterday the car outside thermometer read 26C. I think it's about 9 out there now, overcast and windy. A good day to stay in and get those wretched taxes done.

Linda

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 22, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6448452

Linda, do you think the plants will survive the aphides?

As for weather, it's cold and dreary here, hard to believe they are calling for summer over the weekend..

Ann perhaps you best bring those beauties inside for the night..

Went over to the little restaurant down the street, next to the grocery store, see they have the tent set up for plants/shrubs etc. so drove to see if it was open, not yet..imagine another week or so ..

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 22, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6448998

O sigh a blizzard.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 22, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6449035

OMG no, say it isn't so...you are not having snow are you?
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 22, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6449232

Yes it's flaking.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 22, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6449263

My back yard a couple of hours ago!

Should I make cookies Dahlianut?

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 3:43 PM

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6449631

Outside

Thumbnail by joannabanana

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6449635

Inside

Thumbnail by joannabanana

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6449818

Oh no! Not snow! My heart goes out to you. Bring those lovely flowers in if they are at risk in the GH.

Betty, I realized that I didn't add any pics of the garden once it was planted and edged; so I just did that. I started my new garden in the early autumn; so leaving it through the winter wasn't a real problem. And even if you started such a garden in the spring, you could surely grow annuals there. I think the only dicey part would be treasured perennials. Even then, a lot depends on how deep the soil layer is.

Been busy most of the day fixing a problem on the FC web site. Fix was easy once I found the problem. Biggest problem was that we somehow got folders duplicated and nested inside each other on the server. Once I got that sorted out, the rest was easy but it took me awhile to come to the conclusion that there was a problem. I was making changes to pages and they weren't showing up.

Have a good night.

Ann
violist
Calgary
Canada

April 23, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6450723

THIS...SNOW ...IS...GETTING...ME...

DOWN.

It is just wrong. It should at least be melting as it falls, shouldn't it? In the Yukon it was at least melting...

Theresa

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6451206

Theresa .. I feel your pain .. trust me .. this morning we have HEAVY frost .. back to wearing mittens or gloves when I go out to feed the deer ..

Am hoping the 'tender shoots' that are up will be OK .. most are very close to the house and hearty perennials ..

My house is AGAIN upside down :-( .. taking down things prior to the painters arriving .. finding places to stash loved figurines and crystal .. today I have a 'window covering' person coming in to give me suggestions with regards to window treatments .. I have had verticals up for a period of time .. I want something i can take down and wash .. so .. looks like shears .. but the choices now a days are incredible .. want to 'KEEP IT SIMPLE'

Ann .. enjoyed looking at the pics of your garden developing .. nice to look back on .. hard to take when in the actual process.

OOops ... deer #1 just went by the window ... out I go

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6452401

Deer, lucky you, well only lucky IF they are not feeding on your up and coming greenery...

We had a few flurries last night but melted as soon as they hit the ground..

Feel so bad for all of you..just when you thought it was over...

I walked the gardens this morning, amazing how quickly everything is growing..bet if I walk them again tonight I'll see they've almost grown an 1"..just a thought..lol

I've been in such a mess at the house, not upstairs but downstairs, everything everywhere..Saturday morning we finish the project..new floor/trim/painted...now we can make a mess in the craft room again..

Dropped in to see the contractor early this am..he's hoping that the dining room window can be put in this weekend...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 23, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6452938

WE do love to watch 'our' deer Betty .. but .. it comes with a price for sure.
Whole corn USED to cost $6.50/40lb bag .. the price has increased to $9.00 .. so .. we may stop feeding them earlier this year .. I talk the talk .. BUT .. will I walk the walk LoL
the perennials are close enough to the house that the deer keep their distance .. it's the outter gardens that will suffer from the 'deer munchies'.

The window covering lady, Sandy, arrived on scene this morning .. I was fully expecting her to be rather pushy, but ,, she was NOT that way at all. She drew pictures, showed me pictures and fabrics .. I finally settled on a fiberglass blind for the east window .. when down you can still see through it .. and it can be raised easily .. it will have a valance.
It was Ivory pinch pleated sheers for the living room .. with a matching valance .. 3 weeks to have them made and installed .. so .. as of Sunday evening .. we will be 'bare windowed' for a couple of weeks !!! Luckily no one can see in here anyway unless they want to walk onto the property, and, with a DOORBELL WESTIE on duty, that isn't about to happen !!!!

So Betty .. you and I are both living in pre happiness messes ^_^

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it is COLD out there .. dang WIND .. hung out clothes and will have to go out and unravel some T SHirts before the line will reel in ..

So .. there you have it from Thunder Bay :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 23, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6453010

What great choices "M"..now you know for the 3 or 4 dollars more you WILL continue to feed those deer..no fun having things all over the basement but yes, once done we'll be pleased as punch..

Hope the deer are full on corn and don't go for your pretty flowers..

Nothing like hanging your clothes outside, especially bedding..miss my clothes line..take it down each fall as I close in the back deck, usually on my 'to do' for the boys on Mother's day..get it back up..if I keep adding things to it like I have been they'll be calling it Mother's Week...lol

Went out for wings/veggies/dip at lunch, although the sun looked strong NOT, quite cool actually, hard to believe tomorrow we'll have a heat wave...looking forward to it...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6456449

Are you being KISSED by sunshine today?

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6456508

Still cool here but sunshine is getting some of that snow melting! I think it will be a few more days before I can get out and finish the yard clean up.

I am in print today - a letter to the newspaper re the new 'blue box' recycling program the city has finally started.

Not something I do very often but some other published letters a couple of days ago annoyed me enought to move me to write!

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6456555

Blue Skies and Sunshine here this morning. Cool though. ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6456728

short/short time here..lol...for some not me..

Fancy, you'll have to copy/paste so we can read it..
Same system got started in our area a few months ago..I've not used it..ask me why...rarely cook and what's left Sailor eats...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6456779

Short short here as well .. we are WASHING WALLS !!! Half done ... weather is iffy .. looks mostly like rain in the future.

I am awaiting my letter to the editor to be printed Carol :-) I am fed up with 'public spitting' .. I find it as exceptional as smoking if not more so ..

Later

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6456859

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/letters/back+best/1529188/story.html

Betty unfortunately they are not picking up compostable materials which really annoys me as I always have lots throughtout the gardening season.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6456924

Lovely day here in Ottawa. Don't know where the CBC is though. I heard them announce at about 10:30 "mostly cloudy and 9 degrees" in Ottawa. There's nary a cloud in the sky.

I've just returned from aquafit and then a stop by Scotia Bank which put my money for the tax-free savings into the wrong account. Am about to change my clothes and get out in the garden.

Hope you all have a wonderful day too.

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 24, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6457034

Thanks for the link Carol...enjoyed reading it...the little cart we were given is on wheels and easily pulled but as I say, no sense in using it for a spoonful of left overs...I just worry that they might encourage mice/rats or wildlife.. the little box goes in the house but again, it's wasted on me...perhaps I should donate it to the restaurant next door...

So glad you'll almost all have a garden day...just feel that sunshine..
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6457183

You GO GIRL Carol! (clap, clap, clap)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 24, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6457935

Sharing with you all .. and wishing you a VERY wonderful weekend !!!!

~M~

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1851408355801&source=jl999
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6459227

Loved it! ^_^ And a wonderful weekend to you too, Marilynne.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6459281

Betty our blue carts are very big!

