Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 151 - Spring it is!!!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 223, Views: 1,791
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6420513

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/971542/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6420537

I just posted on the other thread and you moved it ! hey what is up wit dat. ? lol :P
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6420548

Copy & paste it over here...Toni too...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6420615

see if this works
i did Toni's too

Hey everybody!
I see a lots been going on. Forgive me for not checking in. Busy..busy.

Well Monterey is no more. The kids are all moved to RI and are calling me every 5 minutes giving me blow by blows on the unpacking headaches. Lt is on leave until May 18th and they drove all the way from Monterey by way of Disneyland and visiting family in Anaheim, Oklahoma, Indiana, and of course here. Oprah nipped at Alex and I thought Derek was gonna kill my dog. But he didn't and everyone is back in love. Elijah (the little one) isn't scared of her which is how to deal with her but Alex acts like she is a pit bull.

Garden is going strong. Perennials are coming up well. Got taters and onions planted and all of my okra, squash, melons, cukes, maters and peppers are sown and sprouting happily. The weather up here is cooling out finally and I will be able to get some carrots cabbage, lettuce and my greens out soon.

Other than that business is going ok. I have a lot on my plate with this which can be lucrative but tiring. Now that family stuff is all done I can dig in like I need to to get caught up,

So just saying hey.

Hugs and Love to all who need it.
DustyDS
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)
April 16, 2009
07:10 PM

Post #6420526

Good to see you Toni...

Time to move outta here...

We are continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/976210/

This thread is History!!
taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)
April 16, 2009
07:11 PM

Post #6420533

Edit

Toni we missed you . Glad the kids are all moved in and settling . Poor Oprah was scared by the big ol'man did he scare her ? :)
closed up the GH and got some potted plants moved over there. I don't know if they will live but its worth a shot.
gonna hit bed early tonight
later
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6420618

it worked :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6420682

ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6420695

Thanks Sue and Dusty!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6420759

Back... I planted the three small Nanking cherries and then went and got a subway tuna for dinner. Too tired to cook. I skipped bringing in firewood, though... I'll just have to turn on the heat later tonight.

I did park down on the front lawn (where I've been planting my new bushes) when I got back... maybe I'll get to unloading all that mulch over some weed cloth tomorrow, or at least enough of it that the truck isn't sagging. The truck is feeling its age too. I MUST get a good bit of it emptied, because I have to load up and take amendments to my friend in Abingdon Saturday morning.

The Kid has promised she'll help me with the come-along to start pulling up all those sumacs that are encroaching; she's off for the next 2 days. I did dig up and pot a smaller one for Ric today. Man, it's difficult to stand and dig on that slope!

Lou, you have more blooms than we do around here, too. Must feel nice to see all those blooms! I still have a Christmas ornament you made several years ago... it will be nice to meet you.

Toni, glad you are coming to the RU so I can meet you, too. For me, Roundups are all about the people; plants and food are just extras. I haven't quite put all the new faces I met last June to the right names here yet... 'course I already had met many of you over the last 8 years.

The brunnera (Jack Frost) I bought last summer is blooming. I don't think I've ever had a plant whose leaves continue to get bigger over summer.

Thumbnail by darius

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6421103

Hope you get to feeling better Darius!
Rarely does a plant live up to it's hype.
Brunnera 'Jack Frost' definitely does.
Plus the bonus of the electric blue mini flowers... Perfect.
Forget about the Brunnera 'Variegata' noy worth the effort and very short lived.
We've had JF for 5 years now and it just keeps getting better.

Well this is definitely a Cold.
I rarely get them but when I do...
It's in the stuffy/runny nose phase now so hopefully it's about gone.

Here's some volunteers.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6421187

took two more benadryl to keep my face from itching me to death. Can't see anything ,but my lips are dry dry dry and flaky, tingley , itchy , itchy . I dump chapstick on them. Ugh so annoying .
good night to you all
hugs
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6421198

Okay Toni... Now that you are here...HI!!!!
Glad CA is in the LTs rearview mirror...Ain't no place to raise youngins...
Also alot closer to here where he is now too...Maybe you will get to see more of them... :-))

AWWWWW Bro!!! Cookie came tooling across the yard with a trowel full of some of dem fer me!!!!
How many times do I gotta say ZICAM for colds???? IT WORKS!!

Jim and I got alot done today, even though it doesn't look like it...I got the Fascia board on the porch scraped, wire brushed and painted, and tomorrow the gutter goes up...We got 4 wheelbarrow loads of dirt up out of the hole in front of the side garage door, and hauled down to the bottom side of the pond to use for backfill...I soaked the hole for 20 minutes after raking and leveling it down...tomorrow I will soak it with my herbicide, lay the 3 layers of grasscloth, and shovel in the rocks...and that will be blessedly done, and ready for the new steps on that end of the porch...I loaded a wheelbarrow full of rocks that were at the other end of the porch, so I can transplant some shade plants that need to go there since the Mimosa tree is now gone...

We have enough gutter to go across the rest of the front of the house, but I need to get 2 end caps for it...We already have the downspouts for all of it...Then the front will be done except for painting the rest of the porch, and getting the beadboard on the ceiling...

I gave Jim a hair cut while supper was in the oven, and we got to watch Cookie and Bro plant peas and beets and whatever else while we were at it...LOL...and OH MY Whata view!!! ROFLLL...

Okay...Bons and Marcy... you two take care of those eyes...I'm sorry the both of you are having problems...Hopefully this beautiful weather will get us outside and blow off whatever ails us...

Darius...you take is easy...You are pushing far harder than I do, and I get hollered at...Pace yourself woman!!!

I'm off to play Canasta with my buddy in Scotland...He just messaged me and said he canna sleep...LOL

Niters Sues... hope you are better tomorrow!!! Hugggs!

You all have a wonderful night...and a better day tomorrow...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6421229

good night
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6421520

Well, I didn't get one thing done today. I did get out and walk around and get an idea of what all needs to be done, but just couldn't summon the energy to get anything done. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty, so I am hoping that I can get a lot done then.

So sorry to hear that several of us are suffering from allergies. They are so bad for me this time of year.

Toni, good to see you and glad to hear that your family is getting moved and settled in.

Marcy, how are you doing? Hope the eyes are getting better.

Dusty, you are getting bunches done, Don't overdo.

Ric, colds this time of year are worse than when in you have them in the winter. Take care, and hope that it is a short lived episode.

Lou, things are further along at your place. My lanium is up and looking good but no blooms, yet.

Got a call from the Dr office today, and all the blood tests are normal. Of course there is much that cannot be detected by blood tests, so we are back to square one. Have an appointment next week to discuss the next step. This is sort of the same thing I got when I had this 4 years ago. Everybody knew I was feeling lousey, in pain, no energy, but no diagnosis either. It passed, and I got over whatever, but I don't want to have to deal with another flair up, if I can get an answer. Thanks for your t & p's but keep them up, maybe change the focus to getting a diagnosis.

Off to bed, and I hope you all enjoy a good night.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #6421706

Bonnie...I sure hope they find out the problem for you!
I think like Dusty says...if this weather clears up...and warms up...we will ALL feel better!
The second eye drop seems to be helping...yayyy!! I can at least roll my eyeballs now, without it hurting. The itching has eased up too...and the redness. I look almost human again...lol!
Sue...what did the dr think your itching and breaking out was from? My DIL gets that way if she eats tomatoes.
Toni...good to see you. Glad things are going good for you.
Dusty..thanks for reminding me that I need to give Dave a haircut! I keep forgetting . Maybe that's a Freudian thing?
Well..I did work outside this afternoon...even though it was rather windy and cool here.
And I got a good bit done too. But I had my red nylon windbreaker on ...and caught it on a cage that's around my monkshood...and tore it. That really made me mad! I like that jacket, darn it! I don't think there is any way to repair it either. Bah humbug!
Ok...time for me to hit the sack here.
Sleep well everyone!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6422007

Marcy.. there IS a way to fix it... Remind me tomorrow to tell you..I am dripping from the shower, and remembered I forgot to shut down my puter...Hugggs!!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6422939

Good Morning!!!

I had a wonderful day yesterday. We had a nice lunch with M&D and we went at 11:00 so I had all afternoon and early evening to play outside. I did take my shovel to Berties and helped her get rid of some of the wild early phlox that was in the way of her mower. Got enough for me and had some to share with Dusty, too. I also dug up the 4 little seedling trees I brought back from CT last year. I see that I will have some other things to bring to the RU, so I will go update over there.

I will have to do the two briskets today. But after they're in the oven, I can do some playing outside again. I will get everything ready for the macaroni salad so I only have to put it together tomorrow as well. Oh shoot. Forgot I have to go to the grocery. :O(

Ric, sorry you have the sniffles, that's just no fun at all.
Marcy, glad you're getting some relief with your eyes.
Sue, hope your lips heal up soon. Too bad T isn't there to help keep them moist!
Bonnie, sorry they didn't come up with an answer for you. Prayers continue.
Robin, nice job on your fence, looks like a peaceful place to sit and relax.

We only got peas planted in that bed last night. 6 rows of sugar snap and 6 rows of wando. I LOVE peas! So the other bed is going to have to have a couple things I thought would go in this one.

Have a great day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6422954

good morning
kids have a 2 hr delay ? why i didn't get a memo on it ? no idea .
so we are just vegging around .
gonna be a purdy day and tomorrow as well.
Marcy didn't go to dr yet. Its such a mild case i think i will stick it out. I used to think it was mangos (tropical fruit ) but i havn't had a mango in years ? so i m thinking orange juice is the only thing i added new to my diet ? so it may be just citrus ? in genral . ? i have no idea. I hope it doesn't get worse over the weekend uhg . :P
glad yor eye is healing well yeah on looking human again LOL ! :)
not much going on here
later
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6422959

ROFLLL T her to keep them moist LOLLL funny lady you are Cookie :)
valrita

April 17, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6423000

Defoecat, my prayers are still with you that your doc will find out what's wrong and that it's easily treated.

Toni, good to hear from you. I was wondering where you had gone.

Ric, this is no time to be sick. I hope it passes quickly.

Going to play outside today. We'll be planting roses tomorrow. Got 19 from Palatine. That's about all of the roses our yard can hold. We lost a couple bushes over the winter (actually I think the windstorm did them in). We lost a deciduous holly, Winterthur viburnum, and my Beauty of Moscow Lilac. They were all only a few years old. That makes the third Winterthur that has died on me. Time to try something new.

I hope that everyone has a great day!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 17, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6423005

Though I've been MIA, I'm back! I had some house damage issues from weather, and then a little bit of surgery. My friends and family made me behave myself and not lift or move around, so gardening--even indoors--was tough. I'm back and on the mend, and glad to see everyone!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6423119

Bon's i was just reading about Fibro . says to take high doses of Vit D
shitake mushroom s that are sun dried are a good source. :) if you like mushrooms. ?
but i guess blood work would have showed that ? hmmm
Celene good to see you posting and am glad your back on track from surgery ! . we are glad to see you too.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6423127

Welcome back Celene. Hope you are on the mend.

I am going out to play today too. So need to get the grungies on and head out. Will catch up later.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6423130

Morning folks! Sorry I haven't been around , I do lurk tho...lol.
I just don't type so fast, and fing it hard to keep up with everyone on a daily basis.
It was a rough winter here for us. I have had alot of problems with my back. We stay faily busy. And now that Abby has her license I can have a little more time. She was wearing me out running all the time.
I was out a few minutes ago with Scooter, and it is a glorios day! I am truly getting very excited about spring and all the new room I have to play with. In the next couple weeks I will be going back to the old house and dig up some more plants! lol
The kids won't take care of them, or care that they are there so I'll go get them.
Neal, my lilies are up! YAY!
I just wanted to say hello, and hope that you all can get some time outside today, it sure is beautiful!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6423295

::::::::::Wavin' frantically to Everybody::::::::::::

(((((((((((((Muah!!!!!!!!!)))))))))

