Photo by Melody

Self-contained Box Gardens: Anyone have any ideas what is visiting these toms?

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 14, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2busygardening
Dade City, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6425990

All of a sudden I have noticed that several of my plants have curling leaves. They are doing great, with this exception.

Forgive me in advance for putting it here, but I hang around in here more often. What if I say that the raised box is a container?

Thumbnail by 2busygardening
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6426131

My tomatoes do that on occasion but it's mainly my peppers that do that. Sounds like Aphids and/or whiteflies. It's likely a sucking bug. Check underneath each and every leaf. I'm battling them once again as we speak. :(
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6426172

might be a sign of Curly Leaf virus...any other symptoms? Check out this thread:

Classic Threads: Tomatoes: Leaves Curling
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/57947/

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6426229

Nah, it's not CLV Karen. It usually affects new leaves as well. That disease looks a lot worse than the pic shows even in early stage. From the pic that was posted I would say no way it's a disease. Looks like sucking bug damage.
2busygardening
Dade City, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6426310

either way, would Ortho Disease control be enough or not. I also have lace worms that I am fighting, I have to figure out what to spray on them too. I put this on two weeks ago, it worked, but their back right away so I think I need something for BUGS. Any ideas?

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6426379

WOW! Never heard of a Lace worm. None out here but they sound annoying. If it worked 2 weeks ago, spray again. I would be ecstatic if I had no bugs from one spraying.

Ortho products are pretty decent.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 18, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6426449

I plan to use Fertilome Triple Action plus, it works as an insecticide, miticide and fungicide all three in one application. You mix it with water and spray both sides of the leaves with it, it has neem oil in it and is organic and can be used up to the day of harvest. Make sure you get both sides of the leaves and make sure you stay away from the blooms too, I haven't used it yet; as I haven't seen any bugs yet, I say yet, as in Florida we always got bugs of some sort. My wasps are flying around and haven't seen horned catepillars yet; and my bees and lizards and spiders are around also; but those are my good bugs.
2busygardening
Dade City, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #6426707

After doing some reading this evening (and frightening myself) I find that what I thought was lace worm, probably isn't. I will take their photo tomorrow and see what everyone thinks. It just eats the leaves like lace. but it's a worm, not a bug.

Also, is there any chance this curling leave could be thrips? that didn't sound so good.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 18, 2009
8:48 AM

Post #6427053

2 busy gardening: When I see bugs I pull out the sprays or dusts and start defending, that's really all you can do, other than pick them off, or hope they have a predator near by.
joy
TheMasterMoo
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6452999

If its aphids or something similar, then you could release a swarm of ladybugs into your garden, they like to eat em. (The ladybugs I mean.) You can buy some online at: http://www.growquest.com/free_ladybugs.htm That seems like the best way to get em other than insecticides.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6453994

That looks like what Joy has in another thread. I have that going on on my Aunt Gerdies Gold.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 23, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6453998

Garden Glory: So, what is it? Aphids? And if so, if you spray insecticide that has neem oil in and it has directions to spray every 7 -14 days, and it rains, then what? I sprayed it; but it has rained twice since spraying, should I wait 7 more days? I haven't seen any little bugs but how tiny are these things.
joy
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6455223

You can spray with liquid seaweed & molasses (1 T of each/gallon of water) if it's spider mites. You can do this weekly to improve health of your maters and it'll also enhance the flavor of your maters.

If you're too impatient to wait for the ladybugs to do their job, you can spray your plants with a dish soap-water mixture. On my flowers, I use a 1 part ammonia:9parts water formula, then add in a good squeeze of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap. Smells wonderfully and takes care of the aphids. Ammonia is rich in nitrogen, so I don't know that I'd spray it on my veggies.

joy112854
Crestview, FL

April 24, 2009
6:51 AM

Post #6455617

Stephanie: Thanks. It seems to be dissipating now, don't know if it's the triple action plus working now, or if it is because we haven't had rain for the day this week. I'm keeping a close eye right now. I read somewhere that the Bronner's Peppermint soap works really well on repeling aphids, they don't like the smell of it, and its the aphids that attract ants, I had to treat my artichoke plant for ants. I transplanted the lone surviving one into a new HE bucket yesterday, then planted 4 boxes of corn, 3 of cukes and 4 of okra. I also redid my hanging bloommaster, took it totally apart and mixed in some perlite, added some more schultz' fertilizer and then replanted fresh cuke startings in each hole again, did the same with the homemade bloommaster also. Now; I'm resting. Whew!
joy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6455892

When it gets a little lighter, Im going to take some pictures...the particular plant also has the biggest flowers Ive ever seen..and leaves. I dont know what has happened to it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 18 May 10, 2013 2:47 AM
My EB garden (and more) BocaBob 121 Dec 11, 2008 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America