Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doubleduty
Magnolia, TX

April 17, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6424936

I need to know the name so that I can determine what I am doing wrong lol! I have tried keeping it indoors and outdoors, lots of light, indirect light, and moderate light! I recently learned that my lemon tree did not like the potting soil that I was using and wanted a better draining soil. I think that may be the same problem with this plant. If someone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thumbnail by doubleduty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6424942

I believe you have a dieffenbacchia.
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6424983

Yes, A Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane. Called this because if the juice gets on your toungue, it will numb it.
Looks like you have it in a pretty pot, but does it have drainage holes in the bottom?? The soil looks too moist to me. If not, you might pot it up in a smaller pot that will drain and set that pot inside your fancy one. Put a few pieces of gravel or about and inch of Perlite under the one inside for circulation.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

April 17, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6425008

Yes, probably Dieffenbachia, maybe Aglaonema. Can you show a focused close-up of the leaves; a cultivar could be ID.
The plant should be in a peat based potting medium, with added perlite or volcanic cinder. It likes to get wet, but needs good drainage!
PlantGirl1982
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2009
6:02 AM

Post #6426921

Dieffenbachia. Dont keep too wet. Use a potting soil in general for most potted plants that is mostly peat, with vermiculite and limestone for pH adjustment. It will drain well yet retain some moisture. Any quality soilless potting mix would be that kind of mix. Also, always use pots that have drainage holes in the bottom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America