Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Nasturtium Garlands Honor Mrs. Gardner's Birthday!: How timely

Communities > Forums > Article: Nasturtium Garlands Honor Mrs. Gardner's Birthday!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Nasturtium Garlands Honor Mrs. Gardner's Birthday!Replies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HummingbirdHC
North Stonington, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6436754

Dear Carrie: My husband was on vacation last week. School's out! He took me on a day trip to Boston on Thursday and the only thing I wanted to see for my first time there was the Freedom Trail and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It was the most perfect day to go. The air was cool and crystal clear, but maintained a wonderful warmth for our stroll. We took the trail first and meandered through the wonderful cobbled streets of Boston. I saw the grave markers of such dignitaries as Samuel Adams, parents of Ben Franklin, and Mother Goose. My husband's favorite site was the Old Corner Bookstore where The Scarlet Letter, Walden, and Atlantic Monthly were all first published. He's a teacher remember? But our favorite site in Boston was the ISG Museum. We wandered through the halls and rooms enchanted with the art and furniture. Even the ceilings were gorgeous. But I was most enchanted by the garden. I could not imagine from a distance the hanging plants were nasturtiums. They couldn't be. I had to ask the guard, which were all informative and very friendly, what plant they were. To see them in person was such a treat. All the guard was able to tell me about the method of growing these wonderful vines was great care was taken with them. Well, that wasn't much information to impart, but your article filled in the gaps. Thank you Carrie for your wonderful article. To see them in person was a great treat, I suggest if anyone has the time to go see these plants and her wonderful courtyard, you wont be disappointed. The ground cover alone made me want to go roll around in it. They were lucky it was roped off. Emerald green carpet that just begged to have your feet walk through it with out shoes. Ok, I am getting off track here. If you are in Boston and have a few hours to spare, don't miss the courtyard. And the art too of course. It was a breath of fresh air after this long long long winter.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6437586

That's just how WE feel about it, which is why they have to rope off that luscious courtyard! The green ground cover is baby's tears and is in need of constant patching, I am told, and the cultivar of nasturtium is 'Gleam', should you want to try this at home, folks!

Hummingbird, your first time in Boston, really? But we're so close! Stay tuned for another article that will make you want to drive back up in May! And I hope you read about Frederick Law Olmsted! Thank you for reading .. are you coming to the NE Forum events scheduled this summer? And WELCOME TO DAVE'S GARDEN!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/353/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Nasturtium Garlands Honor Mrs. Gardner's Birthday! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Delightful! woofie 5 Apr 20, 2009 2:10 PM
All these years... Sharran 5 Apr 20, 2009 7:54 PM
Nice article phicks 1 Apr 14, 2009 8:51 PM
Miniature ISG garden gardenmart 2 Apr 15, 2011 1:52 AM
I.S.Gardeners museum Maria 1 Jul 18, 2011 6:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America