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6423381

Good Morning! The sky bodes well for a lovely day here, yay! I slept hard and long, so here's hoping I have more energy today. You all may be right though that some of it is allergins... I'm coughing a lot today. I have to pick up my refill scripts today and I'll get some benadryl and find my inhaler...

Ric, so sorry you have a spring cold. I think those are the worst to have.

Sue, I used to break out from mangoes and tomatoes, and a bunch of other stuff. I found that taking 1-2 tablespoons of Bragg's unfiltered apple cider vinegar daily helps my system in good pH balance, and I can eat what I like...except for mangoes which I have to peel under running water before I can eat them.

Bonnie, the answer/diagnosis is there somewhere... keep searching.

Off to get my boots on and get outside...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6423540

Good morning everyone! What a beautiful day! And I have to spend some of it getting groceries...darn!!!
But I am going to hurry and try to get back early, so I can get a little done here outside!
Dusty...yesssss!!! Tell me how to repair the jacket tear? Its a 3 corner tear.
Hi Celene and welcome back! Hope you are mending properly!
Hey Toni...you are as busy as Dusty!
Sandyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Good to see you too!!! Hope you are taking care of that back girl!
Hi Joyce, Sue, Bonnie, Darius...and oh shoot...Hi everyone!!!!!
All you lurkers too...Lou? Don? hmmmm..know there are many more!
Ric...I really am sorry about your cold. If you are like Dave...when you do get one..it's a doozy! Just keep tellin' yourself ...better days are coming!!!
Ok...guess I have done enough damage here for now. I best get off and get ready to go...so I can leave right after lunch.
Have a wonderful day all!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6423593

Marcy... you have D-mail...

Good Morning everyone... will post later on.. we have an emergency repair to do out on the back patio...

Have a great day!!!
valrita

April 17, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6423895

Has everyone seen this video of Susan Boyles yet? It's good!
http://www.popeater.com/television/article/susan-boyles-britains-got-talent/426649

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6423959

YES! I saw that several days ago... I hope she wins the 100,000... what encouragement for those not so young anymore, but still have dreams. Bravo, Susan!!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6423989

Score 100 for all us average looking folks !!!! What a voice---- I think we will hear alot more from her in the near future. Lou
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6424015

Cold is running backwards.
NOW I have the sniffles... lol!

Our cat Katt has been sneezing a lot lately.
I thought it was alergies.
Robyn called me in yesterday afternoon saying Katt had a stick in her nose.
? So I came in... sure as heck there was something green sticking out of her nostril.
I snagged her in a blanket... grabbed some needlenose pliers and latched on.
It was a 6" piece of grass... followed by another one.
Guess she ate some grass ... yakked it up and it went out her nose.
How weird...

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6424229

You could have gone all day without those details, Ric!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6424309

aawww poor Katt . :( glad its out.
yes is that woman lovely !!!!!! i cried her voice is just amazing . ! she was on a few morning shows today . I saw her.
Yeah for the Scotts !!!!!! wooooohooooooo

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6424343

here is a fun one
its a long one but worth the wait
if you like Sound Of Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6b9bMBXpg
valrita

April 17, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6424715

Okay, Taynors---now I'll be singing that song for the rest of the day! I LOVE that movie. We have the DVD and hubby made me wait until Easter weekend to watch it. I could watch it every week and not get tired of it.

Wouldn't it be great to see something like that in person? Wow.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6425033

LOL...leave it to Ric! Typical male...oops...did I say that????
That Susan Boyles is AMAZING!!!!
Well I sure got my walk in today! I parked at the main entrance...got my drug items...walked to the back to the garden dept...then remembered I needed to get an oil change while there. Soo...I checked out my drug items and plants (of course!)...and decided to walk clear back to my car at the other end of the lot. Did that...and then realized I had lost a flat of plants that was on the bottom of my cart! I retraced my steps...and sure enough, it was laying upsidedown on the sidewalk. Just as I got near it...a lady was walking up to it...lol. I said...I lost those off my cart. She sheepishly said..ohhhh ok...and walked on. I then walk clear back to my car...and drive to the back where you get the oil changed. From there...I walked..(inside) clear across the store to the grocery side and got my groceries...and then clear back to the automotive dept.
What a day! Needless to say...by the time I got home..and unloaded everything...I was DONE! So here I sit! Until Dave gets home that is.
valrita

April 17, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6425053

Wow, Marcy...a five mile hike just going to the grocery! It sounds like your new knees are working good.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6425114

Doing a run through some threads. Hello to all my DG friends!

DH got rained out early, then when the rain quit, he decided to go fishing. Didn't last long though, as it started thundering and lightening again. Rain was barely more than a sprinkle here, so I went ahead and planted some vegetables and flowers I picked up this morning. My little garden is beginning to look like a garden. Now if I can just get the rest of the weeds and grass out of the walkway.

Stay dry!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6425136

LOL Velnita! My knees are tired!!!! I was already hurting from working outside yesterday! I think I am done for today!
Msrobin...I meant to tell you I love your little fence! Good luck on the garden! We are supposed to be dry until Sunday here. And WARM!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6425219

Good afternoon...

Marcy, you really got a workout!

I got a lot done today (it's never enough), and other than being normal-tired I feel a whole bunch better than yesterday!

By some stroke of insight(?), I decided to put tall bamboo poles around the 3 new cherry bushes in addition to the short flags I placed yesterday. Not an hour later my sister backed up her car to turn around so she could drive out to work, and she ran into the poles; fortunately she didn't smash the bushes. (The bushes are planted on the lawn side of the driveway, and there's a gravel area turn-around on the other side.) I have NO clue why she decided to turn around on the lawn instead of the turnout, but she gave me a really nasty look as she burned rubber leaving, like it was MY fault. That whole side of the lawn is a mess anyway where she parked on it all winter instead of the driveway. Looks like PWT lives here... just need a broken-down sofa and a dead refrigerator on the porch... and a dawg under it, LOL.

Dang! I just fried some hard boiled eggs again. Forgot to set the timer. Grrrrr...

When I got my scripts refills, Walmart had tons of NOID hostas for $2. Ther weren't a store mark-down but printed tags $2 from the vendor, so most stores may have them. The two I got in quart pots (2 eyes each) were horribly root-bound but they will survive now that they are untangled and planted in good soil.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6425228

Thanks, Marcy. I'm really anxious for it to fill in a little. This rental house has absolutely nothing pretty growing and I was getting pretty crabby about not being able to garden this spring. You sure are doing great after your knee surgery! I'm impressed!

Bonnie, sorry to hear you still don't have any answers. Seems anything is a little easier to tolerate if you at least know what it is you're fighting.

Darius, how's your gardening coming?

Sue, how's your seedings doing? Any news on selling the trailer?

Dusty, did you get your project done? Nobody's gonna want to mess with you now, after all that rock handling. Probably built up your biceps pretty good. LOL!

I found some Phlox seeds at Walmart this morning, so am going to start some for both here and some to take home. Also found a Stevia plant, that I'm been on the look out for.

Guess I better get started on my part of dinner. Al is going to grill some steaks for dinner.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6425250

Darius...my sympathies! Our roomies both pull clear up to the front of the porch past the end of the driveway. Lucas keeps his turkey/fish fryer sitting on the porch, too. Drives me nuts!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6425263

Robin, glad you got a garden started! Mine is sparse so far... potatoes, yellow and red onions, shallots and garlic... oh, and 9 swiss chard babies. The shallots and garlic look great, makes all that effort last fall really worth the hassle. I had planned to start peas and sugar snaps on the new fence today, even got some of the grass removed where they will go, but then ran out of steam.

I'm planning to go off with Lois tomorrow, to hunt for morels!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6425276

Cool! Enjoy your day with Lois! Sunny told me today they got 40, and was pleased with that. But someone else around there had collected 700. I've never been mushroom hunting, so wouldn't have a clue what to look for!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6425279

Have you all seen Susan Boyle sing "Cry Me A River"? Apparently she recorded it for a charity in 1999 and they only made 1000 copies to raise money. It sounds fantastic, honestly.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6425287

So, where's the link, Ms Antoinine?
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6425306

rut roh...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/videogaga/16130/susan-boyle-hype-revitalizes-10-year-old-cover/
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6425604

Didn't get much done today. About 10am got a call from my Dr and asked me to come in at 12:30. Well, went over tests, and he had called because of a high white blood count. Turns out, I have been fighting a female infection, so got some antibiotics for that. He is certain that is not the problem, this was just an "oh by the way" type thing. Anyway, he is going to be making me an appointment with a rheumatologist. Don't have a clue when.

I saw a clip on Oprah today of the lady from England, and was blown away by her singing voice. It just amazes me that a speaking voice can be so different from a singing voice.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6425677

Good Evening y'all...it got up to 72 glorious degrees here today on my thermometer in the Shade!!...I was in absolute heaven...

I got 2 full Kubota buckets of rocks shoveled off the driveway and into the pit after I sprayed it down with herbicide and dropped at least 2 layers of grasscloth, 3 in some places with lots of overlap...It is finally finished...I watered it down, and will let it settle...rake if necessary...I think I had 4 shovels full left to go when Bro arrived with the first bucket of Black Gold...I wasn't quite ready for it but that's okay... I know how to use a shovel...and he brought me 2 buckets full of it... these plants are going to go nutz in this stuff...

I told Bro my idea, and he loves it, and was very happy with my rock pit...He already understood the premise behind it to begin with...
I am blessed...He said any rocks or Black Gold I need, to just ask...and he will be right here with it...I just LOVE to see that orange Kubota coming my way with *presents*...What a joy!! I must be getting old to be absolutely thrilled to death to see a bucket full of pea gravel or humus/horse poo coming my way...or a bucket full of lava rocks...
Doesn't take much to amuse me anymore I guess...LOL

I just know that having what I need, to do the job at hand, is most certainly a blessing...All Bro does is load up and come flying across the yards and dump his bucket full of goodies wherever I ask him to put it...and my day is full of joy...Ain't it Grand ??

I sit here in the evenings and look around me at Creators Bounty...The flowing creek, the birds, give me peace...anything else is a bonus...and I have plenty of Bonus this spring...

I found my big snake out back in the rockpile behind the garage when I was taking pics...I closed the cam and she and I sat in the rockpile for a bit and enjoyed each others company with her coiled in my lap...
She is so beautiful, and so elegant...Another younger female and smaller than she is, was playing around the porch steps yesterday...I caught her and greeted her, and she has watched me all day today...
I think she will like the new rocks to bask in the warmth of them...

Beef hot shots for supper, and they were yummmy...now I am going to shower and stretch out for some HGTV...

You all have a wonderful evening...Prayers in the Smoke for all as always...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6425890

Antoinine... gobsmacked!! Thanks for the link.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6425902

Robin, your fence are garden area are so cute! And the surroundings look beautiful. If you can't be home, it looks like a nice alternative.

Toni and Sandy, good to "see" y'all again!

Ric, that's so bizarre! So she seems ok now?

((((Bonnie)))), you're in my thoughts and prayers. You're such a "go getter", I know this has to be awful to deal with. Glad to hear you're feeling better at least.

I saw the Susan Boyles video earlier today, it made me cry.

Hugs to all,
Neal

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6425970

Neal, did you listen to Toni's link above? (1999 charity fundraiser album, limited copies, and she has just one song) Her Cry Me a River is wonderful. She doesn't have quite the sultry voice of Julie London, but she's darned good! How did she get overlooked for so long?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6426165

I saw a video on Oprah this afternoon, and Oh, my gosh, her talking voice and her singing voice are nothing alike. Her singing is incredible. Will go listen to Toni's clip in a minute.

Neal thanks for the hugs. I am feeling much better, and when I talked to the Dr today, he has some other ideas to explore, and I am sure that eventually we will have the answer. I just sort of have to wait to see how I feel before I can plan my day.