And guess what - I just heard we are getting more snow Saturday night!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #6460532

Looks to be another 'dreary day' .. the rains predicted seem to have gone more northerly.

Have decided washing walls (lots of'em) is an activity that can give you the 'groans' when you get out of bed the morning following !!

Have a bud living in the Mount Pleasant area in Calgary who has mentioned those 'carts' .. not sure if it was in fact hers she was speaking of .. or the elderly couple she cleans for .. I do believe it was the latter and the fact that they found it quite a daunting thing (size wise).

The morning paper here is filled with the smiling faces of workers coming from our Bombardier plant. Thunder Bay has secured a HUGE contract for making new Transit vehicles .. kinda of nice to feel GOOD with all the doom and gloom in this area because of the demise of the forest industry.

Off to feed the deer

Enjoy

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6460888

Marilynne - I'm so sorry that it looks like a dreary day for you. I'll think of you as we bask in the sun and heat here in Ottawa. Have to play a performance of Fauré Requiem tonight and again tomorrow afternoon. Am looking forward to that, but not to the heat in the church tonight under hot lights. Lovely church, BTW. http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2747191140011711108mAdrXe I was able to find only an exterior shot of it but the inside has beautiful fan-vaulting.

Thanks also for the nice Happy Gardening card. :-)

I got a couple of loads of compost screened yesterday but have lots more to do today as long as I don't get myself too sore to play tonight.

Hope you all have a good Saturday.

Ann

PS as of yesterday about 40% of my hostas are poking up. A bit early, really. And one I can't account for. The marker is missing. I'm wondering if I moved it since it was a bit too crowded, but I haven't found the marker elsewhere. I guess I'll wait and see if it comes up.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 25, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6461065

No hostas here yet but I have 3 orders in and they should start arriving in a week or two.

Marilyn yes the carts are quite large and I am sure there will be some people who will have trouble with them - hope neighbors will step in and sort out!

Looking dreary out today - hope the weather folks are wrong about the
snow tonight
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 27, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6468149

Well it didn't snow last night but look what its doing now - 'flurries' they said on the news tonight - it has been snowing for 2 hours! But the real storm warnings are out for tomorrow and they are predicting 5-10 cms Monday night!
Looks like spring will never come this year!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 27, 2009
10:29 AM

Post #6469130

Oh my Carol !!! Quite the mess ... hopefully it won't stay around long.

We had a DELUGE of rain last night around midnight .. sounded like someone throwing BUCKETS down onto the house .. it has rained all night .. so .. I would imagine there will be some flood alerts in the area.
Our ditches are raging as it is.

Hope the performance went well for you Ann, and the heat wasn't as bad as expected. I see Ottawa had a high of 28C yesterday !!!

The painters arrive this morning .. I take it the first 2 days are the textured ceilings .. then the next 2 .. the walls .. it'll be nice to get the house back IN ORDER on Friday !!

Everyone have a great week ,,

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 27, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6469760

Hmmm Carol, must not be the cart on wheels that was given to us..a mini sized one inside to put into the house...drats, all these different systems they have...

Snow, omg and I thought I had it bad when they said it would be high 70's yesterday only to find a dreary cold day..

Walked the gardens this morning, must take a photo and ask you all to identify it..I'm almost positive it's a weed because there are so many clumps and some in the grass area..that's my first clue..let's hope not..

Got my 1st flower of the season..1 daffodil..guess it's a start..

Know "M" about messes..finally got most of the downstairs cleaned up now that new floor/baseboard/trim has been installed in the craft room..then with the men putting in the new dining room window, well cleaned there as well..still more work on the window but most of the clean-up is done..

Greg visited (or shall I say slept) for a few hours yesterday..said I'd better not be walking in the nude...too many windows..told him if I did they'd soon look away..got the proverbial "MOM!"

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 27, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6472145

WHOA .. thinking 'COWTOWNERS' .. and 'EDMONTONIANS' must be less than impressed with their weather !!

Day #1 of the painter deal is done .. all the ceilings (except for bedrooms and bathrooms) are now painted .. looks so awesome .. tomorrow he starts the entrance ways /hallways/living room and dining area !!! OH to be young and energetic :-)
We ended up leaving the painter on his own and removing Lilly from the area !!! Somehow .. paint trays and Westies are NOT a match made in heaven !!
Lilly got a mile long walk in .. and I am some tuckered !!! Not to mention the 'Pet Smart' shopping excursion !!
Tomorrow we head west to Kakabeka Falls .. if the weather was nice , instead of rainy, we could stay home and outside !!!

Hope anyone in the east (Tarana area) misses the thunderstorms ..

Betty .. ya gotta LUV the 'MOM' statement .. it's ALL in the EYES LoL

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 28, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6474924

So much has happened since I spoke yesterday morning...

A friend who paints at my house had a heart attack yesterday morning and died, another friend's husband is grieving for the loss of his father and did something that might have taken his life, another friend's husband has a 16cm growth on his arm, more likely than not they say it's cancer, her daughter goes tomorrow, they feel the lump in her throat is cancerous...my sister today tells me she's mega problems with a daughter..just so much it's overwhelming..

Rain and cold doesn't help
prayers for you all who are still having snow
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 28, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6475018

Oh Betty I am so sorry to hear you have all that bad news!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 28, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6475156

The old adage of 'it never rains but it pours' comes to mind..how are you making out..weatherman was calling for yet more snow, did you get any of it?

"M" Sounds as though your spring project will soon be over, then you can relax and focus on the gardens...still feeding those deer?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 28, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6475364

I thnk they changed the weather forecast - or the storm took pity on us and went another direction
digging_dirt
comebychance, NL
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6475389

WoW loved it Marilynnes,we had a great weekend here in Newfoundland but today is cold again and theres a chance for light snow tomorrow Yuk.

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6475641

Betty, so sorry to hear you are experiencing all these sad stories. Don't let it get you down. Often the worst case scenarios turn out better than first thought. Think positive.

Cool and cloudy here today in the Southern Interior.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6478153

Betty - you're going through a lot right now and obviously it's a very painful time.
I'll be thinking of you, and keeping you in my prayers.

Take care,
Susan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2009
10:18 AM

Post #6478557

Crumbs .. I missed a day and am so saddened by the news .. Betty .. nothing I can say is going to help you feel better .. only time is the tried and true healer . But such tragedies make me marvel at how we humans muster the strength to deal with them .. I am thinking of you and I wish you all the best.

The painting continues here .. I have cleared a wee space on the kitchem table to use the laptop .. can't very well sit in the bedroom and type away .. the kitchen table is awash with houseplants and othe flotsam and jetsom
Yesterday the primer went on .. then any flaws (picture hanger holes etc) were repaired .. those get sanded today and coat #1 goes on .. nervous .. but excited about it ..
Have certainly wished the 'travelling Gnomes' had been with me the last 2 days as we have been out and about in Thunder Bay fer sure ..
Hopefully just 2 more days of this !!

Am going to take my digital in to the Future Shop (why I am chosing there is anyones best guess) could be because the people who work there seem to KNOW about the equipment ? Have to find out why I take a pic and actually SEE it on the camera .. but .. when I download it to the computer it's nothing but a huge red X .. very frustrating ... but am happy I found out BEFORE I was using the camera at a function where the pics would have been critical.

