Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Self-contained Box Gardens: Harry Lauder in a planter?

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6444018

I have a 24" round planter on my back deck, and would like to put a Harry Lauder Walking Stick in it, but am afraid it may overgrow the planter. Has anyone tried to keep this bush small, perhaps by keeping it trimmed back? The deck is in full sun. Or alternatively, any suggestions for another contorted speciman plant that would not be cramped in a pot? Thanks for any insight. Deb
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6444695

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/containers/all/

Have you tried the container forum. This forum tends to be more about veggies. ALTHO...I grow daylies in my EB's

I get ideas every year for my pots and color combos from looking at the container thread. The walking stick is however, something I havent seen .
thistle5
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6485614

At the garden center that I work at, we have Harry Lauders in fairly small nursery pots, maybe 3 gallon, that are large specimens, so I think a 24" container, if it's not too shallow, should be just fine for yours, just keep an eye on the watering. These are beautiful plants, I'm trying to find a spot to fit one in in my yard...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America