I have lots of tomato seedlings that need to be repotted tomorrow, and I am sure that I can get that done. I have a nice stool out in my garden shed where I can sit and get that done.

I am saying this cautiously. I have a friend, (Edna's DH) who called last night and asked if I still wanted a greenhouse. I told him that I did, and it turns out, he and Edna had a greenhouse before we knew them, and they sold it to a friend of theirs. It turns out the friend he sold it to never put it up, and he is willing to sell it to me for (drum roll) $100.00. I will only need to buy some treated lumber and some plastic. It comes with a fan, a little wood stove, and all the tables. Whoopee. And since he is familiar with it, he is willing to help DH put it up. DH is not enthused, as he says that I probably don't feel well enough to use it much, and he has a laundry list of the why we shouldn't, how much work, and yadayadayada. So here's hoping that I can convince him that it would be well worth the time and money. This is a very sore spot in this relationship, and I am hoping and asking for your t & p's to be sent heavenward, to remove all the resistance that DH has to this project. I feel like this is the pennacle of my gardening.

Dusty, I hope you sent enough good vibes to the snakes for me also. Just tell them I respect them, and if they have neighbors who live in my vicinity, to ask them please to not slither onto my property!! I can commune with just about anything else, but them.

Robin, your fence and garden area are just picture perfect. I know that since you love to garden, it would be hard for you to go through the spring/summer without dirt to play in.

Chele, check in and let us know about Craig's consult with the surgeon.

Well, I need to read some other threads, and then I am off to bed.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6426212

Dusty...Beautiful work!

Bonnie, sending positive thoughts to DH to be agreeable to your new GH. If you have to, you could resort to stamping your foot, with your lower lip stuck out and inform him that all of your DG friends have GHs. Don't think it worked very well when we were kids, but hey, it might now.

Appreciate the compliments on my garden. It ain't much and isn't very big, but at least I get to play in the dirt. :)

Sure sorry I missed the talk shows with that singer and it takes forever to watch videos on here, but I'll keep watching for her in the future.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6426257

Robin, I don't think foot stomping will work. He is obstinate when he wants to be, I just have to remind him how many $$ he has spent in our relationship on HORSES!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6426414

I wondered why I hadn't had any updates. Y'all had left me. :)

Bonnie, I sure hope you get some good news soon!

Hubby has been dragging buns and feeling pretty bad. In spite of it, he's still taking care of the critters every morning, helping with Nolan and helping the neighbor with his shop and doggies.

The Dr said they are going to go ahead and take out his gall bladder. They are hoping to do it laprascopically. I'm not looking up the correct spelling. I'm too tired! LOL If all goes well, it should be a fairly quick, easy surgery. Of course they won't know anything until they get in there and check the bile duct. They are calling Monday to set up surgery for Thursday or Tuesday of the following week. They said Thursday looked pretty busy.

Nolan has gained 2 pounds and is 2 inches taller. He's already laughing about stuff and we get lots of smiles. He loves the cat but she's not too thrilled with him. The dogs are another matter. They lick him until he can't breathe or shove him around with their noses.

Everybody else is doing fine other than Jazzi has pink eye. Yay. We were supposed to have five soccer games tomorrow but two got canceled because the fields are too wet. So it will be an easy day. ha! At least all three games are at the same place.

Sorry I don't have more to say but I'm headed to bed! The last four days have been crazy.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6426526

Here's another link to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

Ric
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6426594

I just heard her sing that 'Cry me a river". OH wowww! She will be a superstar for sure!!

Bonnie...yayyy on the greenhouse. Tell him...you HAVE to have it! LOL!
Darius...I laughed myself silly over your description...lol! Too funny!! And yet..I'm sure it's not! But what can ya do but laff? Ok..don't answer that !!
Chele...hugggggggggs!! Tell Jazzi NOT to rub those eyes...lol..easier said than done! Don't let her use any towels or washcloths but her own! Voice of experience here...lol!
I feel for her!!
Ok...too tired to see straight here. It's off to bed for me. Hope you all sleep well...and have a great day tomorrow.!! More sun..and more HEAT!! Yeahhhh!!!
Nite all.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6427196

Bonnie, tell him its either the greenhouse or he needs to buy you a nice home in a warm climate to overwinter in- those are the only ways you'll feel better! The greenhouse will suddenly seem like no big deal at all, LOL. I'm envisioning you tending your lush, green pretties in your greenhouse all winter- you WILL have that greenhouse, ya just gotta! You could also threaten him with a mob of DGrs showing ups with torches and pitchforks, we'd do that for ya!

Chele, we need pics of that big boy's grins! Hope Craig gets relief soon. T&P to the whole family.

Haven't looked at Toni and Ric's links yet, off to do that!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6427331

Neal, now you have painted a very frightening picture.

Good morning, slept well, and it looks to be a beautiful day. DH has already taken off to the lake, with a buddy for a day of fishing.

Just as soon as the coffee is gone, I will head out to the garden shed to do some repotting.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6427352

Fear can be an excellent incentive, LOL.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6427356

Goodmorning! No sunshine in my world this morning. Rain forecast all day here starting in a little while.

I planted my few store bought seedlings and bedding plants yesterday. Going out shortly to plant some seeds and a few of my own seedlings. The rest I'll pot up till I decide which ones will definitely go home with me. Also going to try to dig and pot up a few little Blackberries while it's so cloudy and rainy today. Maybe they won't even notice they've been transplanted. (Fingers crossed, anyway)

Have a great day all! :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6427359

Google Susan Boyle sings 'My Heart Will Go On'
For a new song.

Off to 'Creek

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6427552

good morning
make a quick one today
lots to do
Bonnie glad you got some news on the dr. I hope the meds work for you.
Yeah for the Scotts !!! i knew we could do it LLOL she is amazing. Move over Carrie Underwood !!
msoribin i hope my seeds are doing good, i might have fried them yesterday
Marcy wow you go girl !! on them knee's
fil just drove up
later
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6427750

Good morning all! Well I am up and at it again this morning!! Seems no matter how bad the legs hurt at night..they are better in the morning...woohooo!
MsRobin...sorry you aren't getting the sunshine and warm day there. Yes..this would be a great time to transplant anything!
Ok..starting today..it's two drops in each eye for 3 times a day...for two days..then down to 2 times a day..for two days...then to one time a day for two days..then stop. Guess you have to come off this stuff slowly huh? Eyes are MUCH better!! I am soooo happy!
Knock on wood...(my head!)
I Hope you all have a WONDERFUL day...playing in the dirt!! Laterrrrrrrrs!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6427929

I have transplanted many tomatoes today. Need to transfer some out to the garden shed that have been hiding in the house to keep warm. I think spring is here, and everything will do well out there. I have a heater if the nights are supposed to get cold again.

Taking a little break, and sort of taking inventory of what needs to be done.

Marcy, good news about the eyes, knock on anything, it is about time.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6428109

Hello all!
Taking a break from this beautiful day! Windows are open and the breeze is great.

My life is finally coming back to what I consider normal. We had a friend who we knew had a drug problem(pills), but had entered a day rehab program a few months ago and was struggling financially. We decided to rent our spare room to him to help him get on his feet. Well within 2 weeks I knew something was not right with him. To make a long story short. We had to ask him to move because he was using again. We started getting calls from drug dealers threatening him over owed money and he quit his job. Then he just paid us for 2 weeks and disappeared. He had left and went to Atlanta.

Then his father and mother(they are divorced) started calling because he had taken out over 2000.00 in pay day loans and used them as reference. He left all his stuff here. Clothes, couch, bedroom set and even his cat. He finally did call and told us to sell everything except things in dresser and clothes and of course the cat. He has multi bad checks and now of course warrants for his arrest due to those. It has been a month of insanity! He states he will "fly by" in 2 weeks to pick up his personal belongings and his cat. I have already boxed them up and don't want him here any longer then he needs to be.

The only thing good that has came out of this craziness is his mother. We have become great phone/chat buddies. A wonderful woman who loves her son, but has finally said enough is enough. This man is 37. What a shame. She lives in Dayton.

On to good stuff! I got my new green house and It's filling up fast, I have new puppies(yes, I picked up another pregnant stray) that are toddlers now and cute as a button. I have incubated lots of new chicks and the garden's are just beautiful. This will be my full 2nd year here and I am seeing my "fruits of my labor". A cat we were watching fell into the Koi pond and that is going to have to be repaired(It was really funny though. He is fine, but he ripped my liner to shreds) We are also building a small aviary to hold my Mandarin ducks, red golden pheasants, bob white quail and doves. I have always wanted an aviary with mixed birds in it. It will sit by our patio. I can't wait to just sit and watch and listen to the birds.

So 2 months of rough stuff. Now I get to play full throttle! I have been keeping up with you all, but was in a bad mind set to comment. That is why I have been so quiet for a couple of months. I do not like to deal with Illegal stuff and people that go with it. Then my siblings, which I love dearly wanted to come and stay with us for 3 weekends in a row. Both sets with husbands and dogs in tow. I know this is a great place to "play" at, but enough is enough. Yesterday I had a full agenda and my sister calls and is half way here with her husband. So that shot yesterday. I did get a few hours in, but not what I wanted. Today I feel great and will tackle more potting of bulbs, coleus cutting and sowing seeds for GH.

Well I didn't mean to type so much, but the story just kinda came out. Breaks over!
Hugs to all
George
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6428157

George good to have you back. Yep, I understand you wanting to help a friend, but that friend has to help himself first. Hugs, you are a wonderful friend to many.

I know about company that is unexpected, I just sort of sit with a glazed look, thinking about what all I could be doing outside. Not a good host when I have an agenda that is interrupted.

Going to the big garden with DH in just a few minutes to plant some potatoes and onions. Trying to beat the rain that is supposed to be moving in.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6428286

Grrrrrrr... my sister JUST drove over my cherry bush AGAIN!!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6428295

(((George))), at least after all that, you are on the upswing! Hang there and enjoy your garden!

I too hate unexpected company, that expects me to drop everything to entertain them. I plan my work at home based on the weather, temperature and neccessity. Can't even tell them to come help, cause it's so much easier to do it myself than try to supervise.

Enjoy whatever good weather you've got. We've got thunderstorms all day!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6428341

Darius, seems to me you got 2 choices...build a fence or move the cherry bushes. Moving the bushes would be a whole lot cheaper, and probably would alleviate you blowing up at your sister...at least in regards to this issue. Looking forward to seeing your place again after the new plantings this spring.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6428622

Here's the Cincinnati gallbladder update. Baby sis saw the surgeon yesterday & asked if she could wait until school is out (she teaches age3-6, Montessori type magnet school). He told her that she could try but that she was "a ticking time bomb." He also plans laparascopic surgery & told her to expect to take a week off if she does have the surg before school ends.
Went out looking for houses with a first-time buyer friend. Saw a lotta DOGS today. Better luck next week, I guess.

George-- been there, done that, & done it all over again, as with your friend. Always makes me feel hurt & mad just as bad as the first time. Please--- don't give him the cat if he's high or loaded!

Going out to try & get some outside work done! Yay!!!
Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6428675

Okay George, I'm over most of my anger at my sister, so now I can give you a genuine big hug for surviving all the drug related crap lately!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6428708

Taking a break here. From what??? NOTHING! So far...I have gotten nothing done!
Dave went to start the mower...and the transmission is locked up...again! Of course he ranted and raved until I could stand no more. I said let's go buy a new one...so you can get the grass mowed...TODAY! Ok...talked him into that...told him I would pay for it...oh yeah..how hard was that to take??? LOL.
Get home...and I said...surely you don't expect me to help get that off the truck???? Wellllllllll..Yess..he did!!! I should have known. I said...NOPE! So then he is going to do it by himself...and I said...NOPE. So now he is trying to run the BIL down...to get him to come and help. Not sure if he will get any mowing done today or not? I always get stuck helping with heavy things like that...and know that I have no business doing it...and decided for once...I was putting my foot down about it.
((((((George)))))))...what a mess huh? Thank God I have never had to deal with anything like that. Not sure I could handle it...especially if it were my kids.
Ok...I better get myself outside and see what I can accomplish here.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6429482

Hi to all!

