AuthorContent

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6428357

This is the time of year I love. I have many varieties of daffodils that I grow each year and cut and sell to florists and individuals. This is my favorite. It is called Apricot Whirl. It has a white-frothed apricot pink corona that stands out against a base of ivory white petals. When fully mature, the delicate crinkled whorls lie flat to form a pinwheel around the yellow stamens. Just beautiful in the field and in bouquets. Enjoy..

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

April 19, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6429691

Hi JBerger, Thanks for sharing your Apricot Whirl with us, it's Beautiful!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6449731

Hey terri, I got a lot of dafs, but that is not one of them! Man that is gorgeous!

That is stunning J!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6451927

This one is called Flower Drift.

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6451940

One more for today called Sorbet.

Thumbnail by JBerger

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6454109

Ok, J, I am thoroughly jealous...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6456002

I just took a hike out in my garden and figured up that I need about 600 bulbs of ANY kind of daffs to finish up a project! I am edging out a huge bed. I pot about 5 bulbs to a nursery can then sink the can in the ground and it keeps the moles out.

Then I have another area I am naturalizing to which I need a bunch more

*beg*... any wayward daffs, send them my way!! I am a daff-oholic!

J, yours are gorgeous. I have tried a few of "color" like with pink or peaches, but for some reason I have better luck with the run of the mill colors in my swamp. Is there a reason why the others do not like the wet? My yellows, yellows with white, white, jonquils, mini's, peacock eyes and doubles all survive. Infact I have a couple that are right under my down spout and most sit in water much of the early spring, but any other color seems to go pffft! The doubles have an orange swirl in them, but I just cannot seem to get the pinks or peaches to grow. But then, I have only tried a few bulbs so maybe it was just a bad year for those to start. dont know.

My soil is pith poor sand, I dont fertilize them and they grow like crazy otherwise.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2009 6:05 AM

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6456388

I have spent thousands of dollars for bulbs and I buy hundreds offthe naturalizing.I get them on sale from Breck's as often as I can. They had a sale back in March I just spent another $300. At my age and the fact they require NO care in the field, if I manage to sell $100 or $200 bunches each spring, I am happy. I just put that towards some new bulbs.
Here is my very biggest one. It is called Fortissimo and the blooms get as big as saucers , about 6 inches. They were in full bloom this past week when the rains came and they are all turning brown and I am unable to sell them. I am just sick. Take a look at this It is so superior to most smaller blooms. Just a perfect flower.

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6456398

I also just had these coming in full bloom when the rains came and they are nice but not saleable. They will not last more than two days if cut. There are thousands of blooms still in the field I will not be able to harvest due to the rain this past week. Just great. I am so sad. I love sharing them with people and I love buying more with the money I get from them. LOL.

Here is this double beauty I was talking about. Golden Beauty.

Thumbnail by JBerger

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6467402

Your double is gorgeous..

So is that 6 incher.. I dont have anything that huge!
You probably have all my commonors!! LOL!

Here is a sample of doubles that just bloomed today. I have a yellow with an orange streak to it too.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6467576

Oh Blossom, that is a beauty. I closed my stand yesterday. The field is still full of blooms but they are not holding more than two to three days after cutting. That 3 days of rain and wind just did them in. I am sick about it but I would rather have them in the field than being cut and dying before they should. That is not good for my reputation. So, we do what we have to do. It is 90 deg/ here today and I stayed inside in the AC. LOL The GH was open and the fans on. still too hot in there. I will get back to work tomorrow. Keep those pretty pictures coming. JB
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6470803

Thanks JB. Its looking like rain again here.. but its balmy. No pics today.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6565506

Hey blossom are you around or on your way to Jersey??? JB those are fantastic, sorry to hear the rains did them in, but bet you get them back 10-fold next season.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6565743

Hi haighr, I have 24 summer daffodil bulbs showing now They are up about 5 inches and if the weather cooperates, which today is was down to 40 deg. during the night, I may have one pretty bunch for my house. LOL. I tried them this year but I am not sure I want to continue to plant summer ones until I see them bloom. I can't even imagine how they get a bulb to know when to bloom. JB
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6569325

Old Blossom is present and accounted for. My daffs are done. But I could post the prior shots here if you would like to see them here!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6569480

Sure BB, I love looking at pictures of daffies as well as others.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America