Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Small nut trees in the Home Fruit and Nut Garden: Excellent...

Communities > Forums > Article: Small nut trees in the Home Fruit and Nut Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Small nut trees in the Home Fruit and Nut GardenReplies: 13, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6446619

Darius,
My great-grandfather had dozens of chinquapins on his mountaintop farm in WV, that I remember raiding as a child with my siblings. I had started researching the little oak shrubs, but not yet determined a variety to try growing in our zone... thanks so much for saving me the trouble!!

I had no idea there were pistachios in baklava! I've always loved the stuff, but suspected it was too labor-intensive for lazy me to make, so I never checked what the ingredients were! I didn't know that a ginko was a nut tree (thought it was a little woodland plant). I did not know I could grow a pine in my zone that would bear edible nuts, I thought they were tropical. I'm sick of paying the ridiculously high prices for pine nuts here... I want to grow my own now!

I'm thrilled with this article and all the handy info you've presented! I think you should just double every fruit and nut plant on your wish list so you can order for the both of us! Let me know when everything gets here and I'll help unload the truck, LOL!

Thanks for another excellent article,
Bev

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6446678

Bev, I may have a lead to some chinquapin starts for trade. I only planted one, and it needs another to pollinate. Plus, I have a seed cone for Siberian Cedar pine nuts. They need a long freeze before planting, though. Probably better in a freezer rather than just outside here. I'll be in touch about them.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6446934

I do SO want to grow almonds, but the squirrels!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6447000

Squirrel Stew?? That's why I have no squirrels... (my neighbor, not me!)

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6447515

Oh yes, I'd be interested in the chinquapin starts and Siberian Cedar pine nuts!! I have yellow raspberries starts, and I think I can round up a few more yard goodies to trade ya!

Squirrel stew, LOLOLOL!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6447582

Darius, You are the fearless pioneer woman I hoped to become when I was younger. You just don't stop. You're like the energizer bunny.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6447602

LOL, don't I wish! Some days I feel more feckless than fearless, but thanks for the compliment anyway. ^_^
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6447739

I keep trying different kinds of gizmos to put on the trunk to keep the varmints from climbing.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6447994

I don't think you can dissuade a determined squirrel, they're such clever and stubborn creatures!

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 22, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6448594

Excellent reading again and all my office buddie's agree too.

I never heard of a monkey puzzle tree until this article. Look's like an interesting tree.

Hi Sundownr and happy gardening to you.

Rachel

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6448796

Hey there Rachel, happy gardening to you too!

I'd never heard of the monkey puzzle tree either! It might be worth looking into for more info.

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 22, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6449319

Hi Sundownr. I am thinking about one of those tree's.

Wishing you a wonderful evening. Just wish this awful wind we get anymore would lay and stay away.

HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6470327

LTilton, almonds won't grow in our 5b zones! I was born in an almond producing area in Central California. When a young man, my DH used to 'knock' almonds for spare change. Almonds are still my very favorite nuts, and they are now so expensive!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6470408

They now apparently have some hybrid types of almonds or quasi-almonds that will grow here. I don't know how they would compare to the original types.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Small nut trees in the Home Fruit and Nut Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nuts phicks 3 Apr 27, 2009 3:23 PM
Thank you... cyra 1 Apr 27, 2009 4:45 PM
Castanea alnifolia Dyalma 3 May 1, 2009 12:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America