Off to feed the deer

Take good care

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #6483083

Will this ever END !! ?? Hopefully TODAY is the last day of painitng .. I don't know if it's just ME (likely it is) .. but I am sort of .. well .. not disappointed, but I gues 'guarded' would be the best word to express my feelings on the colours. The living room is exactly as I had pictured it .. whereas the entrance ways and hallways are "nah' .. brighter for sure .. I think the last coat will add the BLING I am searching for ..
Of course, my HUGE angst over all the house being pretty much upside down isn't helping. The thoughts of re arranging and putting back is making my head swirl !!

Vets appt for both Smokey and Lilly today .. their yearly thing .. Smokey gets NO shots as he is 12 now and the shots just whacked him when he was 10 .. he has the seniors blood screening done only. Lilly on the other hand .. well .. she gets the full meal deal .. at least she'll be clean .. the groomer did an awesome job on her ..
Had to laugh .. Becky, the groomer, is a small young lady. When I went to pic up Lilly .. she had THE most HUGE Great Pyrenees on the grooming bench .. in fact .. had Becky squatted beside 'Chaos' .. Chaos would have been bigger .. but .. such a placid animal .. gorgeous .

I hope everyone is enjoying getting out and doing some garfening .. I have only had a few moments to clear away some winter kill off from a few plants .. besides .. our weather has been less than stunning here.

Take care all

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6483734

Gradually warming up here - worked in the garden yesterday afternoon, still have not finished the front beds clean up. I remember atime when I would spend 8 hours out in the garden now I do an hour or two and take a long break!
Fancy had a mild sprain on a front leg last weekend so she is on reduced activity and anti-inflamatories. Foster dog Trouper is doing well and has been moved from sleeping in the 'rescue room' to my bedroom figure he will be here a while might as well join us! Bailey finished his tweeking obedience class last night ( it was a beginners class and he knows it all but we needed to get back into the routine of classroom work) Fancy still has 2 classes to go.
Previous foster Shilo is coming this evening to visit until Sunday afternoon .
Next week is the week I usually do my rounds at all the local greenhouses spending my non existant plant budget! I have ordered so much mail order this year I will try to restrain myself! And if it snows again I might put it off for another week.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 30, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6484300

Went to the funeral home yesterday afternoon, passed Norm's Garden, omg there wasn't room for one more car..talk about busy..I avoided it like the plague...with my trip with the boys to Washington and then putting in new floor/trim, then new window in the dining room and now having to pick up 7 new doors, think my budget is more than non existent..

"M" am sure that once you have everything in it's place, a few items to enhance to colors you'll love it..if not, just means another can of paint right? lol

Rather bleak and cold here..not calling for nice weather this weekend at all..wanted to paint all the doors but might have to wait till the following weekend...

"M" show us some photo's please...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6484834

Carol: "I have ordered so much mail order this year I will try to restrain myself!" I'll buy tickets to that ^_^

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6485199

Y A H O O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the work is DONE!!!!!!!!!!! And .. I am happy ..
Betty .. pics will come once I have better handle on what the heck is wrong with my digital camera .. went to take it in the other day .. but in the kaffufle of remembering Lilly, my cell, my wallet, my daytimer and my car keys and me .. the camera got left behind .. I'd use my cell .. but the pics it takes always look so dark ..
It was such a chore getting the furniture back .. vacuuming etc .. and .. I have bare windows for another 2 weeks as well ..
Seems you and I and Carol might end up standing on a corner with a tin cup and a monkey soon LoL

Rainy day here ... made a meat loaf as it is a PERFECT meat loaf day :-)

Gonna just sit and take in this new colour .. it is MOCHA .. likin it ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6485974

Well, I'm off to the "wilds of Winnipeg" tomorrow, so likely not going to get online until the 11th lol

It's my mom's 90th b-day!!
See y'all!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6486972

Happy B-Day to your mom.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2009
10:06 AM

Post #6487614

OOOOooooooo .. happy BDay to your Mom as well Susan .. and .. I LOVE Winterpeg ^_^
A 7 hour drive from Thunder Bay, and, SO worth it .. if only for a Seargenats Sundae (or Yogurt cone) and a visit to the Assiniboine Zoo and the Mol statues ..
Enjoy your time away.

Heading out to see my Hospice client this morning, she wants to see Lilly, so .. I will be bringing her up to the hospital some day soon.
Havin a 'gurly lunch' at noon ..

On the search for new lighting for the living room, am sure my lunch buds will have lots of suggestions .. TOO many LoL

TGIF ... everyone take care

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6487741

Been a busy week and I've not stopped by long enough to write though I've lurked.

Happy May 1.

Ann
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6487943

everything is growing really fast now, and the garden is filling in all the new perennials I planted last year are looking great only lost a couple out of about 300 planted so I am very happy about that now I am getting more picky about what I am buying since by next year I will have to start some new beds the ones we made last year are almost full

with a large property the hard part will be where do I put the next one
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6488314

Got my Sweet Peas in yesterday!
Nice in the morning so we worked outside quite a bit but it clouded over and got chilly and there were occasional brief snow flurries but nothing that hit the ground
Suppose to be better today.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6488513

havent seen any of the white stuff in two months now and that works for me the last time was march 2 or 3 and it melted on contact with the ground last accumulation was mid february and I hope not to see any till xmas this year
digging_dirt
comebychance, NL
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6489275

we had two great days in a row mmmmmmmmmm maybe i should get the boat ready
lol
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6489468

We are enjoying wonderful weather on the Pacific side of Canada as well. Mid 20's. Love it...so do the plants. ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 1, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6489582

OMG - 300 perrenial plants...bet your gardens are spectacular..I've walked my gardens and I believe I've lost about 8 shrubs..will leave for awhile, one never knows they might be slow moving after the winter we've had..

Torrential rains last night, sun is out at present but they are calling for more rain..have to tell you it always feels as though you could stand outside and measure growth..each day there is such a change in the gardens..lilac leaves are almost fully open as are the oak tree leaves..

"M" glad you have everything under control, just bet it's lovely..new lighting..going all o ut aren't you..you didn't win that 32 million did you and forget to tell us...oh no, it's an individual in quebec..oh well next time..and yes, all but on a street corner trying to make extra $$$...picking up 7 doors today on my way home...that ought to do me in..made a 'to do' for 2009..well I've almost accomplished it all and it's only May...

Looking at flyers oh what sales on shrubs and plants..still a bit early though..

Don you must have brought the warm weather with you when you came north..

Diggin, Foxy Lady is tarped up in my yard, asked my boys when they thought she might get in the water..then I quickly said, wait awhile one never knows when the white fluffy might return..

Ann, imagine you are busy as usual..no down time for you, no season lighter than the other? what kind of weather are you enjoying...

Mona, going to have to go check where Metcalfe is..could be close by?

Susan, wishing your mom a 'happy birthday'...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 1, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6489589

Just checked, nope, you are near Ottawa..about a 6 hr. drive for me...guess I can't go dig up some of those plants...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6489700

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... what a crummy day here by Lake Superior .. was out investigating my Hens and chics .. when all of a sudden .. S N O W !! A 5 minute squall .. since then the wind from the north west has been a force to contend with ..
Am ALMOST tempted to fire up the woodstove .. but am going to rely on 'the little blue flame' instead ..