The lurker is back and I wanted to express how just how great it is to be a gardener on a perfect spring day. I have a garden stone that reads" An hour in the garden puts all of lifes problems in perspective." I need to paint one that reads " A day in the garden, is a day without cares." I worked out in the garden at my slow, old lady speed today. I moved some errant seedlings, and weeded the perennials. I cut my first bouquet of the year and it is beautiful. I rested often, and listened to the gentle music of the wind chimes, and two goldfinches , singing their hearts out. I felt the gentle breezes all day. I am tired. But, it's the "good" tired from a little physical effort. I have cares and worries about my daughter, but I didn't think of them once today. I hope , that if I make it to heaven, the good Lord will let me work in his heavenly gardens.

I hope all of you will get to have a day ,soon, without cares as I did.

Lou
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6429492

Ok...just so you all know...I lied! I helped get the mower off the truck. It wasn't too bad actually. He has ramps...but that thing is big and heavy. He took most of the weight, and when it got down to the bottom, just let it go into the yard. That's what I was worried about...being a brand new mower. Didn't want any damage. But it all worked out ok. I mainly made sure the wheels were in alignment with the ramps...and helped guide it down.
He is done mowing already! Wow...it's a lot faster than our old one! He said it turns quicker, etc. He is pleased with it...and I am pleased with the way it cuts!
We tried 3 different people to get to help...none available. Oh well. Only problem now is for him to get rid of the old mowers...lol. Right now my car will be out in the cold, so his new mower has a home...because there is no other room for it!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6429501

Lou...thats wonderful! I'm so glad you had a great day! I really did too, even for all my complaining.
And I forgot to say, my friend, with the breast cancer, has passed away. She sure didn't last long. So I have to go to the viewing tomorrow. She loved to garden too.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6429902

Lou, what a perfect day for you! We all need days like that on occassion.

Marcy, sorry to hear about your friend. T&P with her family and friends.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6429912

(((((((GEO)))))) big hugs my friend. Its hard to help people on drugs. Even when they are finaly sober and clean, its seems they have a different mind set ? well i m glad your all ok and things are looking up. The bird aviary sounds wonderful !!! you would love to hear all the birds here , its so pretty to listen to them. I m sure you have pretty song birds all around you also.
(((((Marcy )))))) so sorry to hear of your friend :( T&P to you and her family.
darius ! what on earth is wrong with that sister of yours ? does she not like cherrys ?
Ric how is the sniffles coming along ?
Hey Lou good to see you. That is a nice saying . makes sense. I love to be out in my duct tape Gh and looking at my deer eaten flowers . It still makes me feel good LOL sounds like you had a great time in your garden.
goshmom i hope your sis is doing ok . T&P for her . I love montissour schools. Wish there was one around here .
well busy at our place.
GH stuff
then went an picked up straw for my garden.
kids had a friend over
made cupcakes with a doohicky thingy called Girl Gourmet cup cake maker. taking it back it is beyond disgusting !!!! i didn't expect much but this was realy bad !!!!
and a few other things. not much exciting. grocery , laundry ect...
good night
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6429917

Geo what kind of pups are they ? do we get pics ?
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6430391

Beautiful Lou.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6430434

Lou, great sentiments. I love the leisurely pace, but the DH has only one gear, and it is high. We went to the big veggie garden, and planted potatoes, onions, asparagus, and squash. I came home and instead of heading to the shower, wandered out to the garden shed, and transplanted some annuals. About 5pm, DH asked where we were going to go for supper, as we usually eat out. I was so tired, we ordered pizza. DS and his SO came just before we ordered, so they stayed and ate. Just as soon as I threw the last paper plate in the trash, I headed to the shower, and then had about an hour's rest before I could even move.

The rain has not arrived, and although we could use a bit, I still have some things I would like to get done tomorrow afternoon.

Marcy, sending t & p's for your friend's family. So sad. Yep, the DH's think that we are the hired help. Everybody comes by wanting the DH to do this and that, but then when he needs something not a one to be found. Sure glad that you didn't try to lift and hurt your back.

Sue, even if you have deer eaten plants, you have a GH that takes some of the sting out of the deer buffet. Guess we have too many dogs that not a deer would chance stepping into my yard!!

I am heading to my bed, and hope that I sleep soundly.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #6430676

Bonnie, you're really loving your potting shed, aren't you! LOL! What's the word on your GH now? My "open air"' potting shed isn't even a smidgen as cool as yours, and my GH is kind of small at 10' x 10', but I so enjoy spending time in both!

Sue, Bonnie is right about the deer and dogs. I've not had a single problem with deer around the garden or anything else I've planted, even though they cross our field almost everyday. Same with the other nusiance critters. My first GH back home was like yours, duct tape and all. As long as it's working for you now, just enjoy it. You can get a bigger/better one next year. You had a lot going on this past year with building your house and getting moved in.

Hope everyone has a great day Sunday...rain or shine. I'm going to try and go back to bed now, so will hopefully be able to sleep in a bit in the morning.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 19, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6431265

We're too suburban for deer, but the rabbits, birds, and squirrels...grr! The dogs are in the fenced back yard, MUCH fewer pesty issues there.

I can see peas, sweet peas, lettuce and radishes sprouting today! I also have to weed out approximately 8000 pink rose campion from my flower beds...it re-seeded like a perfect gray mat, which is pretty right now, but will be too much in a month or two.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6431555

Good Morning... no rain here yet; looks like not until mid-afternoon, but lasting through Tuesday night at least. Then light frost Thursday night... Sigh. I NEED a GH!

I read something about deer repellent just recently, now I forget what it was? Maybe a garlic spray? Oh, Heck... I'll look it up. OK... "Researchers have observed that time-released garlic capsules planted at the bases of fruit trees actually kept deer away. It's certainly worth a try!" I wonder if it wouldn't work elsewhere in the garden?

Lou, sounds like a perfect idyllic day. Good for you. :)

Here's the temporary barricade that I hope will keep my sister from driving over my plants. She broke the growing tip out of the one she drove over yesterday; I hope it survives.

Thumbnail by darius

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6431610

Darius I love the Car Catchers at the gate entrance.
Funnel her right thru do they? lol!

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6431613

darius i sure hope it works . Gee how did she hit that ? i love your bridge !
ok i know "get a dog " very tempting. Hmm it sure has me thinking . *smirk on face "
i did try pepper spray on the plants but with all the rain it was pointless.
darius after i finish Bonnies hoop house i will take a trip on over and help you get one up LOL i will let you do all the hammer ing :P lol
no rain yet but we are due for some. it sure is pretty out though. no sun but nice cool and calm out. bird are singing
ttyl
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6431684

Darius, whatever it takes! What's really funny (well, maybe not so funny) is that you have plenty of gravel area to both park and turn around.

All of the pictures that Darius has shared of her place do not do it justice. It is absolutely beautiful and layed out perfectly. She even has her own little creekside park on the other side of the driveway.

Sue, I use the pepper/water spray a lot at home. With our heavy fog almost every morning, I have to use it all most daily. But it does help with the bugs. I like the garlic capsule suggestion. That would be a lot less time consuming than spraying everything.

We got lots of rain yesterday and early this morning. According to the radar, we are now on the back side of it. The sun peaked out for a minute or two just a bit ago, so hopefully the day will turn out to be a nice one for us. I would love to be able to play outside with the garden today and get it finished. All my plants that were just planted over the last two days sure look good.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6431737

Darius, what a beautiful GREEN photo! Blooms too!

Not much going on here. Feeding the baby...working...We had three soccer games yesterday. We won two and tied on the third. It was nice to get outside and enjoy the weather. It was warm but breezy and we all got a bit of a sunburn. I took sunscreen for the baby but he spent most of his time under a blanket or cloth diaper eating. LOL

It's warm here but sprinkling. I'm hoping to get help with Nolan long enough to get out and cut my ornamental grasses back and shower. That stuff gets darn itchy if you get it on you.

Other than that, I worked a couple of hours this morning and am on my third load of laundry.

Y'all have a good day!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6431781

Chele, I am (as well as everyone, I'm sure) so happy for you that you found a work-at-home job that gives you the freedom to still be so involved with the girl's sports.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6431792

Chelle what kind of job is this ? :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6431809

LOL, Chele... I had to look again at the photo to see what blooms were there... Yes, everything is green, almost overnight. I've already had to mow the grass 3 times.

Ric, I love those railings by the bridge. Not the best place for them, yet... They came off a Miami Beach Art Deco hotel. They don't really mesh with a country place, and I've tried to sell them 2-3X but not when I still lived in a city where they'd fit better. How's your spring cold?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6431908

Darius, were those up when I visited your place? I personally think they are pretty cool. A couple of suggestions to make them more country looking...either paint red or brown, then grow some flowering vines on them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6431919

Nah... The juxtaposition is growing on me, LOL. They were here when you visited; they've been by the bridge nearly 2 years.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6431931

Yes, getting this job is a Godsend. :) I need to get in touch with the state office and see what it's going to cost me. LOL I wasn't expecting to get paid for a couple of weeks.

It's data entry. I go cross eyed looking at number, names and addresses. LOL

We're still hoping for Craig to hear back from the computer company. Cincinnati is a new area for them so they told him it was going to be slow going to get the ball rolling. Grrr. As much as I've enjoyed having him home, I will be glad for him to get back to work, here or anywhere!

Tomorrow we should find out when his surgery will be. Keep up those prayers for a quick, easy laprascopic surgery!

Pat, I hope your sister's is the same!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6432333

Great that you found a good stay at home job Chele. All my best to Craig and the kiddoes!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6433122

the reason i asked Chelle i saw a show on tv about scams with stay at home and work type deals. Oh the horror some of them people went through. So when you said " work at home " i thought " oh boy i hope its not one of them scams. " ? not to say your a sucker and i do believe your a smart cookie to boot. :) i was just looking out fer yah's cuz i wuv you. :)
keeping the T&P for Craig .
well got some stuff done in teh GH.
kids went to a friends. peace and quiet for another hr and they come home
aaahhh it was good while it lasted.
ttyl
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6434831

I have had just a relaxing day. It has rained all day, and couldn't really get out and do much. We went to church, and then home for lunch. After I got the kitchen cleaned, I sat down to read, and then had a nap, talked to my DTS, and watched Desperate Housewives, so that was the sum total of my day. I think the rain is supposed to last through tomorrow. No matter I have plenty that I can do inside, plus I have more tomatoes to get potted up tomorrow, and I do that in the garden shed.

Yes, robin, I am really getting the good out of the garden shed. I used it some before, but since I have electricity, I can really extend the hours, and stay out there as late as I want. I will be moving all of my crafts out there, and setting up a work area where I will be able to work on them, without having all the stuff spread out in the house.

Darius, hope your barricades work, and keep your DS out of the garden stuff.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6436189

Hey yall!! I 'think' all are well and maybe the 'evil sickness' is GONE for awhile. :)

We had an EXCELLENT weekend. The weather...was so GREAT and I finally got to get my hands dirty!!!

Ball practice Sat morning. I got sunburned watching sons. Then Mike and I went to Lowe's to get the lumber for my square foot/potager boxes to plant my veggies. I bought the soil on Friday. A couple of the kids helped me stain the lumber to 'fancy' it up.

After church on Sun, we grilled pork chops and sausage...then the whole family went outside and helped me. We built the boxes, picked up the rocks, mixed up the soil mixture and got it ready.

I am so excited...I have some things sprouting that must get a home soon.

Heather

Thumbnail by Henygirl

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6436502

The weather here can't make up it's mind.
Sunny when I got up... looks like rain now.

