Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Where, Oh Where Did My ______ Go?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 31, Views: 251
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6449045

Are there any perennials that aren't showing up yet in your UMW garden? Tell us what no-shows you have so far.

Right now, I'm missing my toad lilies. They're fall bloomers, so I'm not sure how late they wake up.

Siberian Iris seems to be greening a bit at the base, but there's no noticeable growth yet.

Nothing at all from echinacea 'Coconut Lime,' which I moved from my former sunny garden to a part-shade spot last fall. This makes me sad--I hope it's just sleeping in. My mom's echies are showing noticeable new growth (but they're also in full sun).
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6451471

KaylyRed,Iam going to go outside and take inventory today,its finally going to be decent,ihave noticed things that were hard hit this past winter,ajuga,mother of thyme,some of  my ornamental grasses either are dead or this cold weather .april 27 th 08,most farmers had their crops planted,nobody can even work the fields yet.well iam hoping for signs of life today !!
enya_34
Madison, WI

April 23, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6452204

I don't see my hosta Fugibotan :( It was in it's second year last season so I was hoping to glimpse a flower this summer. On the other hand primula that was on it's last legs last summer, it coming back strong. Pulmonarias that came out green last spring are blooming now but not much growth. This spring is trickier for the plants in my garden.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6452645

I had to go look up hosta Fujibotan, Enya. What pretty flowers! Maybe it's just late waking up. I know most of my hostas (they're all NOIDs, because they came with the house) are just barely showing eyes. One of them I would've trampled yesterday when I was planting had I not remembered it was there and really looked for it.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6464395

iam in shock,no real deaths to speak of,a mum,1 hyacinth bulb,1 rose bush(my bad),bugle weed,and we had rain,ice,ice, snow,wind,snow,wind,and a real crummy spring,good snow cover was probly helpful .
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6466240

I'm a zone colder than you, but my Toad Lilies are always late to emerge. I have barely anything up yet. Be patient...they are on their way.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6466742

No MIAs yet that I can tell, surprising after such a nasty winter! Only questionable thing is my clethra which isn't showing any signs of life yet, but it's still early for it.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6469431

Can't find my Toad Lily either, and my Baptisia isn't up yet. Everything else seems to be alive.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6469889

The 'Coconut Lime' echinacea is finally showing signs of life. Whew! I would've been quite sad if I'd lost that one.

Siberian irises took off this week with the warm weather and rain we had.

Still nothing from the toad lilies, but I happened to see them at a nursery this past weekend and they were practically dormant little stumps in a pot. (How they can sell something like that for $8 still amuses me. Even thought I know it'll grow, and I've bought dormant and bare root plants in the past, I have a hard time taking a twig to the register and paying that kind of money for it.)

I had thought I'd remembered Lily of the Valley in photos of the front yard here at the new place, and that finally started coming up in the past couple of days.
enya_34
Madison, WI

April 28, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6473277

Most of my hostas are showing some signs of life, even the minis. Nothing to speak of where I had toad lilies. I did scratch the surface even, so they are really really late comers.

One of my best surprises is the Japanese anemone I got at UMW RU. It's such a joy. Unlike the ones I bought and lost already it comes stronger each year. There's something to be said for the plants that come from a stock that is grown in local gardens.

Last summer I started a geranium coner and all four plants are there. Not much growth yet, but they look healthy. My only complaint is that I seem to have problems keeping markers in place. Even the metal ones are all bent and some are broken. I'll need to look into this more.

I have a desperate problem on my hands not - need to put into the ground the siberian irises I bought last fall and overwintered in a compost pile. The soil is so soggy...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #6473674

KaylyRed,coconut lime cone flowers,Iam gonna hafta get me some ,much to my hubbys chagrin,but the lime would be perfect w/the old purple.I need to get busy and start trading !

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6473871

I have several no- shows to speak of. The bed on the east side of my house I see no signs of hostas or Astilbes. My tea roses all 6 of them are toast. My fault entirely I pushed my luck with them and they let me know they didn't like it by dying. Oh well I'll replace them with Knock outs or Rugosa. No signs of my Foxgloves, or my Razzmatazz echinacea, catananches are a no show and my Verbascums, Hoping most are just having a hard time waking up this spring, such as its been
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6473953

At the very least, cece...give the hostas and the echinacea a chance. The hostas I inherited with the house are just now starting to show eyes, and I wouldn't have noticed them at all had I not gone out and really looked for them. Same thing with the echinacea--there's just the tiniest bit of green showing right now.

It's been a cold spring. I'd go out and take another look today, because, at least here in Watertown, the warmer weather coupled with all the rain we just got seems to have given everything a boost.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6474346

I may just have to do that. A LOT of my plants were showing yesterday that weren't on Saturday.

I just LOVE the color green my lawn is...

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6476318

Kayly I found the atsilbe and the hostas on the east side of the house. No signs of the other though, they must need a little more time.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6476502

Yay! Glad to hear those are up n' coming, at least. :) We gardeners are impatient, aren't we? What an ironic choice for an obsession--gardening requires LOADS of patience.

You'd think I'd learn by now to have some patience, because I've actually killed plants that were most likely alive by yanking them out too early, certain they were dead. I think I lost my lavender that way. I pulled one out and composted it, but let it's neighbor stay just to see if it would do anything. About 3 weeks later than expected...it did.

I don't have delphiniums at my new place yet, but every spring I used to suspect they were dead. Turns out that they're some of the most vigorous growers in my garden.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6477451

Patience is NOT one of my virtues. My kids exhausted that Years ago. I've learned with Butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, and trumpet vine that they never show signs of life till the middle of June. By then I'm always surprised to see them I'd be so busy with the ones needing deadheading or cut back already or whatever.