Betty .. only you could almost complete a 12 month 'to do list' in 5 months ^_^
My 'to do list' is sporadic in nature ...
After lunch today my mind was a whirrrrr of thoughts .. one friend suggested 'pot lighting' .. another suggested 'a bar of lights' .. another a set of ceramic lamps she had seen in a local furniture store .. am doing some serious thinking on all suggestions .. but .. given my track record with electricians .. well .. the Ceramic lamps may have to fill the bill ..

I see a couple of the smaller Does parading around out back .. guess I;ll go put out a bucket of corn ..
Have to put my winter jacket on to do it !!

Enjoy your evening

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6489766

Well, what scicciarella tells you likely applies for me too. She's about half an hour from me.

Just got back from a Raging Grannies meeting. We've got some raging dates coming up - in particular a large ARMS sale at a city-owned facility at the end of the month, but a few others before that too - next Monday at the Prime Minister's office re Abousfian Abdelrazik.

Last week was busy with Ottawa Food Bank lunch on Tuesday when I was given an award and the Gloucester Emergency Food Cupboard AGM on Wednesday where, along with another volunteer, I was recognized for 20 years of service.

gonna head out to Can tire garden centre. Need some dirt.

Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6489822

Thought that now I've confessed about the awards that I would show you a pic of the presentation at the FC. They asked us both to get our pic taken and they designed the mat for them. A volunteer who does calligraphy did the rest. They gave us each a pot of mini-roses and the pictures will stay on display at the Food Cupboard.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6490201

Wow, what a lovely honour! Great photo. Congrats to you. ^_^
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6490222

Very nice Ann!

I too need to head out to Cdn Tire for dirt for my pots but it was so nice out today I just messed around in the back y ard all day. Got a bunch of pots out of the shed set up two fountains and picked around at some of the emerging plants.

I think the dogs enjoyed being out there too., Every once in a while visitor Shiloh wanted a chase and Bailey and Fancy obliged. I cant let them do that on the weekends - too much barking - unless my neighbors are not home! Trouper just headed in the other direction when the chase started!

The Lougheed House Conservator dropped by this afternoon to check out a couple of small pieces I wanted to donate and will take them both - a nice music cabinet and a wicker sewing basket. Both are family pieces but neither of my nieces are interested in the old furniture so I figure I might as well give it to somebody who is!( Besides they get it evaluated and I get a tax receipt!) Here's the music cabinet. I even have some old sheet music to store in it!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 3, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6496431

Wonderful pics Ann and Carol ^-^

I am totally SHOCKED .. we are going to have a 14 maybe 15C day today !!!!!!! Yesterday was a complete wash out .. I was walking Lilly wearing a winter jacket and GLOVES !!
Had a few snow squalls .. YUK
So .. to make myself feel better .. I went to a nursery and bought myself a most gorgeous Yellow Hibiscus FULL of blooms .. I know It will last a short time .. but .. it looks wonderful :-)

Off to hang sheets on the line.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 3, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6498028

Hello Hello, from "The Peg" - the weather is lovely - don't know what the temp is, but I'm enjoying it and will likely go outside to sit in the sunshine.
My DH is watching TV in the basement, and my DD and DSIL are out grocery shopping. I'd never seen their new house before, but it's perfect for them :-)
It's a quiet neighbourhood, and a very pretty house. They have plans for it, of course, to "make it their own" and although it'll take a few years (only?!?!) I'm so happy for them. They haven't been married 2 years yet, and this is their first home ownership. I envy them the joy in that. Remember the first home you bought? That's such a wonderful time :-)

Susan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 4, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #6500983

Glad all is well in the 'Peg' Susan ..as I mentioned, I love visiting Winnipeg .. only a 6.5 to 7 hour road trip for me though.

We has sun yesterday .. but we also had WIND !! I had put sheets on the line, and I regetted it .. by the time I went to get them off .. well .. my line was twisted and the sheets were wrapped around the line several times !!

Off for the day to a workshop on 'Elder Abuse' .. seems to be becoming quite the hot topic.

Hope everyone has a splendiferous week

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6501377

Good morning,

Busy day yesterday - viola section rehearsal, handbells involved in a massed concert (they played VERY well) and then I went late to an orchestra rehearsal.

Rehearsal tonight with the other orchestra and a number of errands to run. Just put up a thread on what's happening in my tulip beds. #$%$## squirrels! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/983936/#new

Have a great day.

Ann
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6501520

good morning all well back outside soon to clean out two more beds this year it seems that it is taking forever to clean out those beds maybe because of all the wind we had in the past two weeks blowing the leaves out of the forest back into the beds that I had allready done that now need to be cleaned out again lol never ending

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6501911

Drats, drats and more drats, and it's all your fault Carol..lol...just had to go look at your photo and into cyberspace went my novel..

here we go again...

To our northern friends I listened to the weatherman this morning and think you are in for a fantastic day...

Think I should ask Paul to work Saturdays and take Mondays off..seems to be when the nice weather arrives...we also had extreme winds..from cleaning all weekend I had at least 5' of garbage to burn in the firepit..finally yesterday afternoon the wind died down just enough to get it done..thank goodness, because it was one of those piles that I had a few pieces of furniture that I just know I'd have taken back in the house..nope, all gone..

Saturday morning I was up witht he birds, of course, if some know me, my 'to do' list for the boys who will come this weekend for Mother's day just COULD NOT wait..

I started with going to the church 'garage sale' here I'm purging and you got it, just had to pick up some treasures..a man was taking a metal bench off his truck, heard the girl working as him how much, he said, ahhh $2.00 well, didn't take me long to say 'sold'...of course with the arbors all being black metal and having a can of metal black spray and wind dying down, I had to change it from white to black, now I'm on the lookout for waterproof material..will look nice near the arbor with a few plants sitting on it...then, a nice white chair that wood look lovely on back deck once I cut the seat to make a flower pot holder.. an antique weigh scale that will look nice once cleaned on my little cafe shelf, debated about a marble lamp base, should I, shouldn't I but thought if I rewire, pick colors from the base I could do a stained glass lampshade for a friend...all my treasures I think were about $17. and that included a doz. oatmeal/raisin cookies, how could you go wrong..lol

Ah back to the boys to-do list, I always have them cover the back deck with plastic, held on by wood so that it's a big area that I don't have to shovel and also can leave everything set up as a cafe..sunny out and I wanted to feel that spring had sprung, so up on the roof with crowbar in one hand and hammer in the other, working my bu.t off, me who is terrified of heights (?) ..shortly after noon my project was completed, nope, now everything had to be washed and cleaned, even a few indoor plants could be set out for the day...no sooner did everything look pretty that it decided to rain..all dusty and chilled (wasn't that warm out) I thought bath time .. warm up, get dressed and back outside to work on the gardens...so now in my nightie and coffee in hand I decided that I just might watch a movie..had a couple friends drop in, of course they know it's rare I'll be up to 'nothing' so they took me as I was..by the time all left I stayed 'lazy'..not a term I'd call myself but Saturday I was..

Sunday I couldn't decided what I'd do so put all my tasks into a jar and picked one, as I completed that task, moved on to another...got all done except for 1..amazing how much you can do when focused..

By late afternoon I thought I'd done enough, did a walk through the gardens...mistake #1 for sure..lol..

