Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.
This Schefflera has been in the same spot in an east bathroom window since the fall. It has been growing fine (and recovering from a former owner's abuse) and producing nice dark green leaves. All of a sudden, with absolutely no changes in care (no new soil, no change in location/humidity/watering patterns) light green leaves are popping out and this one, in particular, was riddled with brown spots.
I checked for aphids and mealy bugs and can see neither.
This plant is near my newly purchased orchids, too, so I don't want something going from the Schefflera to the Orchids. (The bad leaves are older than the new orchids. ;)
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?
Yikes! It really looks more viral than fungal...you could try the old aspirin trick which is on another thread that I will have to find. You might want to send these photo to PalmBob, he's an Uber Gardener and knows just about everything! Let me try and find the aspirin method, if its viral, that will likely help...
Ooo! Please post the aspirin trick! :) There is a method for ridding of some things, not sure it will work but it's a thought. You mix cinnamon with rubbing alcohol, let it sit over night, then strain and spray on the foliage. It needs to be repeated much like fighting critters. Approx. 1tbsp cinnamon to 1/4c alcohol. I have no idea if that will help this but it has helped me with crown rot in the past believe it or not. :) Sometimes you will try anything just to see!
I would definitely think whatever this plant has looks like something called "ringspot" but the problem is it doesn't have mealy bugs. I do know what mealy bugs are, how to spot them but this plant has never had them, nor has anything else in my house since this plant has been here, so it may sound like it could be ringspot but I'm not sure how it would have gotten there.
I ended up removing the bad leaves for cosmetic reasons if nothing else. I considered that it might just be moisture damage from being in a bathroom all winter. I'm waiting to see if the new leaves show similar problems. If they do, I'll chuck the plant. It was a rescue and after thinking it over and considering that what it has might spread among my other plants, I'm not planning on spending any more time or energy saving it.
Thanks for all the help. If any future readers recognize the problem, please feel free to comment. Even though the plant may not be with us anymore, I'd still like to know what it was.