Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Do All Vegetables Need 'Full Sun' ?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #6422728

I'm asking because here in my community, you are not allowed to grow veggies and crops in view of the street, so that leaves the sides of my house out which are perfect for full sun planting. So I am limited to my tiny back yard which has become a 'Potager' type garden.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6424037

cue-chick - I'm going to give you a one-word answer "yes." Lettuce and some herbs do well in partial shade. From what I have read, vegetable need at least six hours of full sun, although I don't think it needs to be a continuous six hours.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6424099

As Honeybee said, the basic answer is "yes". However, there are exceptions to the rule. For example, I live in Phoenix, in the desert. In the desert, 6-8 hours of full sun will fry anything but the most hardy native plants. Here full sun pretty much means partial shade - lol. My garden is covered with a shade structure throughout the summer months. Looks like we might hit 100 as early as next week. If that becomes the norm, the shade will go up and stay up until it comes down for my late summer/fall garden.That sun at high noon and the afternoon sun is a killer here. Without shade, my garden would be burnt to a crisp. So the answer to your question really depends on more than one factor. I know you are in a similar zone to Phoenix, but I also know your weather is a lot more humid than mine - lol - I grew up on the East coast. Check out your yard (where you plan to plant) at various times of the day to get an idea of where the sun does fall and when. Keep in mind, though, that where the sun falls and when will vary by season (ie: the summer sun and winter sun hit your yard at different angles). Once you have an idea you can always experiment with different crops to see what works for you. That is half the fun of gardening!! Good luck!! Kelly
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6424160

thanks for the info! tho i already have quite a few veggies in the back, planted in full sun areas, was just wondering what might possibly grow just outside of those areas, but, I'll keep to what I have for now and see how those do!
Wulfsden
Riverdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6429575

Veggies where you eat the leaves, like lettuce, usually do okay in partial shade. If they do not get enough sun, it makes the leaves bigger, which is perfect, right. You can also grow plants in full summer that would bolt if they got full sun, like lettuce or perhaps cilantro.

Root crops, like radish and turnips, do less well in partial shade. They get too leafy, and the crop suffers.

Most fruit crops, like tomatoes, peppers and zucchini, need the sun.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6432171

If you are planning to grow cucumbers, they appreciate a little shade since they lose water through their leaves. I like to give mine morning sun and protect them from the hot afternoon sun.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America