In the grass I could see plant growth, nothing similar to grass to worked that little spade shovel to where it broke and replanted into back garden because who knows what they will be..

then came the side garden where the big picture frame is located..omg, it was taken over by an invasive plant..smells mint like on your hand, little purple/blue flowers..as soon as one of the feelers touch ground another plants grows..could really have smothered my garden plants..so 3 hrs. later, every muscle hurting inside I came...satisfied with my weekend...you know you've been productive when you can't move right...

On my way to work this a.m. I was looking at a farmers field and in his garden are rows of rhubbarb, can't believe how large the leaves are already, now I'll just have to check and see if I need more rhubbarb cement stones..am sure I do..

Ann, I so enjoyed the photo..congratulations, am sure that in this economy many are overwhelmed but are appreciative of what you do..sure wish my cupboards were as neat..

"M" I do not have ceiling lighting in my living room..drawback yes but it's nice just to be able to place lamps in areas that are most effective..with me it's stained glass lamps only because I make them...

Chatted enough, will get back to say 'hi' to those who posted on the weekend, if I don't press 'send' now, we know what will happen don't we...
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6501931

oh oh got to avoid those I cant help but buy so I stay home lol hahahahah

next weekend is a bad one the rare perennial same is on lol spent to much last year will again this year

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2009

Post #6502127

Each and every year I'm waiting on their doorstep at least an hour before they open so I don't miss out .. the lady who organizes it asked me where i thought I could put any more plants/shrubs..well hey, I'll jut dig up another garden..lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6502132

Am off shortly with a delegation of grannies (but not in granny gear) to the PM's office to object to gov't policy on Abdul Razek.

there was another short article iwth picture about the FC in Saturday's paper - http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/up-beat/index.html

Gotta grab some lunch before heading out. BBL

Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6502308

Enjoyed the article Ann...maybe your delegation would be more effective if you were in 'grannie gowns'..lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 4, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6502626

Betty? what picture?
I was pretty lazy on the weekend I often take weekends 'off' if I have worked in the garden a lot. Had an extra dog until Sunday afternoon and had to walk him seperately from my guys since I cant take him off leash And foster Trouper gets a quick walk around the block which is about all he can handle. Rest of the time on the computor or in the books. Today I start serious garden shopping - going to Cdn Tire first to get potting soil for the containers and will get those mixed and rin place and ready to plant.
Tomorrow I might go to the first greenhouse (Sunnyside always first on my list) and need to get veggie seeds and get some in the ground.
So many plants have not shown up yet - hope they are just being slow and not dead! A couple of new peonies have finally broken ground, some still have not shown up!
Sun is shining - better get out there!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6503328

Your music cabinet girl...lol

Sounds as though you are on a mission..at lunch I notice that Superstore has their gardening tent outside..I've an hour to waste before I go to class so think I just might drop in..

I saw that a few of my lilac trees are getting quite woody and some of the newbies are but babes so might just go in search of a few larger ones..

So glad you finally have sunshine..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6503593

Think I found out what my aggressive plant was...if anyone knows if it smells minty then it's it..

Blooms: Late Spring to Early Summer

Flower Color: Blue

Sun-Shade: Full Sun to Full Shade

Accent Color: Purple

Soil Condition: Normal, Acidic, Clay

Plant Height: Short

Zones: z3,z4,z5,z6,z7,z8,z9
Found in list(s): Plants that tolerate a Clay soil
Plants that attract Butterflies
Deer Resistant
Foot Traffic Tolerant
Plants that tolerate Dry Shade
Plants that Tolerate an Acidic Soil
Plants that attract Hummingbirds
Groundcovers

AJUGA Black Scallop : CARPET BUGLE
AJUGA reptans Black Scallop - Short 4-6" Plant 12-18" apart. Zone 3-9 Lush darkest burgundy/black foliage blankets the ground. Leaves are slightly more upright and wavy. Blue flower spikes appearing in late spring. Evergreen in milder climates, this extremely hardy groundcover can be walked on, mowed over, raked clean and generally abused. PP# 15,815

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6507203

Betty are you saying your Ajuga is aggressive? Wish mine was!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 5, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6507330

You know, I was at Walmart last night and they had some Ajuga and it's not what is growing invasive in my garden..Carol (Starzz) thought it might be Creeping Charlie...got to get a hold on it, can't believe how quickly it's spreading..
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6507843

Fancyvan,

If you want some Ajuga that is a bit invasive...got lots. It spreads like crazy. It is a darker leaf one. I usually pull out a bunch in the spring.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6508295

I ditto that. I got mine from Jo South and I have to beat it back in the spring too!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6508516

Betty Creeping Charlie would make more sense to me - got a pic?

Jo and Jo I would love some ajuga. Do you want me to come dig? Jo(South) would you like to stop by and prune the roses?

Just got back from my first plant buying excursion - I always go to Sunnyside lst. Bought a few perennials but with restraint since there is so much in the yard not up yet. Abd I dont know if they are dead or slow! And there were a few things I really did want but after checking the price tag I again practised some restraint! Bought Supertunias and Calabrochoa for the pots in the back - They are both purple/yellow white combos but one combo for the patio pots and reversed colors for the back steps. And a couple of Martha Washingtons which I do love. Also got beggie seed and waiting for a potato order which I hope gets here this week.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6508585

Hiya .. I have been 'creeping' the site but not writing as I was kinda busy with my Hospice client.

I have CREEPING CHARLIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGgggggggggggg .. and .. unless I want to backhoe 4 acres of property .. there is not much chance it is going to go BYE BYE .. so .. I have decided .. that along with it and Dandelions .. I just love'em (TONGUE IN CHEEK)

Am hoping to get to a greenhouse this weekend .. like Carol .. I NEED to practise restraint as well as patience as things start to appear in the gardens.

+ 15C here .. but cloudy and dreary ..

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6508911

Marilyn - when I first moved into this house I really did not know much about gardening except the raw basics and certainly could not ID weeds except for quack grass. Growing in one corner of the yard was a little patch of the prettiest little plant and I carefully cultivated it, did not cut it when I cut the grass etc. etc. - until I discovered it was Creeping Charlie!

Than it came out pretty quick! I still find the occasional bit but I think it came in with the 'new' topsoil many years ago. My mother used to say isnt it too bad cows dont eat flowers!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6510003

A sample of what I bought today:

These are for the pots on the back steps and the pots that surround a bird bath on the patio. One is Supertunia Royal Velvet with Calibrachoa Yellow Chiffon, the other will be Supertunia Citrus and Calibrachoa Plum. I probably wont pot these up for a couple of weeks but they are nice little plants so should be OK I like to buy this stuff early before it gets picked over and goes leggy! Usually I just have these pots all one color of petunia.

This message was edited May 5, 2009 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6510010

I couldnt resist these two Iris - thought they would look great together!
I just noticed the apricot color one is labeled Appleblossom Pink! Mislabel maybe?
No name on the purple one.

