Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: This morning's photos

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6437217

Had a great weekend in the garden - got lots done including planting some very sad looking brugs in the ground! thought you might like to see some pictures.
Heather

Thumbnail by Heatherbelle
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6437221

here is my Peaches & Cream Brug which has been in the greenhouse - it is looking a bit better !

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6437235

I cleaned out my little pond and gave the fish their first feeding.

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6437251

This is a hellebore called "Ivory Prince" which I had resisted buying because I didn't really want a white flower but I ended up buying it anyway for the varigated foliage. Now I just love the colour of the flowers.

Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6437261

This is my favourite hellebore - I have no idea what the name is (or even if it has one !) but every year it gets bigger and has many blooms that last for months.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 20, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6437295

ah Heather - I hope my brug looks that tall, etc!

I have one I got a cutting of, and it's doing great inside, but we shall see what it does in Calgary's summer sun!
I'm going to plant it in a pot so I can bring it in, in the fall, and try to keep it going.
This is my first year for growing Brugs, but I've grown Daturas successfully 2 yrs ago, and not quite as successfully the 2nd year.

-Susan-
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6437304

Finally, these tulips were thrown into the ground last year and were a mixed bag of styles and colours that I had dug up from here and there in the garden. I'm liking how the different colours pop. Usually I grow all the same type in the one place but I might be changing this now !

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6440249

Heather
Thank you for giving us hope!
Looking at all your greenness I am a bit envious.
I did go out and double check my yard, everything is still brown here. I stirred up some leaves and there were a few tulips giving a good go at trying to grown in our climate!
Ann
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 21, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6440334

Great pics! Can't wait until we have the "green" look. Coming soon, the poplars are starting to get the fuzzies
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6443064

Looks like spring has finally arrived. We have 1500 daffodils blooming on Denman Island right now. Here we've got lots of bulbs, hellebores, fawn lilies etc. blooming.

The dead looking brug MAY come back from the root but it won't bloom until October. You're best to replace it. Which one is it? I'll see if I can help you.

Thumbnail by brugcrazy

MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6443417

Heather, you're garden looks lovely.

Jeanne, your pup almost looks afraid of those daffodils.

I'm loving this weather.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6444428

Heather , love those hellebore. Hope your brug start leafing out soon. Your summer are longer than ours and it should do well. Peaches and Cream is looking good. That's about how mine are looking right now, under lights.
All the Ys on my brugs had dried up over the winter. But a Frosty pink, has now Y'ed again, and should soon be giving me flowers.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 22, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6447732

Jeanne
A new puppy! How much fun you will have with him!
I'm looking forward to the bulbs to get out of the ground here too.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 22, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6448060

Our church garden has tulips, with the buds juuuuuuuuuust peeping through the leaves.
They also have bunnies, and they're eating away merrily at the tender leaves and buds...
Opinion please - God's creatures, or protect the church's flowers (cuz bunnies are nuisances)?

-Susan-
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6448204

Jeanne - thanks for the brug offer, I'll let you know. I think Ian is secretly glad a lot of them have died , he doesn't have to dig BIG holes in the ground for them !
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6452748

Your garden looks lovely and vigorous, Heather. We are a little behind this year in the Southern Interior. The magnolias are finally opening, as are the the rhodies. My Black Bart Columbine is growing leaps and bounds, should have flowers soon. My Hostas are coming to life as are the Daylilies and Echinacea. The deer ate back the first 6 inches of my Campanulas, but I put up 4 big tall trellis that they can't reach their heads over now, and they are regaining their growth. Three of my hybrid tea roses had a bad winter, but looks like they will slowly make it back. Funny though, one came through our tough winter unscathed, and it was planted very near the others. That was a David Austin's Sharifa Asma, which is just as covered in leaves as my Mordens. Don't you just love going out each day (several times in my case) and seeing the changes as the season progresses. ^_^
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6457151

Ann, the new puppy is taking all my time up. I had him out in the garden yesterday helping me, well, he wasn't really helping, more hindering. I was trying to get the veggie beds weeded and turned over. He is growing like a weed.

There's lots blooming here, a large patch of yellow erythroniums which are gorgeous. The rhodos are blooming, the frittilarias etc. etc. It's such a nice time of year.

Heather, I'm sure your garden is looking spectacular. It sure looked good when we had the RU in Victoria. Too bad no one is organizing another RU. It was a lot of fun.
Heatherbelle
Victoria,, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6457592

DonM47, I have the Sharifa Asma rose as well - I just love peachy/apricot colours in roses, I also have Pat Austin. The roses are behind this year (as are quite a few other things) but the nice weather this past couple of weeks has brought everything on in leaps and bounds. I too have a wander around the yard, with my breakfast smoothie, in the morning before I go off to work. I am trying hard to keep my pruners off some of the plants that look dead, I know from past experience that they may just surprise you ! I think this is my favourite time of year.
Heather

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America