Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Are frozen meyer lemon seeds viable?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 12, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6454262

I have three lemons in my freezer from the last crop (had done so much squeezing, freezing the juice, and making all kinds of lemon desserts I was tired of it all, and threw these three in the freezer).

Now a friend wants some seeds, but I don't know if these would grow--can anyone tell me?
davolyn
Cypress, TX

April 27, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6470919

I have planted seed from my lemon and it took almost 5 months for them to come up but they are about 3 inches high and I put them in a pot where I can watch them.
FYI if you have cats in the house they will eat the little new seedling plants so protect them. Now I don't know if they will ever make lemons but I have enjoyed the challange. I used miricle grow potting soil for the garden and plants.

Davolyn Jackson
Cypress Texas
roose
Monroe, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6487317

Most citrus, I've found, don't bear fruit from seed. If you're looking to propagate lemons (or just about any tree) you might want to consider planting seeds from any citrus (in this case), Let them grow to about pencil size and graft a "true" lemon (or any citrus) scion onto it. Try it just for the fun of it.
There are also other methods of propagating plants if this method doesn't work out for you. Google it for more precise instruction.
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6488179

I agree, citrus from seed can be sterile. Is there a reason you don't want to buy a tree?
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6493419

My friend is propagating lots of plants to sell. My mother used to plant her meyer lemon seeds and Mexican lime seeds; I have one of each in my yard.
Her trees and mine were not grafted, so he wants to try it. He has made many cuttings and they are doing well, but he has a thing about seeds! Always wants to try a few seeds for fun.

So maybe the frozen ones won't germinate, but I'm going to give them to him anyway so he can play with them!
HBT4
Fort Rucker, AL

February 16, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7564266

I am trying to grow lemon seeds. Not sure what type of lemon, my husband bought some from the store. I read that the plants might not fruit and if they do, it will take years. Not really growing it for the fruit, just something fun to do with my daughter. I do not have seed starting soil at the moment so I am keeping them moist in a damp paper towel. 2 of the seeds are starting to grow mold and I have washed them several times. Today I took the shell off hoping that will prevent the seeds from growing more mold, but I am not sure that will help. Any suggestions?
legallylost
Lawrence, KS

February 16, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7564631

Buy a pack of seeds for 99 cents at Wal Mart of something fun and easy that will grow successfully. :) Seed starting mix can also be had at Wal Mart for less than $5. Your lemon seeds likely won't germinate if they haven't by now; see above re: citrus and sterility.
roose
Monroe, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7572053

I've seen some seeds produce really nice looking trees, and some believe it or not have produced fruit, they may not be edible but look nice. The one's I've seen look somewhat like like orange but the size of a cumquat.
I've done air layering with navel oranges and not only are they established, but now have flowers. Growing seeds are always fun for kids but you need something that sprouts fast. Their patience may not be like ours.
good luck.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7589821

If the seeds were totally dry before you put them in the freezer they should be alright. If they had moisture in them at the time of freezing, they will most likely not be any good. Hope this helps.

ants
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7851731

I don't know what happened to the seeds last year--I probably threw them away! But I have lemons again this year, and will try them again. I have a small tree my mother started from seed, and it bears good big lemons. I'm thinking about starting one for sentimental reasons--I like to propagate plants my mother gave me and pass them on.
This is a Meyer lemon, sometimes called a Valley Lemon, and they don't have to be grafted. Also my Mexican lime, which bears all year, needs to be propagated. I'll let you know--it may be a long time!
Bairie
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7851777

BTW, the Meyer lemon is not a true lemon. They originated in China. They are sweeter and not as acid as a true lemon, they have a thin skin, and are very juicy. They are very popular here in S. TX and most of them are grown in the Rio Grande Valley--hence the name "Valley Lemon."

The Mexican lime can also be propagated from seed. Cuttings don't do as well because they don't develop a strong root system; nurseries here usually graft them on sour orange trees--seeds are too slow for wholesale growing.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7904664

Every lemon seed I've planted has grown. I dry them out first then plant them in a cup of dirt, water and sun. No big deal. Takes about 10 days. Don't know about the freezer.
I'm growing lemon trees for bonsai.

Thumbnail by wormfood
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ashhuber
Marion, SD

October 15, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9686749

Where in TX can you get True Lemons? I'm in SD and I want to plant a lemon tree inside and I cannot find true lemon seeds. I don't want a hybrid.
Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America