This message was edited May 5, 2009 6:06 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6510019

And two lilies that I also thought would look good together

Thumbnail by fancyvan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6510075

Interesting that you can get Calibrachoa so early in Calgary. I won't see them in Ottawa for another couple weeks.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6510691

Where were you shopping Miss Carol? I like your petunia selection. Should look very nice around your bird bath. I started some Purple Velvet seeds, so I wonder if they are the same.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6510964

I got those at Sunnyside.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2009
5:34 AM

Post #6511139

Can't go wrong with Proven Winners. Nice pick, Carol.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
10:13 AM

Post #6511344

Beauteous plants Carol .. and the purple and yellow together will look so nice ..
As I said .. I am going to try and make my trip to the greenhouse this weekend .. am happy looking at the Hibiscus I purchased .. nothing like one of those to make you marvel and smile.

More volunteer appreciation stuff happening over the next few days .. and THEN .. I get to go HIGH up in the air on a 'scissor lift' to raise money for the United Way and Hospice NorthWest .. ought to be trippy ^_^
Always wonder WHY I do stuff like that .. moslty it IS fun .. kinda !!

Raining at present and foggy .. kind of a mixed bag of weather expected here today .. but .. NO SNOW !!!

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 6, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6511563

Good morning, all! still enjoying the winnipeg weather - dew on the grass this am, so going to get cooler this week. Just remembered a bush that I'd like to get, but can't remember the name of the Native Nursery I got it from and fighting with my memory to remember the bush!! It has long spikes - so dark purple they're almost black, there's a "false" one, and the one I had. Native to Manitoba, and it's a bee lover's bush. I got it as a tiny bush about 1 ft tall, and that's all I can think about it.
Anyone who can help, while I'm still here, the help would be appreciated.

-Susan-

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 6, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6511642

oh- just figured it out - Indigo Bush (there are false, and the "original" one that I had while here).
I'm going to try the Living Prairie Museum to see if they know somewhere in Winnipeg I can get one.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 6, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6511855

You can tell spring has sprung, we're all busy bees, planning/buying..anxious to see growth...

love the plants..great choices...

I also went shopping at the Garden Gallery yesterday, omg lunch hour just is nowhere near long enough..I'll have to go after work or on the weekend..hey, that's an idea, youngest son said he was coming to spend the weekend with me to do my chores, just maybe we can head out to the gallery, probably not..he is so much like his dad, can't figure out why one would spend so much time in the garden..lol..easier to mow the area..

I purchased a pkg of seed AND a beautiful silver lace vine, $19.99 bit expensive but it sure is beautiful when in bloom..

Speaking of mowing..did my first cut last night, think when a friend of mine Mike did the servicing that he might have lifted the mower blades, guess it makes for much nicer grass when cutting high..

It is a summer day here in Barrie today and where are we, yes, in the office dreaming of being outside..I teach a class tonight so no playing outside, tomorrow night I go to a portrait class so again no outside..most likely rain for the weekend..best I stop my complaining..

"M" how is your hospice patient?

So what you are telling me "M" is I have to get used to seeing creeping charlie around my yard and like it..hey, was asking for a man, just didn't explain myself properly and here is Charlie...lol
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6512825

is creeping charlie very low in the grass but has pink flowers? if so, i think he's taken up residence here as well.
Overcast, damp and 12-13C today.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 6, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6513078

Mine has little blue flowers, almost purple and is low to the ground, where the feelers attach themselves to the ground another mound of pretty leaves occur...will take photo tonight...

OMG what a beautiful day out there, almost didn't want to come back...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6513212

Hiya .. yeah Betty .. no one wants a friend like CHARLIE !!!!
Mine sometimes has flowers that can be considered 'pinkish' as opposed to purple .. but .. for the most part .. the flowers are purple .. have had people OOOOOoooooooo and AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh at my PRETTY little purple flowers .. they even want clumps to take and plant .. once I show them how it takes over the property .. they take a step back !!!

Am in a 'semi pickle' here .. I have been itching something awful for a few weeks .. mostly arms, back and legs .. as I am not someone prone to allergies I have tried to ignore it .. but .. today I LOST it .. so .. I bought some benadryl caplets .. thankfully I took ONE not TWO .. I am so drowsy !!!!! AND .. I am going out to a Volunteer appreciation dinner tonight !!!!
I think I had best have a lay down .. NEVER AGAIN !!! Mind you .. the itching is a BIT better

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2009
10:46 AM

Post #6516006

Another rainy morning .. the grass is greening up before my eyes ...

The volunteer appreciation dinner was totally wonderful .. a full 4 course SIT DOWN dinner !! There were 325 folks there, and St. Joes has approx 430 volunteers.
Lots of amazingly dedicated folks got pins for service up to .. FIFTY years !!!!!

Betty .. 'Gertie' is doing as well as can be expected. Her hip has healed incredibly well .. but she has been having some tummy upsets as of late. Her daughter is here visiting from BC, so, she's pretty happy ..

I heard the 'B' word spoken at the dinner last night .. apparently the BEARS have awakened and have been spotted around the district .. my morning trips out to feed the deer and grab the paper will be done with caution from now on !!
I fret as the Does will be having their fawns soon .. and .. the bears are unkind to them.

More 'stuff' on my 'to do' list for today .. thought I MIGHT be staying HOME .. but .. that isn't in the cards ..

Have a great day

~M~
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #6516120

well ottawa weather is about 14C and rain which is nice since I have been planting stuff for two days and everything really needs a good drink and thanks to mother nature I dont have to drag the hose around to water, I still have lots to plant but not yet I have only put in plants that will not mind a little frost since we usually get some between mothersday and the longweekend maybe not this year but I have worked to hard growing the stuff to loose it now so patience is a virtue

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6516462

Scicciarella, they are calling for frost over the weekend..calling for 3 but said it could dip much lower, have some shrubs, vines I purchased and will be waiting as well, have them sitting on the back deck, guess I'll cover them at night..I understand your display of tulips is spectacular in Ottaway this week..would have been a nice time to visit...

Raining here at present, but on my way in it went from rain to sunshine, they say it will be much the same today, tomorrow and Saturday..guess the to do list I have planned for the boys this weekend won't get done..one can't lay cement pads/put up roof of gazebo up in rain now can they...not sure what they could get done inside but I'm sure mom will find something..

"M" have you figured out what caused the itch..did you change anything, soap, body lotion etc...maybe it's a light allergy to the sun..I get it about this time every year..comes out each time I go outside, the minute I come inside it goes back dormant under the skin...only lasts a few weeks at different parts of spring/summer/fall..the rest of the time I can live outside and nothing..specialist said it was when the sun is closest to the earth in the orbit and that one of the rays is what I'm allergic to..drats, I don't know, happens every year, same time so must be something to it..

What do you all have planned for the weekend...please share...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6517034

Very nasty here in Beautiful British Columbia. Cold and wet! High today is only 12 C. Poor hummingbirds are actually hovering around the feeders. Probably figure that they may as well stay dry until they have to eat again. :(

A couple of pics to remind me that it actually is still Spring...

Rhododendrum (at least 3 weeks later than normal)

Thumbnail by DonM47

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6517040

My favourite tulips...Red Riding Hood

Thumbnail by DonM47

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6517095

Betty - yes, the tulips are likely at their peak right now. I still have a few that the squirrels haven't bitten off.

I doubt very much that the weekend will be awful because I have three Ottawa Symphony rehearsals on Saturday and Sunday and OSO pre-concert rehearsal weekend is usually lovely weather - too nice to be stuck in a rehearsal hall. It IS, however, raining today, but I feel we can use the rain.

Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6517333

Its raining! Yay! Sure need the moisture - nice moderate rain, hope it keeops up for a few hours!
Dogs dont like geting wet so I dont have to walk them either - I just put them out cause I have to go out and Bailey wouldnt even go off the back step!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6518245

Loved the photo's...will be praying that it's sunshine all weekend for all us mom's...

hope none of you out west are getting the white stuff that I heard the weatherman talk about...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6518741

Some of the mountain passes are getting some, I am sure.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6521067

Hello from cool Winnipeg! It's been sunny & 24c here, but has taken a dip to high of 3, and rainy.
Went to Prairie Originals - a native plant/shrub greenhouse - and got an Indigo Bush to plant! I used to have one when I lived here, and couldn't find one in Calgary, so now I'll have it :-)
We're leaving Winnipeg tomorrow morning :-( and will miss my sweet and DD, and my SIL. They're a wonderful couple! Visiting family & friends was great, but of course all good things come to an end...

Back to the grind on Monday - but my boss is taking my DH & I out for dinner @ The Key :-)

Take care, all :-)
Susan
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6521124

these opened today I really like them so I decided to share with you all

Thumbnail by scicciarella

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6521193

Travel safe on the way back west Susan .. and good luck with your Indigo Bush .. would love to see a pic after you plant it.

Always difficult to say goodbye to loved ones .

I am on with VCARS today and am venturing into the city to have coffee with friends .. I usually 'STAY PUT' .. seems if I go into the city, I come home and THEN I get called back to do call ... sooooooooooo fingers crossed that that won't happen !!

Still dealing with the itchies .. but started taking 'chlorophyll' liquid yesterday to cleanse my blood .. guess I'll gag that down for a week and see if it helps .. a bud who is totally INTO herbal alternatives thinks it might help.
I have wracked my brain trying to discern the cause of this .. am wondering if the regular prescribed meds I take have been altered in some way, say by a preservative, that's my next avenue .. hopefully if meds are altered pharmacies and their pharmacists are informed .. just MAYBE it'll stop on its own !!!

Cooler day here .. but nice and sunny.
Don .. your pics are wonderful !! The Hummingbirds will be showing up here ANY day now .. according to my calender they have arrived between May 8 to May 12 since 2003 .. usually I am ill prepared .. but .. this year a feeder or two will be in place ..

My Hibiscus is happily blooming away .. am glad I bought it ^_^

TGIF .. my weekend will be one of yardwork/dump runs and supporting local charities in their United Way events .. in fact .. next Wednesday I am supposed to be going up in a 'scissor lift' to help raise funds for Hospice .. I chose that over having my head shaved !!!!! I think they only put us up about 4 stories high and only for half an hour .. then we call friends and family on our cell phones and ask for pledges .. hope it isn't raining !!

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6521366

You do get involved in some wild things "M"...must tell you, one day I was going on and on and DH asked me to get into his backhoe bucket to check something...lifted it up, drove to the side of the road and left me there for all to see for about 1hr...didn't get mad, just laughed about the situation..long weekend and all, everyone was passing by..I'd just wave, others would stop to inquire what i was up to..lol

Aren't those tulips gorgeous in color..

Yesterday while shopping I managed to purchase another 'bugbane'
anxious to plant it along with the silver lace vine but with frost looming best I not be so anxious..

What do you all have planned for this weekend, know you'll be busy "M"..calling for rain so that really put (pardon the pun) a damper on my 'to do' list...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6521449

my indigo bush is just a few sticks right now lol
View 2 on this page is the most accurate.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/images/indigobush2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/indigobush.html&h=422&w=500&sz=118&tbnid=C9LOtVH4akb_2M::&tbnh=110&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DIndigo%2Bbush,%2Bpictures&hl=en&usg=__KqGVSCZW-yw1LtcvrVYFgFRKKIA=&ei=9D8ESquqHc-wmAeknNjcBA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image
I hope this link works... if not, maybe the picture will lol

It has leaves like a carrigana bush, and little pods like it too.
It should bloom either next year, or following one.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6521452

I'm on my daughter's MAC, and not familiar with sending stuff from it. Here's the picture of what it will look like lol

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6521823

looks like some kind of veronica or salvia
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6522558

Weather has improved here and we are promised a pretty good weekend reprieve from the rain. But another front moves in early next week. Lovely to see the sun again though. ^_^
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6522740

black sky and thunder storms looks nasty outside rightnow

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6522777

scicciarella, it definitely is not a salvia, or any kind of plant - it's a woody bush. I have salvia - it's more like a carrigana bush, for the leaves and seed pods.
It grows about 3-5 meters tall, too.
Very rare, so all the descriptions I've read say. I'll have to cover it, once the snow hits in the winter, to protect it from chinooks (for the first year anyway) so it gets naturalized in.

It's cool here, but I'm glad to hear that Calgary got some rain - good for the start of the growing season :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6522787

Jeez Susan .. almost looks like my flowering Thyme .. but much prettier .. good luck with it ..

Am LMBO at you 'Betty in the Bucket' .. I likely would do the same thing you did ..

Would you believe it .. the furnace is on, and , it's a misty rain at the moment .. HOWEVER .. I did NOT get a VCARS call .. for that I am truly thankful.

Take care all

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6522872

Rain all yesterday morning and just started raining again this afternoon - plants are really soaking it up!

And yes I have the heat on here too!

Fancy, Trouper and I just got home from having hearing tests done. Turns out Fancy is profoundly deaf and Trouper is of course deaf too ( which I knew) but not as deaf as Fancy! That really surprised me.

So I am living with 3 mostly deaf seniors!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6522911

3 deaf seniors, Carol? Who else is a mostly deaf senior - you or one of your dogs? LOL
Actually surprised at Fancy, too. Had a friend with a dog going deaf and she was learning to talk with sign language for them. Apparently there is a specific sign language for deaf animals. I think it was a book, rather than a course she could take. I suppose you could "goggle" it and find out.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6523201

Susan I have a 14 year old foster dog here also. Thats Trouper.
Yes you can teach a dog sign language - actually mine know a lot of hand signs but you have to get their attention first! Ive been using a whistle with Bailey for about a year and Fancy can still hear it too so I will just had to keep it round my neck I guess!
Fortunately my hearing is near perfect!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6525414

A weather update from Thunder Bay.
As I sit her sipping my coffee .. my 'TO DO LIST' close at hand .. I cast my eyes to my curtainless front window .. and watch the SNOWFLAKES softly falling, as they have been doing for the last hour !!
Now if THAT doesn't place a DAMPER on the start of a SAturday, I don't know what could !!

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6527481

SIGH! The day never did get much better .. the snow stopped .. but the dampness and cool temps persisted ..

Carol .. my Norwegian Elkhound became deaf 2 years proir to his death .. it's amazing what they do learn from hand signals .. in fact .. we are teaching Lilly hand signals along with the verbal cues she gets .. just in case !!

Hoping for better weather on Sunday ^_^

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6527569

M. I have always used hand signals with my dogs for obedience etc so they do know all the basics - I can go thru most of an obedience course without speaking to them! Which of course is very helpful now!
Sorry to hear about your snow. We have had a couple of really good rains this past week and showers off and on the past couple of days. Good for the plants - it was very dry and things are looking uch better and some of the plants that had not yet popped up are starting to show. I really would like to know what has died or what is just slow. A few warm days and I will find out. Still have at least 3 peonies that have not popped up!
Worked a couple of unexpected hours at the House this afternoon and regular shift tomorrow - Mothers day and I hear they have about 100 people booked for brunch so they will be setting tables in the drawing rooms and we wont be able to do full house tours. Last Mothers day the place was dead!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 10, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6528957

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1864964415801&source=jl999

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!!!!

