Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
safetyjoe
Eugene, OR

April 20, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6437460

I am still confused about caterpillars, and especially cutworms. My extension horticulturist told me I have cutworms and showed me the type damage they incur. The timing of using nematodes for control doesn't always work, so I don't know what to do. They can demolish plants and render them unsellable. What to do?
Kenan Rowlett

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6442237

Cutworms are Lepidoptera. One would think it should be toxic to them. I would suspect difficulty in actually applying the Bt to the place cutworms feed on. That's a good question. I assume you have not found Bt in any recommendations on cutworms. I'd hope that extension person can refer you to an entomologist for a specific question. I would pursue this for you but at the moment have family business and time is very limited.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6447896

I found this article today which says that YES, Btk can be used to control cutworms and arnyworms
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r785300611.html
Edited--Note this "Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. kurstaki (Bt) is not as effective against cutworms and armyworms as for sod webworms and should only be used during the first and second instars. "

Edited because I went back later and read the whole page.
Thanks for a good question.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 5:04 PM
safetyjoe
Eugene, OR

July 13, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6814356

Dear Sallyg,
I appreciate your feedback and research. Very helpful! I forgot that I posted my question until I looked at my info today. The worms are out now, so the timing was good to find your response. I think good cultural practices can be just about as helpful as anything.
Thanks again,
Kenan

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6815603

I hope it helps. I can sure identify with losing plants to pests.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

July 31, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6888551

Hi, Sally. Thanks for this very timely and informative article on Bt. We have discovered bag worms on one of our recently planted arborvitaes and we bought some to use on them. However, I was concerned about the use of insecticides until I read your article and saw that it's a safe one to use.

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6927908

Wonderful !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: ABCs of Bt, a "natural" pesticide Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
This is a keeper article! ladygardener1 7 Apr 20, 2009 3:47 AM
Question darius 5 Apr 21, 2009 3:25 PM
BT docgipe 2 Apr 22, 2009 11:12 AM
Bt once maligned as toxic to Monarchs PrairieRun53024 1 Apr 24, 2009 12:20 AM
Ridance of Mosquitos with home products? kimmypoo2 1 Jul 13, 2010 6:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America