We went up to Bethel and picked up that 1/4 side of beef yesterday.
Man what a lovely Farm.
70 acres of rolling pasture and hedge rows, a creek winding thru and two ponds.
110 year old revamped house... Perfect!
As is the beef... we had Rib Eyes last night... cut it w/ a fork!

Off to attemt so yard work.
Digging up boo and petasites if the weather holds...
Ric

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6437294

Hey everyone...good afternoon. Well ... a yukky and grey day here, with intermittent rain.
And supposed to get colder...I'm already cold enough!
Went to the visitation for my friend yesterday. They had the neatest thing for her. She would have LOVED it. They had these bookmarks...and one end was a tear off. It had a felt heart glued to it , with wildflower seed imbedded in it. You are supposed to take the heart and plant it...and the seed come up. It had a little poem on it too. I thought it was really a great idea...and a nice way to remember a friend and fellow gardener.
Then went to see my brother. He seems to be doing pretty good...although I thought he seemed very nervous? His hands and feet always seemed to be moving? Said he felt good except he is sore. They gave him a 99% cure rate...with no chemo or anything for followup...so that sounded good to me!
We stopped to eat supper at one of our fav places in West Milton...the Pearson House.
Nor much atmosphere...but great food. They had this butterscotch cake that she had just made...so we had to try it. OMG..it was out of this world!!!!!!!!!
All the bossman (Bob) would say was it had two pudding mixes in it..butterscotch and vanilla. It was like a crumb cake..had a cinnamon topping..and a gooey layer, halfway inbetween. Wow...I would LOVE to have that recipe!
Here I am...making myself hungry, when I just had lunch...LOL!
Not sure what we will be doing today...but think I will make a big pot of vegetable soup for supper. Soup always sounds good to me when it is rainy and dreary outside.
Hope you all have a good one!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6437764

You just gave me the incentive to get a pot of Chili cooking Marcy...and it IS getting colder..It has dropped from 55* at 8am to 48*...Brrrr & Grrrrr!!
I was just sitting here looking out the window and feeling chilled and frustrated at all the work I want to be doing outside...I have the plant bed in front of the porch exactly 1/2 done and it's driving me nutz that I can't get back out there to finish it...I went out between raindrops and refilled the bird feeders, and my clogs were sucking mud...LOL
Great news about Brother Dave!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6438170

Getting chilly here too, and a hot soup or stew sounds wunnerful. Actually chili sounds good too, I just cannot eat it anymore. Doubt I'll get around to making something, though; probably just open up some home canned vegetable bean soup. I'm in the throes of major cleaning, and won't get it all finished today because my back already hurts. I fail to understand WHY I leave it to get SO bad most of the time. Shame, shame. I have enough cat hair from my 2 cats, and my sister's cat, to knit a kitten.

We've only had intermittent light rains today, and wind. Tomorrow is more rain, but tomorrow night... rain and snow showers. Yuck.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6438772

Back again. Darius...you leave it because...1. It makes you hurt to do it. and 2. like most of us...you probably don't like to clean! And then suddenly...there it is!! LOL!
Dusty...Hope you got that pot of chili made? I lied...never made my soup!
We ran to Greenville because they had Tyson boneless chicken breasts on for 1.49 lb.
By the time we did that, and got a few other things, it was almost time to eat! I told Dave, well either we will eat at 8...or we can eat out. Since he doesnt like to eat late...he said ..lets stop at Kathy's and eat. It's a small place in Greenville. So I had a grilled chicken breast and a salad. He had a chopped steak dinner.
I'll either make the soup tomorrow, or these crockpot chicken breasts that were in my Taste of Home crockpot cooking newsletter. Both sound good!!

Edited to say... I looked online and found this butterscotch cake recipe that HAS to be the one I had yesterday!!! Woohooo!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2009 6:25 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6439078

Good going on finding the recipe, Marcy! (and you are right, I do not LIKE to clean, but I do like it clean! I didn't mind as much when I had enough space so everything had its own place. Back then I actually had a cleaning lady too.)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6439367

darius so what did your sis say when she saw your new baracade LOL
did she run it over ?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6439535

Just popping in to say hi. All's good on the homefront.

Stay warm and dry! Rumor has it, that better weather is on it's way!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6439996

Darius...same here on the clean! I have a cleaning 'guy' here...LOL!!!! Works for me!!!
MsRobin...looking forward to that warmer weather here!!!!
Night everyone.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6440001

I haven't even checked in today. I too was forced to stay in, and made some phone calls, and paid bills, and balanced check books, then had a meeting this afternoon at church. Had made a pot roast yesterday, and turned it into beef hash over corn bread tonight for supper. It was good, and a great way to use up the leftovers.

Tomorrow, I will be cleaning, because on Wednesday night, I am hosting the Bible study group, and on Thursday night, I have invited company for fish and hush puppies. Also on Wednesday I will need to do the grocery and errand, and visitation to the funeral home/ with funeral to follow immediately after the 9-12 visitation. This is a relative of DH's who I didn't know well, so I think I will go to visitation, then slip out and head to the grocery while he stays for the funeral.

Marcy, give us a clue about that butterscotch cake, it sounds yummy. Can you provide a link to it. Glad to hear that your brother is doing well. What a neat idea of the seeds at your friends funeral visitation.

Darius, I hear you on the love/hate relationship with cleaning, and enjoying the clean. I told DH that since he invites the company for fish, he will be helping me to get the house in order.

I don't know when I will squeeze it in, but I have more tomatoes that need to be potted up. The ones I did last Friday are looking good. I have some baby columbine that needs to be moved into another bed, and some sedum and delphenium that needs moving too. I ordered a witch hazel, and it came on Saturday, so need to get that planted out. I may just keep it in a big pot this year because it is small, and plant it out next spring.

So much to do and so little time.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6440123

Don't remember the website...but here is the recipe!
You sound busy as usual Bonnie. Take care!!

332 - Butterscotch Coffee Cake
(by Shirley McNevich)

1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1 - 3.5 oz. box Jell-O butterscotch instant pudding
1 - 3.5 oz. box Jell-O vanilla instant pudding
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 cup cold water
1 cup Domino's dark brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a mixer, combine yellow cake mix, butterscotch pudding, vanilla pudding, 4 eggs, and the 1 cup canola oil--beat until smooth. Add 1 cup cold water and beat until creamy. To make the crumb topping, in a bowl add brown sugar, nuts (optional), and cinnamon--mix with a spoon. Grease a 9 x 13 x 2 cake pan and pour 1/2 of the cake batter in the cake pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of the crumb mixture over the cake batter in the pan. Pour the remaining cake batter in the cake pan, and then sprinkle with the rest of the crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6440158

Marcy
Here is something I copied from a post I made one of the Roundup Recipes threads. It sounds similar to your butterscotch cake. It's really good.

Quick Snack Cake

1 yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 can butterscotch Thank-You brand pudding
2 eggs
2 tbls. oil
Mix together with spoon in bowl. Do not use a mixer. Pour into greased 9x13 pan, spread evenly.

Top with 9 ounces butterscotch morsels, sprinkle top with granulated sugar.
Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

---------
Make chocolate version by substituting chocolate cake, pudding and morsels. You can add nuts if you want, but I don't think they are needed - it's pretty rich as is.
---------
I think Thank-You discontinued the butterscotch pudding. Instead, I bought the small lunch size cups of Hunts... (I think the Thank-You pudding is a 15.75 oz can)... using as many little cups as needed to make about 16 ounces.

The friend I got this recipe from said not to use boxed pudding that you make up yourself - either the cooked or instant, as the cake will not turn out well. But the little cups seemed to work ok.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6440190

Hey Thanks Julie!
Yours sounds good too!
The bossman did tell me though...that there was a box of vanilla pudding mix and a box of butterscotch pudding mix in this. Plus his had the cinnamon topping and the cinnamon layer in between too...so I am pretty sure this has to be it.
I'll try yours too...it sounds good!
Ok...off to bed here...tired tonight.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6440636

Note to self: Go on my eating tour of the ORV stopping at Marcy's Bonnie's Jule's and Dusty's. Then go run sweeper for Darius and check in on George (hope you are feeling better friend).

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6441652

Sounds like a plan, Toni! LOL.

Sue, I asked my sister if we needed to switch parking slots so she can avoid the barricade. She admitted the barricade is effective, and said she'll "try" to back-up more carefully. She's off Mondays and Tuesdays, so we'll see what really happens Wednesday afternoon when she goes to work again! (If it's still raining, the barricade will be up. I'm not going out in the rain to move it.)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6442333

darius glad that barricade is helping .:) lol she might think twice when you make a pie out of them delic berries :) lol
Marcy i second on the cake !!!
darius when do you plant your garlic ? i m going to try some this fall. I read your articles and was wondering. I will order some from Seed Savers Exchange in Iowa ? ( i always think they are in Wisconsin ? ) and i don't know a date ? early sept ? or mid oct ?
gonna order two heads of several varietys . this spring i will amend an area for them.
got to run , wash is done
brb
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6443088

Sue, I think I planted my garlic in October, probably around the middle. I marked the exact date on my 2008 calendar but the calendar is in a safe place... LOL.

One thing I can advise you is to order early, like June or no later than July, for fall shipment. Most growers are out of stock long before the time for us to plant. Two years ago I tried to order in August and was lucky to get pot-luck. Last summer I ordered about a pound each of 5 organic varieties, one I think was 1-1/2 pounds. That was 2 large heads of each variety, and 3 heads of one. My cost with shipping was about $80, from Oregon.

I got potatoes from Seeds of Change last year. They were direct-shipped to me from a grower in Maine and the packaging looked like Fedco. I doubt SOC grows their own garlic either.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6443144

Hey Sue... this is for you! Michele Obama with sneakers and muddy knees in the WH garden...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/09/michelle-obamas-down-and_n_185395.html

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6444227

I love it darius !!! she is a "go getter " i m proud of her for getting dirty ! LOL
Ok i ordered my garlic already and did a sept ship date , but i can plant it in Oct or so ?
I did check with our extension office and went to an OSU site but the extension office thought it was some kind of alien life form ? LOL and the OSU site said to plant/ grow it in spring starting in March ? ok ?
so i read your articles , love them . :)
I did an italian variety and Siberian both are hard neck , they didn't seem to have a soft neck variety ?
but the organic farmer down the road has some.
I really like SSE , cuz i know they grow it all there . maybe more expensive like alot more expensive ! but they are organic and have good stuff. I got a garlic book and a how to make garlic powder !! that is what i m looking forward to the most !!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6444358

Ric --- can you describe the foliage on the pulmonaria you are wanting starts back from... rose something? The one I thought was from you, has blue flowers, and green leaves splashed with white. I was thinking yours had mostly green leaves, with more pinkish flowers? Do you have a photo? I was going to take one of mine, but my batteries were dead on both cameras, then the downpouring rain... charging batteries today...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6444418

Hardnecks will grow fine for you, probably better than softnecks, just can't braid them. October is fine for planting unless the ground freezes down 3" before then, which is not likely.

Don't forget, the Universities in different zones give different advice. Yes, you could plant them in spring, but you wouldn't have very good growth before you'd have to harvest them... Has something to do with day length, besides zone temps. Fall planting gives them lots of time to establish a good root system before hibernation. Then in spring, they are ready to zoom, instead of a time lag to get good roots.

What variety did you get besides Siberian? (I planted that one in my patch.)

Here's an idea for our resident techno-gadget-geek, Kimberly (no offense intended). There's a "gadget" that you place in a plant container, and when the plant needs water, it sends your cell phone a message via Twitter that it needs water! It's called Botanicall. Then it sends another message to thank you after you water it.