Sharing a card with you ALL ..

~M~
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6529408

To all the Moms out there...

Thumbnail by DonM47

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6529674

Marilyn & Don - Thank you so much - as I'm not able to see my daughter today (left Wpg where she is, on Sat am, but they took us out for dinner on Friday night), I'm blessed to have friends such as you, out in cyber-world, to be with on this wonderful day :-)

I echo the Mother's Day greetings to all of you Moms, Grandmothers, Daughters, and care-givers of all people, fur, fin & feathers!! (what a wonderful way to say it, Marilyn!)

-Susan-
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 11, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6533556

Worked at Lougheed House yesterday - they were expecting about 100 people for brunch thru the morning so set up table in the 2 main reception rooms so we could not tour thru those rooms. However there were a lot of no shows which was disappointing for them. They had set up a buffet and when they were almost finished those of us working were invited to help ourselves! Standard breakfast far but very good - especially since I had not had lunch!
Had 3 tours thru the afternoon and the first group - family of 7 and another couple gave me a $20 tip! That is the 3rd time I have been tipped in two years and it is always a bit of a shock since we certainly dont expect it!
It was a nice day and 14000 runners turned out down town for the Forzani mothers day run - 5 and 10 K runs, benifiting neontal unit at Foothills Hospital I think.
Supposed to shower off and on this week but hope to get out and start planting, still have one corner of the front not cleaned up! Lots of plants still not showing we are so far behind.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6534056

O wow, Carol - you're sure one busy gal!!
I'm just barely cleaning up, and I've got to get lots planted!
Sounds like a good time was had by all, at the Lougheed House. One of these years I've got to see this beautiful building! I love heritage buildings, and got several pictures of Winnipeg's heritage buildings while I was there (outside only, unfortunately).

btw - those daisies you gave me for the church last year are greening up very nicely (can't remember the name, but you told me they are very hardy, so thanks for that!).

-Susan-

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 11, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6534224

Afternoon all,

Sure do hope you all enjoyed your Mother's Day...

Was surprised that the family got all but 1 thing done seeing as we have heavy rains all day Saturday...

Jeff arrived about 3pm just in time for turkey dinner...he's my youngest, been planning a 15 day kayak trip up the trent waterway system and he's never been in a kayak..has bought all he needs..here I've a 3 bedroom house, den downstairs and couch upstairs and where does he sleep on this cold/raining night, yep, in tent - checking it out..crazy kids...

Got my gazebo up, set in a little patio area...lordy those cement slabs are heavy when they are 2'x2' , likely they'll have sore backs today..finished the stained glass (glass on glass) window that had a mishap last week, redone and hanging, outdoor furniture washed...wow, they were a busy lot...

Am sure either Fri. or Sat. we had frost..had put some of the house plants I so guarded all winter outside on deck table and ooops forgot them..all but one, the ivy, seems to have been affected by the frost...

Lunch time, must run!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 11, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6535705

BOO HOO !!!! My Day Lillies are nothing but a past thought now .. the deer I so religiously fed all winter ATE them !!!
My Hosta may have suffered the same fate ...
Ahhh well ... what can I say ...

The other gardens filled with perennials continue to flourish .. the deer obviously do not like, Delphinium, Phlox, Oriental Poppy or Silver Mound.

The 'itchies' seem to have taken a brief hiatus .. am thinking it may have been the double dose of Benadryl I took last evening before bed time. A friend of mine in Ottawa who has had the same symptoms, was told it was a reaction to UV rays . WHO really knows ?????????????

Tenting sleep !!! UGgggggggggggggg .. Betty .. hopefully your son woke up DRY and able to put on clothing .. to me .. that was the BAR !!! We camped in tents .. but .. sometimes you could NOT get your jeans on in the morning as it had been so humid in the tent !!!! OH.. to be young again and think THAT was an adventure :-)
Actually .. it was an adventure .. and I loved it .. THEN !!!! Now .. I want, at bare minimum a queen sized bed .. and fully functional bathroom (or two) ... LoL .. guess I have matured !!!!!

Off to get dinner out

~M~
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6537808

they will be back next year if mr. deer didnt pull them right out of the ground

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 12, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6538078

"M" it very well could be the ray..as I mentioned before, the burning itching that shows itself as soon as I'm outside is much the same..only certain times of the year..I was told by a specialist, it's a ray that is closest to the earth at those times...yep, who knows...

Ahhhh, poor lillies...you'd think they'd be appreciative of your feeding them all winter to leave them alone...NOT...

It's sunny today but wind is up so feels cold...suppose to rain on Thursday .. should go check 5 day forcast...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 12, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6538089

Shouldn't have done that..rain for Sat..overcast Sunday...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 12, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6539844

It is raining, it is cold, they are suggesting it will S!!!!!!!!!!! and the temps are probably going to be below freezing the next couple of nights!
I went out this morning to pick up my clematis order at Rundlewood Gardens ( one of Calgary's best kept secrets) then stopped at Cdn Tire for begonias and Impatiens. I planted most of my containers a couple days ago but left them all out in the raised bed in the veggie garden and put wire hoops over them so I can sling sheets over quickly. Most of the rest of the plants ( annuals and perennials) are out in my little plastic covered green house and should be OK but I might sling a sheet over them too as the zips are tearing loose. And this mornings purchases are all in the shed!
I have a table in the back porch but took everything out yesterday and dont want to bring them back in, especially in the rain! If the rain stops I will bring the most sensitive plants inside.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 12, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6539938

I sure do hope yer right Mona .. so far just the tops have been bitten off.
Am going to the local Co Op farmers typa store tomorrow to look at having an electric fence installed .. well .. me thinks DH will have to string it himself .. Lorna and I will help .. but .. it is becoming quite evident that his quarter acre veg garden NEEDS proper protection .. remember I bought that 'DEER SCRAM' stuff last year? Granules that I sprinkled around the garden GUARANTEED to keep the deer at bay .. well .. it should be called 'Deer Scam' .. I really do NOT think the stuff worked .. but .. I will try it out earlier in the season ..

It was a lovely day here to start off .. our 37th anniversary (I married at the tender age of TWO) LoL .. however .. as the day wore on .. the clouds ganged up and .. POOF .. spits and spats of rain .. and it will continue for the next 24 hours. Sure hope it doesn't SN** on ya Carol !

Have a loaf of Caraway bread baking .. haven't ever made one as of yet .. smells good though ^_^

Took Lilly on a HUGE walk by the lake shore today .. with the wind coming off Lake Superior it was a titch cool !!!

Betty .. I am still itchy .. altho .. the symptoms appear to be settling down a bit .. fingers crossed .. am getting kinda fed up with taking the cholrophyll .. but .. if that's what is helping .. BONUS !!!

Best get dinner on the go

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 14, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6547956

"M" sure glad I didn't invest in the deer repellant...

Heard some info with regards to ThunderBay not getting some or all of the funding to start the building of streetcars???? did I misunderstand...

Moved us over to here...

MOVED

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/988518/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America