So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6443112

EPA Will Test Pesticides' Effect on Endocrine System
By Juliet Eilperin, Washington Post Staff Writer, Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Environmental Protection Agency announced today it will order pesticide manufacturers for the first time to test 67 chemicals contained in their products to determine if they disrupt the endocrine system, which regulates both animals' and humans' growth, metabolism and reproduction.

The testing will begin this summer and focus on whether these chemicals affect the body's estrogen, androgen and thyroid systems, EPA officials said. It will eventually encompass all pesticide chemicals.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/15/AR2009041502054.html

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6443790

Research into large estuarine bodies of waters is also showing that frogs and fish are reacting to the pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and herbicides with mutations, extra limbs and other anomalies. A study is underway on that aspect of water-supply contamination too. Someone who was interviewed yesterday on NPR has written a book about it but I don't recall the name.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 21, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6443921

Was it Hedrick Smith "Poisoned Waters" -

on Fresh Air yesterday?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103278837

Hastur
Houston, TX

April 21, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6443927

I did not see anything about any specific tests. I wonder if the tests are going to be for each individual chemical, or for combinations too, such as the combos you might find on a farm that uses different pesticides to control specific critters.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6443980

I only read that all 67 would be tested, no mention of combinations being tested...

Hey, it's a start, even though the pesticide manufacturers seem to think the testing won't turn up any problems.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6444030

Gloria, yes, it was Hedrick Smith. Thanks!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6445762

"Pesticide industry officials said they had anticipated the move, which was prompted initially by the 1996 passage of the Food Quality Protection Act, and they planned to cooperate on the matter." From the Washington Post article.

It's 2009. Hello? It says a lot that the concept of testing these products only occurred 13 years ago and it says a lot more about who's looking out for whom.

It concerns me that the manufacturers are the testers. There have been many instances of pharmaceuticals and chemicals being banned AFTER the damage is done and after they had been declared safe by the developers and approved by our regulators who rely on industry reports. It all seems too cozy to me. On the other hand, I don't want to spend billions of tax dollars testing all this crxp.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 22, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #6446453

A valid test would be independent of the developer by an agency with no interest in the product. Thats the problem with GM seeds/foods. The patents prohibit independent testing.
Hastur
Houston, TX

April 22, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6446982

As a dyed-in-the-wool foodie, who is married to a man that loves his cokes and bologna sandwiches (yet is also a bit of a martial arts jock, so I'm not sure how he does that one), I have had to explain my concerns about pesticides several times.

Basically, I explain to him that the individual pesticide, on its own, probably is safe (within certain tolerances of safe). By itself, any individual herbicide is probably safe, too. On an individual basis, if you ingest a certain amount of the pesticide (measured in Parts Per Million of course), then you probably won't die or get a disease or anything (again within certain parameters).

However, if you take in two pesticides, each that are considered safe, that's two. And they may combine in ways that are completely unexpected. A really good example of how things that are unexpected can happen was shown to me in a chemistry class. We made asprin. Simple pure asprin. The final step was to pour some liquid that we had created into a beaker of dry ice, and then harvest the crystals. Simple, right? Thing is, the liquid we were pouring over the dry ice was a form of LSD. The reaction of the two chemicals created something completely different than either of the ones going in.

All chemicals are like this. Ammonia by itself is pretty harmless, and chlorine bleach is fairly harmless. Either one can get on your skin, and as long as you wash it off won't do any major damage. But if you combine them, you get chlorine gas - deadly.

Therefore, while testing is a start, I am curious if there will be testing of combinations of the pesticides. And for my examples, I only used two of any given chemical. What kind of combinations are effected in the real world? Three? Ten? More?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6447010

Good examples, good points, Hastur!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

April 22, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6447092

That is the worrysome point: the allowed tolerances of melamine, other chemicals, drugs and hormones in the groundwater - when combined with other substances or used in cumulative amounts over the years are no longer harmless nor insignificant when incorporated into biological reality.

We tend to think that natural processes - like climate - like the weather - are independent of us. But what we do is part and parcel of how things work on a global scale.
Hastur
Houston, TX

April 22, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6447132

Thank you Darius. You have no idea how many times I've had to try to explain that one.

Gloria, that's why I'm wondering about the testing that is done. I didn't even want to go into what the tolerances of "safe" are because in the long run, you don't know. And I like tech and discovery!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America