Hey Ric... I got a 55 gal. drum today, and a smaller one too, from the contact you sent me. Thanks! They will look for a lid for the big drum for me as more drums come in, seems someone cleaned up last week! So, when I get a lid, I'm ready to roll... except I need to find my cold chisel and punch some air vents in the lower edge of the big drum. Ta Da!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6444634

well i had a post and it went poof !!! grrrr
good to know on the hardnecks.
neat gadget for the plants ,
darius i got Lorz Italian garlic and i think i may need more LOL to addicting.
i also got a book on drying foods called " Food dehydrating with an attitude " hope its a good one , its on back order :(
well not much else here
rain and hail today off and on
Ric how are them sniffles
Bonnie how are you feeling ?
GW how is the healing coming along ?
Chelle i bet that little guy is bigger ? we could use a pic hint hint ? :) how is the job coming along ?
Marcy did you get outside at all today or did you get rain all day like we did ?
Toni you sure sound busy , how are your gardening coming along ? any new tomatos seeds you got ?
msrobin how is the gym coming along ? got them muscles built up like Arnold Shwartzneger ? yet ? you go girl
Geo if your lurking we miss you :( big ((())))) to you .
hugs to everyone
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6444640

Darius, Dave picked up some drums over the weekend! Someone on Craig's list was giving them away. We're intrigued by the charring idea :-)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6444648

Sue, I wanna get in on the garlic growing this fall too. I'm pretty good with bulb plants and Lilies, so I'm going to treat them similarly. Did you look at the selection from Seed Savers? Hard to pick!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6444883

Jules the one I'm looking for is 'Red Start'.
Green leaves, no or few splashes of white.
Red/Coral flowers.
Yours I think is a Spilt Milk hybrid from the sound of it.

Glad I could help Darius!
Fire up that puppy!

Still a bit of a chest cold but feeling MUCH better.

We've had bands of sometimes heavy rain all day.
Then this...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6444894

Hey Sue...nope...too cold and wet out there for me today! I hibernated! Made a big pot of vegetable soup! One more day of this nasty stuff they are saying...then we improve...yayyy!!! I'm ready!!

Edited to say..ahhh I see you got the hail too Ric! We had some of that!
And glad your cold is a bit better!

This message was edited Apr 21, 2009 9:07 PM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6444981

I don't think I have checked in today. I cleaned the house because I am having the Bible Study group here tomorrow night, then on Thursday company for supper. I had thought I would go to the garden shed and pot up some tomato babies, but ran out of energy before I got to it. So maybe tomorrow afternoon, after I get the grocery shopping done.

We have had rain on and off all day, with some hail, and I saw snow flakes at one time, so the weather liars are saying that beginning tomorrow it is warming up, and temperatures will be 70-80 by the weekend.

I have planted garlic in the spring, and it did okay. I have also planted in the fall, and it may be that it grew a little bigger, but in my zone, I don't see much difference in it. I think the soft necks do better for me. Sue I would be interested in making the garlic powder, if your method turns out to be a good one. Last year, I just chopped mine, and froze it in an ice cube tray,with a bit of olive oil, and when I need garlic, just dig out the ziplock bag, and take out what I need. It seems to have worked well.

Will be MIA again tomorrow until about this time, with the shopping and the group here.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6445313

Bonnie i got a book about it . Dry , them in chip form , them make powder. Should be excellent ! i will keep you posted .
Neal it is hard to choose wich one ! ack . :0
Ric good to hear your feeling better. We got hail too. yours looks bigger than ours . ?
Marcy i don't blame you LOL i made beef and kraut soup in the slow cooker. yumo. didn't add beer :( on a low carb diet . :P but it is still good.
off to bed
good night
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6446381

Hi Guys!

Just a quick check in. I'm on the clock.

Craig's surgery is tomorrow at 11:30. They say it will take 60-90 minutes, then about 2-3 hours for recovery time. If all goes well and they can get it laprascopically and he can drink and walk after wards, he can go home.

Sorry I didn't read everything. I've been busy but thinking about you. :)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 22, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6446388

It's cold here, too--I made potato leek soup, and covered some of my plants with row cover, it's supposed to SNOW here today. SNOW.

All of my seedlings that I'm starting indoors are starting to sprout, I'm terribly excited. I love watching them sprout from the soil bent over, and straighten out to face the light. My cats love it, too--they stole some of the tags on the tray of peppers, so I will have to wait till they produce to see which are which!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6446535

Chele--- Wishing Craig a speedy exit from the hospital!! Will keep you guys in my T &P's. Lou
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6446851

Chele, T&Ps for Craig.

Bonnie, don't overdo it for your company. They come to see you, not how clean your house is. Love your way of doing the garlic/olive oil in ice trays. I do extra eggs in mine to freeze, great for baking with later, or scrambles eggs.

Ric, glad your cold is better. You and everyone else though need to watch that these colds and allergy attacks don't blossom into pnuemonia, as it did with me and DH. I've been battling it for 2 months now.

To everyone else, hope all is well with you. Whether we have met in person or not, you are all my friends and I love reading what you post!

Praying for sunshine and warm temps soon for you!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6446942

Snow ? HMm i didn't see anything on snow today here in OH ? wow i sure hope you don't get any snow over there . yikes
i love to watch my seedlings sprout too, :)
i got my chicken in the slow cooker with salsa verde and beans cooking. I hope it works out and is tasty. ? i marinated the chicken in the salsa with orange juice and cumin overnight , browned it, then put in a new jar of salsa verde and some beans ( pinto) .
hmmm sunny here and i need a shower
later
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6447179

Good Morning... Looks to be clearing here but the forecast shows the rest of the rain coming later... BUT THEN TOMORROW... sunny, high 70's and up to 80 by Saturday! Hooray!

Chele, sending good healing thoughts for Craig's surgery.

My order of chokecherries came yesterday. They were fairly cheap, and I expected small whips. Well, they are 4 feet tall, with good roots! I mainly got them for the birds, hoping they will leave my other fruits alone. But I sure don't need as many as I got!

My other big surprise is that I'm getting a 3 gallon weeping river birch at the SARU! It will be a perfect focal point in my one large flower bed. I have a huge white rock out by the barn that I want to get moved to that bed first, then plant the tree next to it. It will take 3 men to move the rock unless I can find someone who has a machine with a big bucket that can get across the bridge... It's too heavy for 2 men to roll very far. It had been a support for the center beam in the barn but I replaced it with solid cement cap blocks for better stability.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6447445

Good morning everyone!
Well..the sun is shining here...but cold...and supposed to not get above 54* today...but like Darius said...look out tomorrow!!!!! Near 70* and then on to the 80's*...woohooo!!
Looks like a WONDERFUL weekend coming!
My gkids are coming this weekend...so I am gonna put them to work...lol!! Heck..they ought to be good for picking up sticks and debris...don'cha think? Plus...wear them out so they sleep good!! LOL...they always do anyway. They are so good when they come here...without mom and dad around!
Going to get this house cleaned up today...and leftover veggie soup for supper tonight..so don't have to cook today! Not that I mind cooking...I don't. I love to cook.
It shows too...LOL.
Chele...wishing Craig a speedy recovery! I just know he will feel so much better after!
Huggs to you both...and to the whole family!
Wow Darius...sounds like that is a nice size river birch! I have 3 of them...and let me tell you...they grow so very fast! I love them! They are so attractive!
HI Sue, Celene, Lou, MsRobin, Bonnie,and everyone else too!!! I hope you all have a wonderful day!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6447553

If we had a place for it, I'd love a river birch. They are beautiful in every season. Well, all trees are to me, but these especially.

Healing's coming along, just not as fast as I'd wish. The swallowing issues continue and I tire more easily than I'd like, but I'm glad not to have much pain.

That watering gizmo the Botanicall sounds neat. I won't be getting any, but I think I'll blog about it since it's a synthesis of geek and gardener, perfect for my blog. ;) Tell you what I'd love is six or eight of those blown glass watering spikes for my containers. I wish they weren't so expensive, because they sure are pretty and it would be nice to leave them to do their thing.

Chele, I'm praying for Craig's surgery to go smoothly and for him to recover well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6447637

March, are yours the weeping river birch, or regular? I wanted to plant 3 regular river birch for my mother when she lived in Boone, but she found a steal on 3 white birch... which promptly all died, and no nursery warranty because of the deal. Some of those would look wonderful along my creek bank. The other side has several huge weeping willows.

Kimberly, did you find the Botanicall online? If not, here's a link. http://www2.botanicalls.com/?page_id=23
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6447657

Just a quick pop-in.

Wanted to tell Darius to be careful with the hostas you got at the big box store. There is a hosta virus and the big box stores are getting a lot of them in. They will wipe out all your hostas if it gets in your garden. Check out the hosta forum for more info!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6447740

Thanks. It isn't anywhere near any of my other (few) hostas, but in a separate bed 50 feet away. I will check it out, though.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6447745

Good!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6447818

Just want to comment to GW...Kimberly, the Dollar General has those glass watering spikes pretty cheap. Several colors, and looks just like the ones on tv.

Hi, Darius, Marcy and Joyce!

Toni, you sure ain't posting much...what's keeping you so busy?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6447822

umm where did the sun go ?
anyone here in Dayton a guy who took a bob cat and smashed a store and stole cigerettes ! sheeesh .
just tried my chicken salsa verde in the slow cooker and it pretty darn good. It needs cilantro but i refuse to buy herbs in the store for the price they ask !!!!! sheesh. But i might cave in and get some cuz i m desperate LOL
have a great day
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6447827

I've seen the glass watering thingys at Walmart pretty cheap, too.

Joyce, I didn't readily see a thread about the virus over in hostas, so I dropped a note to my hosta friend.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6447844

Hey everybody.

Cold and really wet here but forecasted to be in the high 60's and 70's for a long while after today.

Chele keep us posted about Craig please.

Darius, If you need any hosta cuttings I am dividing this year cause most of mine haven't been divided in 3 years. I am thinking my Sum and Substance might be over a yard wide this year. I can ship you (or any family that needs some) a couple this fall and I have lots of hosta seed too that actually comes up true to type I got from my friend Jim the nursery dude.

Cookie thanks so much for putting me and Oprah up in case Dusty gets tied up. You are aces Sis. Now that that is settled with my plan A and B I can relax about the RU.

Lunch time for Toni. No clue what I am having.

Adios!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6447850

Work work work, MsRob! That and getting the kids moved across country.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6447873

Darius...mine are just the river birch. I haven't seen the weeping variety?
For myself... I'm not much into weeping type plants at all. I know lots of folks like them...it's just not my thing!
Like Kimberley said though, these river birch are a pretty tree in all seasons!
Taking a break here for a few...then got to get back at it!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6447885

Toni, I also will have room if you want to head a little farther south. We can then drive to the RU together.

Been to the grocery and did all the errands, and now am baking cookies for tonight, plus making some of the salsa/velveeta dip.

I don't have much shade to have the woodland flowers. but sure wish I did.

Need to do a few more things, to the house fold a load of laundry, and we are having sandwiches for supper, just about done for the day.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6447940

Bonnie...My plan for the RU is this: If Dusty is tied up, gonna crash with Cookie over Friday and would love to hang with you Saturday night! Thanks, Sweetie!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6447951

That's great Toni, will look forward to it. We do church on Sunday, and of course you are invited, very casual dress. Can't wait for Oprah and Mr. B to meet, might make an interesting breed Jackapoo.. Bwaaaa.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 3:17 PM
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6447963

Hehehe we will be in-laws!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6448081

darius - virus info is in the sticky thread at the top of the hosta forum..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/615405/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/697599/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/749664/
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6448200

My mom and dad have a weeping river birch planted in their yard. It's beautiful, but it's the wrong plant for the spot. Dad has to water the thing daily, or so he says. Mom and I have tried and tried (and tried) to convince him that it's better to water the garden deeply once a week than to water it just a little every day or two. It sure makes it a PITA when they go away for any length of time and their needy plants are clutching their throats and gasping waterrrrr...waterrrrrrr.... :/
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6448334

Thanks for the posts regarding the glass water spikes. I'll have to check those out. The cheapest I've seen is $6 for two, and for as many as I want, that is too much.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6448451

Here it is at Hosta Library

http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6448523

GW, you probably know this already, but shallow watering causes the roots to grow closer to the surface, which is terrible for trees.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6449138

Thanks for the links on HVX. My friend sent me to Hallson's forums where I got the full run-down. I'm glad I had accidentally isolated my new 2 hostas; all the rest are fine and I will watch the new ones closely.

