Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hydroponic Gardening: tilapia "aquaponics"

Communities > Forums > Hydroponic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hydroponic GardeningReplies: 45, Views: 639
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6467927

share your ideas and pics of your systems and knowledge and i will share what i know
this is my breeding tank with 6 females and one male.

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6467934

all the little white flashes are the week old babies.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6467947

here are some of the babies at 4 weeks old and about 1 inch log.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6467961

i am working on my aquaponics system now and will show pics of it as i get things done. i have a 250 gallon tank that will feed three 50 gallon barrels "cut in half" grow beds where i will be growing lettuce at first.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6468022

Cool! Keep up the posts!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6468028

I'll be watching, too!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6468098

Ah, heck. I was hoping you'd show up on P & L (except they don't ever seem to eat anything, just name it and dress it up) or Homesteading...

Ooops, gotta go. SO is home!
=0) Jay
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6468125

hay jay almost posted there but thought tilapia would fit in the hydro better but might get moved will see.
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6470313

This is great, White Bear. Is it too late for me to start some tilapia fingerlings now? (If I can get them shipped, anyway.) How long does it take to grow them to eating size? Are yours in your greenhouse? What do you feed them and how often?

I bought some tilapia at Safeway last week and it was pretty good, although they dressed it up with so much seasoning it was hard to tell what the basic fish tasted like. I'd like to grow them during the summer only at least for now, since my big greenhouse isn't ready.

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6470775

hay "AZgrammie" no its not to late. i keep mine in the greenhouse for the grow out but the breeders are in the house and the babies also until they reach an inch or more then to the greenhouse they go i raise "duckweed" to feed them plus a 32 % protean feed to balance out their diet.it takes from 6 to 10 months to grow them to 2 pounds, it all depends on the water temp and the amount of air you can get in to the water. the water temp should not drop below 60 or they will start to die. and the more air you can get into the water the faster they can process food. i try to keep my fish at about 76 not that hard during the summer. "whitebear"
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6470805

Whitebear, the more I read your posts, the more interested I am in following a lot of your examples.

I still haven't found the right link for the Solviva method, but it was a project in the NE US that was a big GH attached to a building that had some animals providing some of the heat, growing produce all winter, etc. This fish raising would also be a valuable asset to the whole concept...as would worm bins... heck, your own little biosphere!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6470940

I feel a field trip coming on... everyone to white bear's house for a tour, better than the zoo.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6471085

Although all of our work related travel takes us to to some cool places across the country and I get to meet some wonderful people, most of the places I would love to spend a few hours studying still involve traveling a few hours. One vehicle...4+ hour trip one way...makes for a short visit while DH is working. But it is definitately on my list of most wanted places to go! Amazing what talented and knowledgable people have found their way to DG! And how grateful the rest of us for them so kindly sharing!

Here is a picture of one of those designs, that I mentioned earlier.

Thumbnail by msrobin

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6471149

Looked on the map, 6 hours one way and I have to stop a lot. Too far to drive by myself anymore, bummer.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6471221

Story of my life...a day late and a dollar short. We were pretty close to St Louis last year for a few months. I'll keep in mind to contact you, if we head that way again...we could make the road trip together.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6471889

I had a friend that lived in Alaska for many years, and she raised rabbits and chickens in the GH and their heat and CO really helped her plants. I thought it was a pretty slick system. It took a lot of animals, but they were raising for meat and selling it.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 27, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6472255

well guys i'm hoping by next year to have a little guest house up so that visitors have a place to stay the night then can travel back the next day, because i have a lot of people wanting to come by and learn from or see the place. and i have a few people wanting to apprentice with me, i didn't think i had that much to offer.
well another momma has eggs should be up to 800 if they survive.
whitebear
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6472359

I will try to order some tilapia fingerlings in a couple of weeks, in between trips away from home. But 6 months from then will be November, and it starts getting real cold real quick about Nov. 1. May have to wait until next year. 8^(

Meanwhile, went to town with my neighbor today and found plain, unseasoned, farmed tilapia filets at the grocery, so that's what I am having tonight. Thanks so much for all the info.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6490711

ok here is a small aquaponic system i am working on for a guy that wants to set it on his porch and raise lettuce ans things for salads.
here is the base for the grow bed.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6490722

one half of a plastic 50 gallon drum for the grow bed.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6490725

the stand for the fish tank

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6490734

the small blue tub is for the catch tank where the return pump will go, thinking might go bigger to have more room and put bio media in it to filter the water a little more.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6490760

this 50 gallon tank will be cut down to about 30 gallons the plumbed to the grow tank, trying to decide whether to go with a constant flow or a flush system.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6490763

i'll post more when i get more done.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6491184

I love the picture lesson here. Just wishin I could get my hands on some of those barrows.

