Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: pawpaw seed germination hints anyone?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 8, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6474244

I just got some cold-stratified pawpaw seeds. Should I just plant these in moist soil at outside temperature (warming spring days in Jackson MS) or does anyone have any hints on improving germination?

I was warned to keep slugs away from the seedlings, and I do have a slug problem around here.

Thanks, Susan aka Zonkel
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6492610

Hi Susan, I germinated some last spring. I put them in a small amount of damp soil-less mix in the fridge and took them out and left them on the counter. They all germinated, however your idea of putting them in pots first is good.I didn't notice mine had germinated until they had already started growing all awkwardly. Can I ask why they are already cold stratified? I find this odd because I have never received seeds this way. Can you be sure they are? I don't think they will sprout if not - that is why I ask.
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6492885

Yes, I got them from a man on gardenweb.com; he sent them to me for postage, very kind. One is alrerady germinating. They are overleese cross. I have about 28, and will give some to a local fruit tree growers club and a plant swap. I may try to graft some next year, but I'm just learning to graft and I understand pawpaw are hard.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6494743

Wow that is great! Grafting does seem like it would be tricky. I'm glad you are getting germination. : )
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6791264

I want to grow Paw Paw's from seed too! I need some more along our woodland edge for the zebra swallowtails (and I suppose I could make some jam, too!)

Meredith, how are your little seedlings doing?? Do they grow very fast? (are you getting some Zebras??)

I bought 10 plants from Mr. Ritter on e-bay a month ago but they are so tiny I wonder if they will ever grow... I'm thinking I should have just started them from seeds...

I will be interested in your progress, zonkel.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6792847

Tab My seedlings didn't survive the winter. : (
zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6797595

Tabasco, I did everything wrong.

The seeds produce a long root when they germinate, but the growing shoot does not necessarily emerge from the soil at once. It takes a long time in some cases, and if anything happens to the shoot tip, no other growth happens.

I lost some to an awful drought (no rain at all in June, and we were on vacation in June for a week). Some were lost to slugs tho I thought I had controlled them. A few were lost to sunburn and the majority have yet to emerge; just haven't put up that growing shoot. I still have them in containers and am hopeful, but I may not get any survivors.

The person I got the seeds from said he'd send some more if these didn't make it; I guess he knew I'd be lucky to get much success. I am determined to get some germinating, but I may end up buying a plant or two from the local nursery.

Good luck with the ones from ebay; maybe I'll try that route.

Susan
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6798282

Hey Tab I wanted to share an awesome pdf on Paw Paws I found. It has a section about starting seeds. It also talks about how the seedlings need to be partly shaded the first two years of life. Hope it is some help. http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-220.pdf
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6798997

Thanks, M., Yes, indeedy, they look like a bit of a challenge to germinate. And you have to be patient it seems!

I planted our paw paws along the woodland edge and watered them in. Then I was walking around the woody part of our property and found 2 very nice sized paw paws (about 15 feet tall) so I will watch for fruit and seeds this fall and maybe we can make another go-round with the germination.

I will try to remember to check them this August/September for fruit.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America