Toni, IF you have a blue hosta, I'd love a division. I just adore the blues! That's about all I have room for until I get my shade garden built next year
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6449997

Treat the HVX ruthlessly but don't panic too much.
We have dozens of very closely spaced Hosta and had one plant in the ground for a year before I noticed the symptoms.
Popped it out trashed it... seen no signs in 3 years.

Just be careful w/ your tools after working the Hosta.
Sterilize like w/ Orchids if you divide them.

It's not the Big Box stores that are the problem it's Tissue Culturing the Hosta that introduced the problem.
ALL TC Hosta from any source 'can' be a problem.
But as you can see from the forums finding infected ones can be a hard ID.
Buy cheap Hosta and I can guarantee you they are TC.

Buy from a good breeder and you WILL pay dearly...
but you help them stay in business and help your peace of mind.

Ric
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6451238

Happy Birthday Jazz! Hope you're lurking out there!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6451258

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear Laura, Happy Birthday to you!!! ♫♫♫

Get yous butt back here! :-)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6451372

Happy birthday to our Jazz. Hope it is a great one for you.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6451726

I just ran across an interesting web site, the Heritage Garden at the Ohio governor's mansion.
http://www.governorsresidence.ohio.gov/garden/gardenhistory.aspx

There is a virtual tour, database incl. photos of what's planted, physiographic regions of Ohio, sources of native plants and seeds... http://www.governorsresidence.ohio.gov/garden/gardenmaps.aspx

Also, I posted this in your forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979039/
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6451937

Darius I have a Mouse Ears from last year and another huge blue one from 2004 but I cant find the tag out there. It's really pretty and VERY large and coming up now with about 9 or 10 horns sticking up.

I'll be glad to send you part of both in the fall.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6452141

That's great, Toni :) I'll pay postage.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6452201

Happy birthday Laura!!! Glad it's you and not me!!! LOL.
Hi everyone! I'm flying through today. Heading out to have lunch with a friend, and then onto some nurseries around the area. Should be a fun afternoon..if I don't spend too much!!
Have a good one all!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6452360

Happy Birthday, Jazz!

Here's a photo of my lilacs, first time they have bloomed since I moved here. Pauletta is getting some at the RU from me...

Thumbnail by darius

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6452454

Jazz HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6452491

Ok, just a few puppy pics. I had just fed them and the sun was calling their name! I will get more when they are active and not full as ticks.
Grey girl

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6452496

Grey girl fell over.

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6452501

Leave me alone!

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6452504

Red girl

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6452512

LOL, Geo... puppies are like babies... they are ALL cute!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6452523

This is why I have to get my animals fixed. The one on the left is a tiny little girl named Minnie. You already know we are keeping her. There was a total of 5 and only one boy. He is twice the size of the girls and wooly. He also looks to have blue eyes. He would not even come out of the dog house for a pic.

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6452672

Thanks you guys for the birthday wishes.. I know I have been incommunicado but I do try to at least come and read so I don't get too far behind. :) Yes "today is my birthday and it's a biggie" SO I was going to skip it. But its a war between the kid in me tat likes birthday wishes and the other person who is thinking Whoa... how'd I get that old? Ah I know it beats the alternative.. lol..

Heading to work now. got to stop at a store on the way..DH got me a bracelet and it has the Clasp from H* I am going to see if I can swap it.. Hate to do that to him but I can't get the darn thing on! lol
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6452747

erhmmm...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

The delegation from NEOHIO
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6453356

George!!!! That Little Red Girl has Sue Taynors Name on it...

Happy Birthday Jazzy Laura...You sure are missed around here...

62 glorious degrees and brilliant sunshine...Been in the paint and the muddy dirt all day...LOVE IT!!!

I hung my wrought irons on hooks from under the eave for this year... gonna use them for several things that need trellis that I don't have... Halfway there...both in painting and getting the bed leveled out...
See my beautiful gutter and downspout??? Yesssss!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6453596

Ooooh...nice looking trellis' Dusty!! And gutter!!! LOL! Looks like things are coming together there!
Back from my jaunt with Martha! We went to Stockslager's in New Lebanon. I think I was had! We were supposed to go to two nurseries in Richmond..ok? After we had lunch at MCL. Well..while she was here, she was telling Dave she wanted to go to Stockslager's. So Dave..being the nice guy he is...lol...says...well sure...Marcy can take you there!! Soooooo...after lunch..that's where we went!
Turns out, she had asked her hubby yesterday to take her there...after being at two other nurseries...and he wouldn't! Enter...Marcy!! LOL LOL!!
I still think they are one of the highest priced nurseries around! But I did get a dragon wing begoia basket...to take starts from for my window boxes...and got my rocket snaps too...so can't complain. And it was a fun day! Martha is always fun to be with.
Ok...I smell my chicken...better go see what is happening!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6453792

Happy Birthday, Jazz!

Marcy, yeah on the plants!

Dusty, looking good! :)

Hope all of you had some beautiful weather today!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6454312

Whooo, am I ever draggin' my rear end... Been standing all afternoon in the kitchen, making 4 batches of biscotti for the Southern Appalachian RU next weekend. Each batch goes in the oven 3 times, so it's quite time-consuming for the small resulting stack of biscotti. Just took the last batch out, only have to clean-up after my back stops hurting. I must stand wrong or something... same thing happens when I'm canning.

Marcy, for all the workout my mixer got, I didn't get to try my new blade. I was just whipping eggs/sugar, the rest is a minimum of hand mixing, more like stirring to incorporate everything.

When I went into the pantry to get supplies, I found a mouse in one of the traps... which hasn't even been baited for 3-4 weeks. No, the mouse hadn't been there long, at most just overnight. I keep that door open now that it's warmer, and all 3 cats are in and out of there all day. Mouse doesn't stand much of a chance...

Porch looks nice, Dusty. I like the iron work too.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6454504

Oh, Darius, I have heard such wonderful things about your Biscotti!

FYI, keeping one foot propped up on a stool while standing in one place for extended periods of time takes a tremendous amount of strain off your back. Just alternate your feet as needed. Learned that when I was pregnant grocery cashier. Many, many moons ago!
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6454528

Dusty I am super jealous of your wrought iron...is there a story to where you found/got it?

Question: I bought a multi plant pot at Sam's...mainly because it had six of the herbs + a tomato plant that I have on my list to buy and the whole thing was $10! Can I go ahead and re-pot all the herbs and tomato plant or should I give it some time to adjust? They are very small and won't grow in the pot they are in!

Happy Birthday Jazz!

http://www.zingerbug.com/Comments/HappyBirthday/birthday_candles.gif

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6454722

Quick note and I have to scoot.
Wally World has 10" hanging baskets 12 bucks... vining geraniums (5/pot) , gerbera daisy's etc.
And HUGE Mandevilla Vines... at least 6 stems 3' long or so...18 bucks.
VERY well grown.

Ric
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6454949

Happy birthday Jazz -- hope you see your well wishes here!

For those of you who are interested, here is a link to a thread over on the Pets forum about the new dog I adopted a few days ago.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979367/

Cannot believe a weeks vacation is almost over.

Going to take the puppy out, then head to bed!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6454971

Chele, how did Craig's surgery go? I've been thinking about you guys today, just haven't gotten on DG until now.

Happy birthday, Jazz!

George, what breed is the mamma? Is she big or small? I wonder how big these puppies will get...Hmmmmm. You say there are plenty of little girls, too. Hmmmmm.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6454990

Henygirl, I would go ahead and repot all the goodies in the basket, and then they will be able to develop their roots in their new pots before the weather gets much warmer. Mixed baskets most usually are a pain, in that they put together things that have different food/water and sun requirements. Better that they be separated now.

Been a busy day today, I pressure washed the front porch and side walk which are exposed aggragate and needs to be treated every year, did some errands, did prep for supper, and potted up about 150 tomato seedlings. Had guest for dinner, and children, I am pooped.

Have a Dr appointment in the morning, and then will pot up some more tomatoes when I get home. Then DGD is coming tomorrow afternoon, and I have a cemetery board meeting tomorrow night. So another busy, busy day.

Sleep well, and I will check in tomorrow as I am able.
valrita

April 24, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6455073

Happy birthday, Jazz! Hope you're having a great day!

A flower for your special day

Thumbnail by valrita

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #6455410

Neal, the momma is a smallest(prob 20 lb) beagle mix. She is really sweet. I don't look for these little girls to get much more than normal beagle size judging by the paws. She gave out on milk at about 4 weeks and they are eating wet and even now small dry food. They are spoiled rotten and have lived outside since birth.
Geo
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6455497

Heny...
Those 4x8 pieces were in a pile of scrap from a guy who did remodels in Florida...We had a jaccuzi tub in the back yard, and I wanted to use them for my Mandevilla vines on a corner of the tub for screening...I asked the guy about them, and he said I could have them...FREE...I had a small 280ZX and no way to haul them...I paid him $10 to deliver...That was 6 years ago, and they have made every move I have in the interim...Hubby keeps trying to ditch them, and I won't have it...LOL
About 4 months after I got them, I was in an antique store down there in FL, and there were 2 of them there...I got really excited to see an exact match, thinking I would have 4 of them..They wern't marked in price, and when I inquired, I was told $175...EACH...
Needless to say, mine are priceless to me...LOL

I have to say, when I suggested where I wanted to put them last evening, it didn't take him 30 minutes to get the hooks mounted and help me hang them...Maybe after 6 years they are growing on him...LOL

Thanks Marcy and Darius...I got the bottom boards under the trellis and one of the posts painted after supper...My wrist gave out, so I quit for the day...;-P

Bro Bill came over with my last bucket of rocks, and he loved the porch...He said he will get over here PDQ and get the new ceiling put up on it...He already has the preprimed wood for it ...I'm waiting till they get that done to paint the floor...That will be last so it doesn't get scraped up with ladders etc...
He said he and Tony will be here either tomorrow or Saturday with the sod cutter and clear out the garden area behind my rock pit...and then do the area between the berm and lower garden so I can incorporate the two of them...Once they get the sod out, he will plow them up, and bring some more black gold and till it in for me...;-)))))
That is going to make the Veterans garden even better!!!
The Yellow Stella d'Oro lilies on the berm will become my Yellow Ribbons!!! More sunny area for the lilies...YAYYYYY!!! Just in time for the new ones that are coming...
I still can't believe so many lily growers are being so generous to make this garden happen...Thanks to Juli... ;-)))

It will be just beautiful when I get the pergola built for the swing down there...One day at a time... ;-)

I will take lots of Pics of the during and after and get them posted on my Picassa soon...

Michele...I hope all went well with Craig today, and he is home and feeling terrific already...Been there done that...

Only good thoughts for the Doc Bons...and dig down in your bra for your *pin money* like Granny used to do and get that $100 out and have that GH delivered...Your Mothers Day prezzie to yourself...;-)

Have a wonderful Friday all...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2009
8:45 AM

Post #6455679

Dusty, I'm going to miss the RU, so guess I'll have to make a special trip up there this summer to see your beautiful gardens and all of your wonderful projects!

I agree about the GH, Bonnie! You will never regret getting one to go with your beautiful potting shed! Keep us posted after the Drs visit.

Chele, you need to let us know how Craig's surgery went! How's your job going? I am so envious...I would love to be able to have a job like that, so I would know I had at least some steady income at home, while I pursued other ventures from home.

Marcy, you cake sounds awesome!

Darius, how is your back this evening? Well, I guess it's now morning.

Ric, those baskets sound beautiful and the price is sure right!

GW, I hope you are starting to feel better more often these days!

