Photo by Melody

Article: Stressed or Damaged Trees and Shrubs: Save or Replace?: root damage avocado tree

Communities > Forums > Article: Stressed or Damaged Trees and Shrubs: Save or Replace?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Stressed or Damaged Trees and Shrubs: Save or Replace?Replies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
d_thomcat2000
Kapaa, HI

April 24, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #6455604

Some of the roots of my avocado tree were removed in a construction project. It does not look good. The top looks like it died. It lost all its leaves. I cut the top. The tips of the leaves on the rest of the tree have turned brown.

The tree has a long history of being stressed. It was blown down twice in two separate hurricanes. Both times I cut the top of the tree and the branches sprouted and created a new top.

The tree is about 25 years old. It is a winter pear and the fruit is excellent.

Should i remove it or try to save it??????????

tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6456033

Boy, I'll be perfectly honest--I know nothing about tropical plants.

I suggest you contact a local nurseryman or agriculture agent (if you have one).

My first thought is, after 25 years and all that trauma, you might be facing the demise of your tree.

but, please...ask someone who knows about such things.

Good luck--I hope you don't lose it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Stressed or Damaged Trees and Shrubs: Save or Replace? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Weeping Cherry DaylilySLP 0 Apr 20, 2009 11:52 AM
Nice Article skaz421 0 Apr 20, 2009 12:29 PM
Great Topic! I can relate. greenbrain 0 Apr 21, 2009 2:40 AM
How do you decide? keelybird57 2 May 8, 2009 2:51 PM
Wilting Daphne gardenpicasso 3 Apr 24, 2009 12:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America