I agree it is a strange hobby, me for anyway, to get into with the patience of nil.

Glad somebody else has the same inflection. (Is that the right word? anyway...)
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6477893

lol...it's an affliction, for sure!

I bet if Dave ran a poll asking gardeners if they considered themselves patient people a lot of them would vote a big fat NO. ;)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6478744

It should maybe be suggested to Dave? lol Thanks for finding the right word for me. i have no patience for een coming up with the right spelling of words. Can you say, Lost cause?
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6479037

I think that I have finally found my patience this year. In the past I've wasted so much time and energy worrying about plants that haven't come up yet...certain that they had perished over winter...that I have finally relaxed. I know that some of them are chronically late every year, and although it has taken me YEARS to get it thru my thick head, I finally know to wait for them.

You should all be very proud of me this year. Not Once have I knelt and probed the soil for my hosta pips!

In reality, I have lost very few plants. A nurseryman once told me; "They are just plants." I try very hard to keep that in mind when fussing over something that may or may not show itself.

We had 30 degrees here yesterday morning, so I am very glad that I have had virtually nothing emerge yet. Of course...it's not hard to have patience when you know it's too early to look for anything. lol
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6480174

I wrote to Dave about the patience poll idea, and he passed it along to Melody, who's in charge of the polls. We're on the schedule for a poll in June. The results should be interesting! ;)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6482474

I have to tell you; I told you I had lost my roses due to my lack of doing anything? Out of 7 I lost 2 yes (2) two. They are budding out any way. I was so shocked I almost cried! True a couple well a few are coming up from the root stock but they are Still roses. I do NOT have to replace of them. This is a GOOD thing...plus I found 1 foxglove coning to life. Hope is not over yet! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6527444

Here in NW Ohio I'm still waiting for signs of life from my butterfly bush and Rose of Sharon, also several ornamental grasses look really bad.My Princess Di Canna did not emerge from winter storage looking too healthy either.
However, on the plus side- I have two fernleaf peonies I paid a bundle for last year and by the end of summer they had "disappeared" entirely due to our hot, dry weather. I had already mourned (and cursed) their loss but failed to remove their little protective fence rings last fall. Imagine my glee to discover ferny little heads poking up out of the winter debris that had settled into the fence rings! ! Not only were they both alive but I do believe they are two different types since their ferny leaves are of two distinct textures. I forgot to mention - I actually purchased one pot ( for $40!!) and while transplanting it I was thrilled to discover two separate plants so I planted them individually... and now both appear to have risen from the dead! Life is good!
If and when they bloom I will post their pictures.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6535014

2 things i know i lost were...

H. Queen Josephine
Jack Frost Brunnera

**sniff sniff **

I was really looking forward to seeing the Jack Frost in bloom... i bought it end of season last year.
*should see if i still have my receipt and if there was a guarantee.

**edit to fix my Brunnera typo

This message was edited May 11, 2009 5:00 PM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6535036

Quoting:
I seem to have problems keeping markers in place. Even the metal ones are all bent and some are broken.

it's that Wisconsin SNOW. all my up north get mangled, but the ones i have at home are usually fine.

Quoting:
I've learned with Butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, and trumpet vine that they never show signs of life till the middle of June.

All of mine have growth for a few weeks now. i was happy to see the butterfly weed as this is the year they should bloom. Ieft the lil sticks behind [what was left of them last year] so i would know where they are when they popped up... they are about 3" tall already.

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6535554

That's sad about your brunnera, tcs. I've kept wanting to get some because I like the pretty blue forget-me-not type flowers. Do you have a clue why you lost it? Was it maybe just planted too late to get established? I don't want to invest in any if it's not going to be as hardy as I thought it was.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6535599

Kayly... i have no idea... i have always wanted one, and looked up the hardiness... it did say not to let it dry out.
I have sandy soil... maybe that did it. I may contact the Landscape place and see if i can't get a replacement. Or maybe a discount on a new one if they wont replace it. I think i put it on the CC, so i should have the receipt.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 12, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6539148

I have both Jack Frost and the common non-variegated Brunnera planted next to each other. For the flowers the non-variegated one is by far outperforms Jack. All of the garden is on a slope so I do know it does not get enough water, but after 3 years I would think my Jack should be much fuller. I moved a baby Jack to another location last fall just to see if it's the spot it does not like or it's just not a fighter enough plant to grow in my garden :(
DianeEG
Galva, IL

May 13, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6543944

I lost two evergreen daylilies even though I mulched heavily. Aside from a really really cold windy winter, I consider it my fault since they were evergreens and I typically have better results from dormants and producers farther north. Most everything was slow budding this year but I didn't loose any roses or other things mentioned by others. Had planted several roses and they are coming up. Even though I didn't loose much, I did have quite a few bushes have dead parts this spring. The holly, flowering almond, rugosa roses, honeysuckle, all had partial kill. UMW - ya' gotta be tough.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6544146

The roses I thought I'd lost came up anyway. Out of 5 foxgloves only one survived so I'll be replacing them I guess. All in all it just took them a little longer to come up this spring, With the few warm days we did have things came up fast. and didn't lose as much as I feared.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6544170

My clethra is finally starting to leaf out, so it looks like no losses this year - surprising considering how bad the winter was!
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6552418

I didn't lose anything this year except for a 4-year old eastern redbud that got run over by some idiot who drove up onto our lawn in the middle of the night in January. GRRRRRRRR!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America