Sue, whazzup? You been pretty quiet today.

Neal, George, Heny, Velnita, Toni...it's always nice to see you all popping by!

(((Huggs to you all))) Praying for blue skys and bright sunshine in your neck of the woods!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6455871

Happy Birthday Pauletta!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6455943

Happy Birthday Paulette

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6455979

Happy birthday Jazz and Paulette
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6456020

Craig is home and doing well. It ended up being a 12 hour day and I think we all passed out when we got home. The surgery was fairly quick and easy but they were running about an hour and a half behind and no one told me which left me sitting out there worried because I thought it took 2.5 hours instead of the 60-90 minutes they told us it would take.

I only worked for an hour yesterday morning. My work email is way filled up, my desk is a mess and I haven't paid bills yet. Whoops. I have a lot to do today, then soccer practice tonight and a whole weekend full of games. Looks like I'll get a break next weekend. hahahaha

You all be well. I miss you.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 24, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6456111

Badseed, I'm so glad your husband is doing well! I can't imagine waiting that long and not knowing, you must be so relieved. It kinda makes the normal stuff, like a pile of stuff on your desk seem okay, eh?
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6456404

Happy birthday Paulette! And thanks for the additioal well wishes everyone :) I did have a good day and I decided to take today off!! woohoo three day weekend!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6456485

Happy Birthday, Pauletta!

I'm hobbling around today like an ancient old woman... Guess I'd better head outside and see if I can work some kinks out digging or something. LOTS of choices, however! LOL.

I ordered tomato seeds 2+ weeks ago. The company just called me, the pkg. was returned for a bad address. I had planned to start them tomorrow... Sigh.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6456848

Morning everyone!
A big happy birthday Pauletta!! Hope you have many,many more too!
It's a BEAUTIFUL day here!!! Already in the 70's...bright sunshine!! And where do I have to goooooo????? Grocery shopping...geezzzz.!!! Why DO we have to eat??
While we were eating supper last night, my friend, Martha, called. Wanted to know if she had left her groceries in the car! Dave went to look...sure enough!
We had stopped at our little grocery when we came home...because she needed some things for supper. When we got there...she informed me she had spent all her money on flowers...LOL!!! So I floated her a loan to get her stuff...and then she left it! Poor girl!
I thought I was bad! But we blamed Dave! He put the groceries on the back floor. If he had put them in the rear...where the flowers were...we would have seen them!
We told her we would run them over to her after supper...which we did. By the time we got back home...I was pooped.! Long day!
Chele...so glad Craig is doing well. Give him a hug from me.
MsRobin...so sorry you are going to miss the roundup. I was looking forward to meeting you!
Good to see you posting Jazz!
Ok...guess I better get moving here. Gkids come tomorrow...so things will be busy around here!
Have a great day everyone..and enjoy the sunshine and warmth!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6456928

Thank you, Marcy. I'm really sorry to miss it, too. Your fall RU was on the heels of the KYRU and I just didn't have the money for the extra trip, this past fall. But I am seriously going to try to head up north for a weekend this summer, so I can maybe meet several of you then.

Darius, sorry to hear about your seeds being delayed. Luckily it's still early enough to get them growing for this summer. Take care of yourself out there!

Chele, thanks for letting us know.

Celena, good to see you stopping by!

Happy Birthday, Paulette!

Glad to hear there's sunshine up your way.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6457003

Happy birthday, Paulette! :)

It's sunny here, too. I wonder what I could get away with doing in the yard.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6457090

GW, sit and enjoy! You're not healed enough to get into too much.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6457198

Happy Birthday Pauletta!

Chele tell Craig we're glad everything turned out so well!

Ric
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6457753

I just returned to work for attending our annual Administrative Assistant Dinner at Streamcliff Farms. Loved the food and the flowers! I would make a nice "day" trip for you guys. They make great wine, have loads of herbs and perennials, and good lunches.
Here's a link to them.

http://www.streamclifffarm.com
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6458109

It's just hard to enjoy when I see all the dead plant material from last year in need of being cleaned from the beds as new growth comes up...and all the thistle plants coming up and in need of weeding/spraying. Aaaagh. Howie does so much around here, I don't want to put one more thing on his plate. Guess it'll just have to wait.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6458640

Hmmm...

:::::In a really REALLY bad Stevie Wonder impersonation::::

Ms Paulette:

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthhhhhhdayyyyyyy!

Toni and Oprah (the one doing the bad impersonation of Stevie Wonder's seeing eye dog)

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6458891

ROFLLLLLLL Toni!!!!! you are a card woman!!! ;-))

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6458940

Good evening... :) gorgeous day, wasn't it??

I didn't do squat in the yard today after all... moved the barricade, backed up my truck to unload mulch, and that was all she wrote. Sigh. I have SO much to do before next weekend's RU. Plants that will DIE if I don't get the darned things planted, mostly...

Chele, glad to hear all went well with Craig's surgery, even if they frightened you by not keeping you informed about the delay. Our thoughts can sure run amok, can't they?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6459561

I think this is my first check in today, it was a busy one, but seems like I got nothing accomplished. I had a Dr appointment, and by the time I got meds filled and home it was 1:00, and while I was gone had a delivery of 20 plant plugs which needed to be potted up. Had to take DH's brother to the grocery, and I picked up a desk that I had bought, and when I got home, it was time to cook some supper. Ate, cleaned the kitchen, and then had a board meeting to go to, home, DS and his SO other were here when we got back, and they just left. I hate days like this. Tomorrow, there is a garden club plant sale that I plan to attend and then, I have about another 100 tomato seeds that need to be repotted. At least I will get a bit accomplished.

Chele glad to hear that Craig is home and doing well. I hate that they can't let you know that the surgery was delayed, instead of letting you sit there and worry about what is taking so long.

Need to check some other threads, and then I am off to bed.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6459644

Such a gorgeous day, & I spent it killing columbine sawflies-- again. They hit hard last year, but I was on the lookout this spring, & had treated for them once--- but then we had 3 days of rain & chill. When I got out th ere today 5 plants were skeletonized and all the others in that bed were showing signs of infestation. I wonder if I'm going to have to remove them all? I LOVE columbines, & have them in almost all my flower beds. WAH!
Plus they were also moving over to taste my heuchera! @*^$(@*& pirates!

Have a guy coming over tomorrow to help me get the rest of oak leaves onto the mulch pile, & then to stake out, & maybe start tilling for the veg garden.

Has anyone else gotten addicted to sporcle? I know it sounds like some sort of spackle or some special variety of goetta, but it's got tons of timed games on all sorts of subjects. I thought I was fairly good at geography---- hah! Or take the most often used words in the English language. Sometimes their spelling makes me ticked off-- but it's so much fun. And it's brain exercise!
http://www.sporcle.com

Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6459672

Pat, how do you treat for the columbine sawflies? I have many, and now will be going out to check them to see if there is any damage. Do they completely defoliate the plants?
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6459742

Its been a long day but a good one.
THANKS EVERYONE for the birthday wishes.

HAHAHA Toni

5 of Denzil's sisters
and my kids
had me a cookout last weekend
to celebrate my birthday.
One sister was from Belfontaine
The other from Urbana

Hubby got me a troybilt roto tiller
4 cycle engine
I Love it!!!
And 2 knockout roses..Yeah.

Happy Birthday back at ya Jazz
~~~~~~~~~~~~ TO ALL!!!
Pauletta

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6459750

Paulette, you will love that tiller. And, the knock out roses.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 25, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6461110

Isn't it funny? Other women want jewelry, I was thrilled to get a Mantis for an anniversary present. LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6461140

Yeah, ain't it the truth... I'd take a pile of horse manure any day over glitz and embroidered handkies!

I've been to the Farmer's Market for eggs and grocery store for milk already. Thawing some trout for dinner, and going to pick and steam some fresh asparagus. This is the third year for them, so I can pick all I want!

NOW, it's time to put on shorts and finally do some garden work!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6461179

Yeah, Darius! Get to enjoy the fruits of your labor! (asparagus)

LOL! DH likes to buy me a nice piece of jewelry or wants to take me out for new clothes. I have to be very careful about not hurting his feelings, when I tell him I'd rather buy tools, plants, farm animals, etc.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6461241

Back from the garden club plant sale, and only bought 4 plants. Heading out now to get them in the ground. Put a fresh pork shoulder in the oven just a bit ago, gonna have pulled pork bbq sandwiches tomorrow for lunch.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6461303

Bonnie, that was sure quick! What plants did you buy? Oh, BBQ pork sandwiches sound sooo good!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6461378

Robin I bought a black pussy willow, a columbine, poppy and purple cone flower. And I have them all in the ground.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6461389

I've never heard of a Black Pussy Willow...sounds interesting!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6461783

Bonnie,
Here's a picture of both the sawflies and their damage.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843252/

They're hard to spot at first because they're almost exactly the color of the leaf, and they usually hide out on the underside of the leaf or the very edge.

As for treatment, I'm not a very good s ource, since mine are back with a vengeance. I had been treating with a spray recommended for sawflies, mites & something else. YEsterday I just started squishing them by hand. I need to read up more on the life cycle and see if I can't interupt them before they get to chewing up all the leaves.
Pat
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6462013

Dumb question here
(is or are) saw flies and leaf miners the same thing?
And if you have leaf miners one year will they be there the next year
Aaaannndddd do you think soapy water would get rid of them

OOOPPPSSS think that was more than one question LOL

Pauletta
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6462426

good questions Paulette, I think I thought the same thing, was probably wanting someone else to ask the questions.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6462429

Uggghhh, WHY did I ever think I can still work in the garden at my age??? I'm in for a break. I'm not finished but I think my body is...

I did get lots done, it just doesn't look like it. Started some tomato seeds (old seeds), planted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, 3 kinds of peas... mixed 2 wheelbarrows of some lower-pH soil stuff to put in big pots for 3 blueberries, and finally planted them. They have been sitting in compost for 3+ weeks! You'd think there would be some kind of an organic wetting agent for peat. I HATE trying to wet down a bunch of it, esp. when it's windy like today.

I need to get horizontal, maybe the spasms will stop. I'll probably fall asleep the minute I stretch out... I'm not even sleepy, it just happens, LOL.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6462476

Good Afternoon!

Darius, I know you have a list a mile long of things you want to get done...it WILL all come together without you pushing yourself too hard! Put your feet up and enjoy your break!

Al has been asleep on the couch most of the day, so I was able to slip out back and do a little bit of gardening myself. It is a beautuful, almost balmy day out there. I am so glad I was able to get the little garden area and a make-shift potting bench set up for me last week. I got a short row of green beans planted, set up 3 large containers of sugar snap peas, plus seeded a few cups each of flowers, mesclun mix, kale and some yellow cherry-type tomatoes. Potted up some cuttings of Japanese Maple and Azaleas, too. Sure feels good to feel like doing something! Better yet, sure feels good to feel like I'm going to survive! LOL!

Dusty, how's your big project of the day going?
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6462788

Defoe hopefully somebody will know
I think (thats dangerous) that last year that Ric told me that
what I had was leaf miners,
they leave little road maps in the leaves
I love my columbines
They (the seeds) come from weezingreens in alaska
They self sow.
I will pot up some for the round up.

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6462884

Re: the columbine bugs---
My usual method of classifying bugs is "Yucky" or "eeehhheewwww." I did google to see if there was any difference & here's what I found:
Columbine sawfly is called pristophora aquiligea whereas leaf miners belong to the phytomyza class. The sawfly damage is characterized by very rapid skeletonization of the plant--- the leaves are gone but the stems remain.
Last year I was advised to remove the foliage of any infected plant & spray with soapy stuff. My columbines came back beautifully, but the sawflies came back, too. I'm going to look into a soil treatment & see if I can get to them before they get to the hungry, hungry caterpillar stage.
Pat
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6462917

Looks like time to move on...

Dropping brownie crumbs here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/980210/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America