Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vermicomposting: Can you put them in raised beds?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2009
7:08 AM

Post #6451056

I was going to make some raised beds this year for vegetables, and wondered if I could just put the worms in there with the plants. .

Also, was someone saying that these worms were killing trees? That sounds serious.

Qinx
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6451605

Hi,

Red Wigglers will not survive just out in a garden. You'd want earthworms for your raised bed.

As for the rumor that worms are "killing" trees, they are not killing trees. They are composting the decaying material on the forest floor faster than in the past when there were no worms in the habitat of the forests. This is changing how the forest lives. Worms are not native to the areas being talked about.
mamasworms
Emeryville, CA

June 6, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6648488

Bentley over at redwormcomposting.com has some posts from a week or two back where he showed the results from digging trenches for his worms next to his vegetable garden. He got some great growth that way, but I think it took several pounds of worms to get the system moving.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America