sydney, Australia

Hey everyone,
i have this tree at the frontyard and i was just wondering what it could be? Is it australian? Someone told me its a macadamia tree, but it doesnt seem so. Thanks for all the help

Thumbnail by darshil
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I have no idea, but the leaves look like Oak Leaves.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

its a white oak

(Zone 6b)

It's definitely not a Macadamia. Despite the Oak like foliage, I'm quite certain it's not an Oak. Could you get a close up photo of the end buds and twig?

(Zone 6b)

I forgot to add, I'm quite sure it's a Breadfruit Tree (Artocarpus communis), but a closeup would seal the ID.

Barmera, Australia

Does the plant have milky sap? The wood reminds me of a fig.
Brian

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Looks like stenocarpus, Firewheel tree http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=stenocarpus&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

Yes I agree with Judy: Stenocarpus

barmera, Australia

Aren't you a lucky personDarshil to have one of those in your front yard. beautiful

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

If it is deciduous, it looks more like a Brachychiton (used to be called Sterculia) - probably B. acerifolia. This is the Australian Flame tree. It is covered with beautiful red flowers when adult before the leaves come out. It could also be the Stenocarpus but I think this is an evergreen. Unfortunately they take many, many years to come in to flower but are well worth waiting for.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

not a fig wront leaf still say its a white oak

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll put in another vote for Stenocarpus, I have one and the leaves look very much like mine. I also have Brachychiton acerifolius, and as the species name implies it has leaves that are somewhat maple-shaped so it's definitely not that one.

(Zone 6b)

It's not Brachychiton. While the leaf shape is somewhat similar, the leaves on Brachychiton acerifolia are quite hairy both on the top and bottom surfaces, while the photo seems to show glossy hairless (at least on the top) leaves. It's not an White Oak. The leaves are the wrong texture (too glossy, look thick and evergreen), and the leaf shape while similar looks different than White Oak and from what I can see of the bark, it's not correct either.

It looks like the plant in question is still young and so has vigorous juvenile leaves which will be somewhat different than their adult form(but not in texture). It definitely could be Stenocarpus Sinuatus, and I've also seen young Breadfruit Trees that have similar leaves. But I'll give the nod to the Aussies who think it's Stenocarpus Sinuatus since they're probably much more familiar with how it looks as a young plant than I am.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images