-
AuthorContent
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2009
8:38 AM

Post #6451085

I recently Purchased a rabbits foot fern and want to transplant it either to a larger pot to hang or a basket to hang.The basket is a coco mesh lined metal basket. There are two parts to my question. First, how brittle are the rhizomes? The rhizomes are currently hugging the sides of the pot it is in. When I pot it up will the rhizomes bend around the new (wider) rim? Also, if I go with the basket, should I line it with plastic?

Thanks for any info,
David

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #6451089

The rhizomes are fairly tough, but also fairly flexible.

They grow quite fast and follow the contours of whatever they're in, before long it'll be impossible to extricate the pot from between them ;-) I've found it is simpler just to take some cuttings and start them in the new pot, rather than try and repot the whole thing.

Resin
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6478157

Thanks Res. Do I need to go to the trouble of using a rooting hormone? Then, when I plant the cuttings, where will the new sprouts come from? Should they be planted vertical or flat radiating out from the center?

Thanks for any info, David

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6480227

I just stuck a piece of rhizome in a pot, and it rooted easily without any hormone. Since the hormones usually sold are developed for flowering plants, they might not work as desired with ferns, so probably best not used.

Plant in whatever pattern you like! The rhizomes will continure growth at their tips, and also produce side branches. Don't expect them to maintain whatever design you chose ;-) The new growth will tend to grow hugging whatever surface it can find - in the wild, this probably helps it trap rain and windblown soil particles, leaf fragments, etc., to provide it with additional soil to root in.

Resin
handbright
Coral Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 12, 2009
8:09 AM

Post #6537593

This fern is an epiphyte, and gets most of its nutrition from the rhizomes that hang outside the pot. Each one of those "legs" is a water and nutrient reservoir. Below is a site that tells you how to repot them, I'm going to try the cone shaped cutting this winter after I nurse this incredibly matted specimen through another summer. Right now mine is just a huge ball with live rhizomes chris-crossing and struggling over the spent ones so fpr me, it's really time!
http://www.srtrop.com/ferns/tips.htm

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America