Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sustainable Alternatives: Earth Day 2009

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 9, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6442095

What is your community doing for Earth Day?

I was pleasantly surprised to see a big to-do planned down in the next county. The town population is about 8,000 and the whole county is about 50,000. They have over 30 green businesses, some government agencies and many volunteer groups who will have displays and information, and a LOT of hands-on things for kids like worm farming, live critters that live in streams and how water quality affects them, plant a flower and take home a seedling; displays of renewable energies like wind and solar, building a rain barrel and water conservation... you can even test-drive a hybrid vehicle and other green vehicles. Their list is long. They also have planned an adjacent recycling area for CFL's and batteries, something not normally available here.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 22, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6448914

Hey everybody. I am watching Oprah right now about plastic and the garbage in the ocean. There will be a special by Fabien Cousteau (grandson on Jacques Cousteau - the French oceanographer) tonight on CBS about this.

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20090422-tows-ocean-pollution#share

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 4:32 PM
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #6450384

Welll, our town didn't do much, sadly, but there is a group who is organizing a week-long town clean-up, involving both individuals and community groups.

I work at the local library, and I organized a series of six talks/programs on several environment-related issues, such as composting, organic gardening, energy alternatives, local eating, etc. It was a very last-minute thing, and having no experience really I was just kind of winging it, but I was very pleased with the response I got from those I contacted to come to speak for us. I only wish I could get the community to respond as well. Attendance has not been the greatest, but I guess it's a start.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6450630

This is so depressing. When I put out my recycling container earlier, I looked up and down the street without seeing any others. Cleaning up after ourselves is everybody's job but I think it will take some kind of carrot and stick approach to make it happen. The stick needs to be at the manufacturer's level and the carrot needs to be at the consumer's level. It would be politically unpopular but how else?

Digger that was a fine thing you did. Start now planning for your next round.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 23, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6451286

It seems to me if we could just get rid of plastic bags it would make a big dent in the volume of non-biodegradable trash.
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6451318

As far as plastic goes, wouldn't it be wonderful to avoid buying things packed in plastic, and not have to recycle?

My big thing right now is a large stack of Stonyfield Yogurt containers. I will have to make my own yogurt to avoid that.

It's a full time job avoiding plastic wrappers and packaging!!

I got another 40 row ft. of peas planted for Earth Day. 1oo row ft in so far, and it's early here. Every thing I can grow is one less thing that I buy in a plastic package!!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 23, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6451345

And green peas are so great. Down South when we say 'peas' we mean black eye summer peas. For the green ones you have to start early before the heat sets in.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6453345

Thanks Twiggy. So far the speakers have been very good, so that is a plus. And I am hoping to start earlier next year. This was just a project that landed in my lap when I asked if the library was going to do anything. The answer was "no... but if you want to..." and so about four weeks ago I rolled up the sleeves and got down to business. I did it because, like so many here, I feel passionately about these issues.

Not great attendance, but I'm still glad I did it, and we will indeed plan on a head-start next year!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6453363

Good for you, DD!
dmcdevitt
Schroon Lake, NY
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6454290

DD, sometimes it takes a bit for it to catch on.

Next year will be better. Good for you making the effort!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America