Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dordee
Silex, MO

April 21, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6442490

In Missouri, at least around Silex, we have rocks, rocks and more rocks. The sizes are 1 hand, 2 hands, 3 hands and hook it up to a tow chain and pull it out. That is how you dig a hole for rose bushes. So, when it came to building raised beds, I just gathered all those rocks that heave up during the winter and stack, pile them up to enclose a flower bed. Now, with prices at the store going up, they will surround a raised vegie bed. Question: How do you stop deer, squirrels, rabbits and moles from undoing all that work? I am located in the middle of the woods, on a bluff above a river and we have at least 3 places where they all cross our yard. As they mosey thru, they take a bite here and there and the moles have taken up permanent reidence. Even 6 cats don't deter them. Dordee
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6443391

We have lots of rocks here too, so close to the Rockies. Isn't it nice to not have to go out and buy them? As far as deterring animals...I am afraid I can't be of much help. My backyard beds are all fenced in so I don't have a problem with the veggies. My front yard is often wiped clean by deer - like my tulips all were this weekend grrrrrrr. I've heard of people using cougar urine to deter the animals with the smell/pheremones, but I have no experience with it. Maybe someone will chime in and help us! Susanne
aradom18
Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago

February 24, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8390115

I agree with gardeners who don't agree with trying to alter the soil. The time, effort and money can be better spent. Raised bed vegetable gardens are a great way of avoiding bad soil altogether.

http://www.quick-and-easy-vegetable-garden.com/raised-bed-vegetable-garden.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Best Veggie Garden $1 Can Buy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great ingenuity, Suzanne! pajaritomt 8 Apr 20, 2009 5:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America