Janet
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

May 2, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6491589

I just looked on Craigs list. They had some listed for about $20. I was very surprised that they were so close to home.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 2, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6491755

wish you guys were closer i can get them for 4 dollars a barrel.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 27, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6602392

well cleaning out the big pond "pool" wife wants it back" so the fish are going to the 250 gallon tanks. just when i got a good growth of algae a going.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 27, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6602428

man messy job. the boys are getting a kick out of climbing in and netting the fish. i'm having a blast watching the jump and fall in the water when a fish rubs up agenst thier feet and scares them. laughing my butt off. laughed so hard my side still hurts.

Thumbnail by gthumbus

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6602743

You need a movie...
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 27, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6604101

i should of taped it, could of won on funniest home videos.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 28, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6606791

i'm putting as much water as i can into 250 gallon tanks to save for the garden

Thumbnail by gthumbus

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6609987

I have a visual of them now...rofl along with ya...

boy what I almost would do to get some killer tanks like those...

Janet
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 28, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6610289

not to make you feel bad or anything but i get them for ten dollars each, the local cookie factory sells them after the use all the honey.well almost all the honey i can get about a gallon out of two of them.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6610665

Gt, what a deal!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 29, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6612116

yeah the honey is worth that much

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6613727

they would make great rain barrows...

don't recon you would be going into the business of selling them and shipping them out would Ya??????
SpaceCase418
Annapolis, MD

March 18, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8435691

Hey white bear,

Thank you so much for creating this thread. i am new to DG and Aquaponics has been my biggest research project over the last two years since i discovered it. i have never built one because i don't own any property in which to do so but have been reading every ounce of research done on it since the seventies. How big is your system? i see that your using an aboveground pool as your fish tank but how does it feed your grow beds? are you using a flood and drain system or floating rafts? do you use any additional oxygen injection or are you relying on gravity and return water? i may build a micro system this summer since i'm in a town house this year with a small back yard. probably a modified flood and drain system. lol, can i trade plants for fish? i may get to build a real system this year if i'm lucky. i applied for a summer internship with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation on their renewable farm. they said that i landed the interview because i had mentioned aquaponics in my questionnaire and that they were considering building one. Any ways i could ask you questions for years to come and probably will.
Thank you
~Michael
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 30, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8530002

hay michael sorry took me so long to answer. i just renewed my member ship a few min. ago i've been very bizzy lol and at this min on the way out again. i will try and get back on tonight and tell you about my system that is going up right now. and i should have a few pics. good luck on the internship it sounds great. well i'll be back tonight "i hope"
"Whitebear"
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8530015

glad you are back Bear, I've missed reading your posts.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8530215

I was wondering if anyone else but me was interested in aquaponics so I am glad that I found this thread. I just discovered aquaponics a few weeks ago and am now interested in setting up a small system of my own. If possible I would like to raise fresh water prawns in the aqua culture and mushrooms in the hydroponic bed. Growing mushrooms might be a challenge but I believe there is a mushroom farm somewhere around Dallas so I might have a chance.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

April 30, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8531002

Yipee, more info. from Whitebear! Glad you are back~ missed you!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 30, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8531075

hay cathy4 and imagesoart thanks, and spacecase418 stay tuned to this channel for further up dates lol. i am starting a 20 by 48 ft aquaponic greenhouse to grow lettuce on rafts. i have the trusses up and the top plastic up and tommorrow i will be putting in the 8000 gallon tank in then building the grow tanks and misting bed for the seed starting. i will start taking pictures and posting them.
"Bear"

P.S. has anyone heard from cricket after these storms went threw?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8531728

Nope, Cricket hasn't surfaced yet. We're still waiting and hoping all is right with them.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8531927

thanks podster i'll keep the prayer going up
"Bear"
lonejack
Longview, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8868092

Hey gthumbus,
What is the progress on your aquaponic system?
I have just moved and am in the process of planning a system here in Western Washington.
I won't be able to have the system up and running until fall 2012, of course, if we are all here
after the predictions of the end of the earth, just kidding.
I am going to house my system in a greenhouse for all year production. Here in Western
Washington we need some heat in winter.
Right now I am studying. I am in the process of discovering the permit process
for raising Tilapia in Washington.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydroponic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydroponic Lettuce s_neubaum 2 Jul 6, 2007 3:42 AM
cloninig machine dmichael619 12 May 20, 2007 4:27 AM
Emily's Garden Florida 2 Apr 3, 2007 2:08 PM
Making our own nutrient solution? Florida 7 Jun 2, 2008 12:50 AM
trouble with ezclone machine artfern 1 Apr 4, 2007 2:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America