-
AuthorContent
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6454251

I bought my first passiflora last spring and it never grew outside, even tho I did everything the seller told me to do. The leaves were small and brittle and it I brought it inside in a pot before it was cold It has grown and is now about 12' long. It is nearly time to take it outside again and I have some questions.

1 - I hate to cut it back but would it bloom better if I do? It won't develop flower buds on the part that has grown in the house will it? It never did in the house but it has had an east window exposure. I know south is best but I don't have a south window.

2 - If I mulch it well will it make it thru the winter? It is a passiflora caerulia. If I leave it out do I cut it back in the late fall or in the spring? Or does it die back and regrow the following year?

3 - I have been told by someone to leave it in a pot and bury the pot in the ground. If this is the case, what size pot should I put it in? I don't want to disturb it once it is established so I wouldn't think keeping it in a pot wouldn't be good. Won't the roots need to have room to grow uninhibited?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks so much,
Cathy..
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

April 28, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6473256

Hi Cathy,

I think this forum is still pretty slow this time of year. In response to your questions, I would not cut it back. Once it gets going, it should send out plenty of new shoots and buds. The buds will grow on the new shoots. It sounds like it may need some fertilizer, and possibly a bigger pot (especially if its in a one gallon pot). Also, it may need the higher light level outdoors to put out buds. Caeruleas can tolerate some cold, but I seriously doubt it would survive an Ohio winter outside, even if you did plant it in the ground. You can do a cutback in the fall to make it more manageable, especially if you are going to bring it inside. A spring cutback would probably delay flowering. Caeruleas do not grow back, unless the roots survive (maypops will do this though). The burying the pot trick is an attempt to control its invasive nature, but your cold winters would make it likely that a young plant wouldn't survive the winter anyway. What I would do is either keep it a pot that you can manage to bring inside for overwintering, or take cuttings in the fall, and over winter it that way (or you could do both).

Good luck
Mark
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6474290

Thank you Mark.

I put it on the south side of the front porch where it gets full sun. It is in a pot on the ledge. I have a chicken-wire trellis that I used to have morning glories climbing on, and the tendrils will be able to anchor themselves quite well, I think. It will be so nice to be able to look at the beautiful blooms when I'm reading on the porch.

In the week or so that it has been on the porch ledge it has begun developing buds. There are several. It is in a quart pot (the seller said that was the size I should put it in, but if you think a gallon pot is best I'll transplant it. I thought maybe I was advised to use the smaller pot because passifloras need to be root-bound to bloom. Once I put it in a larger pot I will keep it in the same pot and bring the vine and the pot inside over the winter.

Will a one gallon pot be large enough to accommodate the plant in the future?

I appreciate your help. I'm delighted that buds are growing on the vine that grew indoors over the winter. I thought maybe they would only form on new growth this spring. I'm excited !!

Cathy
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

April 29, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6478226

Hi Cathy,

One gallon is good for now, and if your summers get hot and/or dry that may even be too small. Eventually it will need a three to five gallon, but I'd start it out with a one gallon for now. One quart is really pretty small, and might dry out way too fast.

Good luck!
Mark
DevilDogs
Campobello, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6483195

they need to be root bound to bloom? I just repotted all of mine yesterday into larger, 12" pots. Was that a mistake?
Lotusblossom
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6483645

Hi DD,

I had mine in a small pot and it grew over the winter and I took it back outside last week. Mark advised putting it in a gallon size pot and I did. Now there buds forming. Evidently they don't have to be root-bound...I was mistaken in thinking it, evidently.
DevilDogs
Campobello, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6484251

oh good! cause I just repotted 7 yesterday that were completely pot bound in less than a year. Most already had buds on them and one has already had blooms. After spreading out those roots, I didn't think I could fit them back into the same pots they came out of.
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 3, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6497684

Devil Dogs,

I have virtually my entire collection of Passifloras in 12" clay pots and they do just fine. Most Passifloras will quickly become rootbound even in those larger pots but it doesn't seem to bother them. Trying to grow them in 6" or 8" pots can be very challenging, primarily because they dry out so quickly. You did the right thing repotting them!

Cathy and DD, please make sure to post pictures of your blooms!

Erick
DevilDogs
Campobello, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6502374

Drying out quickly was my problem over winter. Here are some pictures of last years blooms. Most are my passi's :-) My White Wedding never flowered over the summer. I got my first and only bloom between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm hoping it does better this year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kbilliu/2008Blooms#

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America