Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: This is Related to THAT?: Thanks for clearing that up (I think)

Communities > Forums > Article: This is Related to THAT?
bookmark
Forum: Article: This is Related to THAT?Replies: 4, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6431210

I'm glad to see some of the experts are also confused!!
Great article.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6433443

What an informative article, but I sure hope you don't give us a quiz on it.
Thank you.
azulverde
Cleveland, OH

April 20, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6438289

Your interesting article opened a question in my mind whether the plant kingdom is farther down the evolutionary process than the animal kingdom. While traveling through Louisiana, I saw a question in a welcome center about what plant is related to the Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides), an epiphyte often seen hanging from the branches of live oaks and cypresses in the south. I opened a small cover revealing the answer -- Pineapple (Ananas comosus). Both are members of the Bromeliaceae family. I tried to imagine what commonality they have to each other but failing that, the only subjective answer I could think of was that I like both of them. Thanks for writing!
leschats8
Cocoa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6438817

Great article! I've always enjoyed researching plant relationships; it's fascinating! I attempt to place related plants
together in my collection but, I run into the same problem; for example all euphorbias aren't succulents.

For azulverde; the common thread with Tillandsias and Ananas, and all bromeliads is that the mother plant dies after flowering and producing pups.
herbs501
Hallettsville, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6440035

I recently acquired a Jatropha berlandieri, a plant with a huge round caudex, related to the shrub Jatropha intergerrima and Jatropha multifida. The flowers are quite similar, but the shape and form of the plant are quite different. And, what a surprise when I show people the other Jatropha in the garden. For a picture of this plant, go to: http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Jatropha_berlandieri.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: This is Related to THAT? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very good onewish1 0 Apr 19, 2009 10:32 AM
well researched and informative LhasaLover 0 Apr 19, 2009 8:36 PM
disocactus surprise phfurballs 0 Apr 21, 2009 1:02 AM
thanks for the ID's dordee 1 Apr 22, 2009 3:47 AM
When is an onion NOT an onion? gardenmart 0 Jun 30, 2013 5:27 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America