Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Sweet Broom Cytisus racemosus looks to be nearly dead

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
miavcr
Valley Village, CA

April 16, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6420314

I bought and planted this Sweet Broom on April 3rd. It was lusciously green and covered in fragrant blooms when I planted it. Now it seems to be practically dead. I live in Los Angeles and it is getting a little bit of morning sun and then a little bit of afternoon sun. maybe about 3-4 hrs in total. Is it transplant shock or should it be moved to get more sun?
thank you.

Thumbnail by miavcr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6421756

Looks like transplant shock to me. I'm not sure if it's still at the point where you can save it or not--when I've had plants get to the point of looking like that, they frequently don't end up making it. To give it the best chance possible, I would try rigging up some shade to protect it from direct sun for a while. And it's critical to water it properly--too much water at this point is just as bad as not enough, so I'd do the "finger test" and stick your finger down in the ground near the roots and see how wet it feels--if it's soaking wet you need to let things dry out more before you water again, but if it's really dry then you should be watering it more.
miavcr
Valley Village, CA

April 17, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6424070

Thank you. I hope I can save it as it is such a beautiful plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America