Beginner Gardening: Sweet Broom Cytisus racemosus looks to be nearly dead

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
Valley Village, CA

April 16, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6420314

I bought and planted this Sweet Broom on April 3rd. It was lusciously green and covered in fragrant blooms when I planted it. Now it seems to be practically dead. I live in Los Angeles and it is getting a little bit of morning sun and then a little bit of afternoon sun. maybe about 3-4 hrs in total. Is it transplant shock or should it be moved to get more sun?
thank you.

Thumbnail by miavcr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6421756

Looks like transplant shock to me. I'm not sure if it's still at the point where you can save it or not--when I've had plants get to the point of looking like that, they frequently don't end up making it. To give it the best chance possible, I would try rigging up some shade to protect it from direct sun for a while. And it's critical to water it properly--too much water at this point is just as bad as not enough, so I'd do the "finger test" and stick your finger down in the ground near the roots and see how wet it feels--if it's soaking wet you need to let things dry out more before you water again, but if it's really dry then you should be watering it more.
Valley Village, CA

April 17, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6424070

Thank you. I hope I can save it as it is such a beautiful plant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America