Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Antiques and Collectibles: Mostly antiques in the showcase.... my favourites

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 14, Views: 287
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6457266

Recently, last week, I got our new showcase built. So, all our items that were stored inside, came out in a much organized way. I'm going to share here some interesting objects that have been with us for as long as at least I can remember. Some are my very dear ones. From the tiled - gabled - roof above we get natural light through glass tiles. I love natural light.

I made the clock from an old 'rosewood shield' that probably was my grandfather's trophy. The clock is Ansonia almost century old and still working. The chairs on the left are old and the ones on the right are newer. I bought the latter set from a friend a few years back.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6457275

These are not in the showcase. My great grandfather's dumb bells.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6457288

A small pocket mirror [now gone], featuring Queen Mary and King George V.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6457295

Safety pins of yore.

Thumbnail by Dinu

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 25, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6460169

Dinu, that's wonderful. I hope you'll share some more of the treasures you've now got displayed.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6460908

On the top left is a set of wooden toys probably >70 years old, painted with lacquer. That apple also probably belongs to that era. Others seen are relatively new. Bottom right, 3 objects are not wood.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6460942

Celluloid dolls: http://collectdolls.about.com/od/dollprofiles/p/celluloiddolls.htm Found this link.

They were gifts to our home from my grandfather's close friend and also relative who went to Japan in the late 1920s or early 30s. He had got them from there and after his daughter finished playing with them, he gave all of them to us. They have been here for as long as I can remember. They are yet another of my favourites. I've stuck them on a piece of glass so that they wont topple over often. That way they are easier to clean with water and handle.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6460951

Except 6-7 in the centre [with teddy bear pic] all others are old - as old as the celluloid ones above. The same person gave us. I love some of them.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6460980

Some of my sportsman-grandfather's trophies from 1919-1950 or so. Still shining. Those little medals he won in various events like high jump, obstacle race, cricket, hockey, athletics, one-mile race, tennis [famous in this], billiards, golf, badminton [not much]... He was amazing in his hey days. He died at 80 when I was 18. My favourite person. My hero. My silent guide. Great personality all over. Complete all-rounder! I have avoided to keep my trophies because they are modern, ugly and pale. They have lost their sheen within one year! Look at them still shining!

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6461000

Full view of Case No.1. Some bronze and brass toys are kept above the porcelain items. The flower vase you see there was done by my 14-y old daughter about 10 days back. It's a clay pot painted. You can see a Concorde plane there on that same shelf. I made it about 35 years back. The objects up there in the centre were made by my late aunt using little beads of different colours. I've posted them in a separate thread in the Crafts forum.

Thumbnail by Dinu

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6470343

A fantastic collection! I particularly love all the celluloid animals. I've never seen so many. You must have played with them very carefully when you were small. And I think it's wonderful that you've taken such good care of your grandfather's trophies and medals. I'm sure he watches over you and is very proud. I have to go back now and see what else I've missed! You are a talented craftsman also.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 28, 2009
8:56 AM

Post #6473567

Thanks bigbubbles. First time we are meeting perhaps?? I say hello to you.

Yes, the toys have been taken care well and I was not a mischievous child but one that loved to open things up and look at them what's inside!! I never broke. My younger daughter too is like me. More of this later as I have to leave for office now.

Dinu
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6475973

What a wonderful display of your collections!
GardeningNC
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6637278

Very Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6639061

Thanks GardeningNC.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America