Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

New Baby Congrats!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Hey Cajun! Saw your new baby's pics over on P & L... nice! Congratulations on your new gaited foal. =0)

You know, after a while... maybe a few minutes... one chick is just like another (no matter how cute Moodene dresses 'em LOL), but baby mammals.... maybe 'cause they're rarer?... just give me the grins all over for days and days.

So how's little Ben doing today?

Jay

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He's doing great. He is filling out really quick. I let him and the mare out into the barn hall to get a bit of exercise day before yesterday. He has a lot of high front end action and a really nice bob to his head. Here is a video. Most of it is cavorting around like all foals do but near the beginning you can see him rack the length of the hall. He is really going to be nice.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/cajuninky2/?action=view¤t=AwddaBen068.flv

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh, I wish I could watch that! But dial-up just isn't going to let me. =0(
Could you post a pic for me? I'll bet he's just a blast to watch, and dream about those gaits! How long do you like to wait before riding a youngster? We started light work at two, nothing to really stress the joints, just start getting them used to things.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We start handling from day one. He was introduced to the halter and lead rope today. We'll sit stuff on him and blanket him before long. Nothing with any weight, just to aclimate him to things being on him. I'll likely get on him after 2 but very little riding until he's 3 and his knees close up.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

What a charmer! Beautiful white markings, too.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We'll likely know what color he is in a year or so.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

What a handsome fellow!

That sounds about like what we do... lots of messing with, and under saddle starts at two, just the basics, no stress. =0) Schooling more in quietness, acceptance than real performance, I guess you could say.

Is there a reason you think he might be other than chestnut colored?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Just that there are no chestnuts in his line that I know of. And that fact that the shedding of the foal coat can give you lots of suprises. LOL

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I'd say the only surprise is whether he's a bright chestnut or a dark chestnut. LOL

That is the nicest diamond I think I've ever seen. My most favorite one was a marking that looked just like a wine glass... with a very long stem. =0)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I bet that was cool!!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Named him "Isle Be Irish Wine"... born on St Pat's Day, his dad was "Isle Bet"...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Very creative. I always like the names that have a story.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.