Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: Springtime thoughts . . . .

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 9, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6474620

This was my first year winter sowing, and I'm hooked.
Here's what I sowed (everything germinated except for texas bluebonnet)

-Sunflowers: planted them out in the garden.
-3 varieties of sweet alyssum: planted them out in the garden.
-3 varieties of oriental poppies: planted them out in the garden.
-painted daisies: planted them out in the garden.
-alaska daisies: planted most out in the garden, and transplanted some to pots for poconos.
-crazy daisies: planted most out in the garden, and transplanted some to pots or poconos.
-Lupine "the governor" and "gallery pink": planted out in the garden.
-Larkspur "kaleidoscope mix" and "blue cloud": planted out in the garden.
-blue bedder salvia: planted most out in garden, and some are in pots.
-maiden pinks: planted out in the garden.
-dianthus siberian blues: transferred to cell packs outside.
-matthiola incana: planted out in the garden
-geranium "vision violet" and "vision pink": planted out in the garden.
-foxglove "camelot rose" and "excelsior": planted camelots out in the garden, excelsior was to chia pet like, and decided to pitch.
-verbascum: planted out in the garden.
-cypress vine: planted out in the garden.
-penstemon: transferred to cellpacks outside.
-echinacea "prairy splendor": transferred to cellpacks outside and in garden
-stokes aster: transferred to cellpacks outside.
-columbine "blue barlow" and "coral star": transferred to cellpacks outside.
-snapdragons: transferred to garden
-bells of ireland: transferred to garden
-alchemilla mollis: teeny tiny, had first set of cute true leaves, and then my child dumped it.
-verbena bon.: transferred to garden
-texas blue bonnet: didn't germinate.
-3 varieties of zinnia: transferred to garden
-lobelia: chiapet like - child dumped it.
sempervivum: transferred to cellpacks outside.
campanula carpatica: childe dumped it (and was still very tiny)
astilbe "bella" hosta: transferred to cell packs outside.
delphinium "connecticut yankee" and "blue bird": transferred to cell packs outside.
chaenorrhinum "blue dreams": transferred to cell packs outside.
salvia "vatican white": transferred to cell packs outside.

Okay. This was my first year growing plants from seed. It was so much fun. For most of the plants, I really liked winter sowing. They are doing very well, and look quite healthy in the garden or in their pots. It was nice to be able to grow the plants outside. I did grow quite a few annuals under lights inside, as well, and I really liked this method too (especially for annuals that take a while to flower from seed - petunias, vinca, verbena, impatiens, lobelia). I also tried the deno method for some of the same seeds that I used for wintersowing this spring when it was warm enough to transplant the germinated seeds into cells outside (some lupines and matthiola incana). This works well too, but the wintersown plants are already happily growing in the garden with nice true leaves, while the deno method ones are still too small to transplant. The only thing that I wish I had started inside under lights instead of winter sowing are the snapdragons b/c I'd like them to be blooming soon, and they are still just seedlings at this point. But, for perennials the wintersowing method rules. I just want to thank everyone for their help on here. It's been quite a learning experience.

I washed out all my jugs and they are waiting to be used next winter!

Thanks again!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6542792

WOW -- looks like you had a great first year.

I still have a lot of duds, but considering i have over 125 containers [in various sizes] well over 50% have germination.

Today was supposed to be a planting day... too bad it's raining...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6547137

I managed to get a few babies planted yesterday morning in between rains. I never counted how many conainers I had altogether. But DH said last I am down to 19 left on the porch! LOL
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #6625362

Wow, pgt, it looks like you're having a bumper crop this spring!

I can't wait to see photos of your border later this summer1

I love wintersowing, too, and I didn't do it this year and I'm feeling very left out of all the fun!

t.
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6625488

Tabasco, most of my stuff went into different borders than the one I usually post about on here. I did plant some of the lupines and foxglove into it, but the rest went to different places. I'll definitely post pictures next year when they will (hopefully) be blooming. Winter sowing is awesome. Such a money saver.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6897172

pgt~did you scrape off a bit of the seed hull before planting your bluebonnets? Sometimes you have to rub them on a file a little bit to "help" them. Also, plant them in the fall (Sept/Oct), not in winter.

alday
Center, TX

September 10, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7048062

Hi, I am new to WS but could please explain what is a cellpack? I am not familiar with that word. Thanks alday

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7057052

alday...

yanno when you buy 'packs' of annuals at the local garden center? they usually come in 4, 6 or more lil plants...

my guess is those are cellpacks.

HTH

Terese
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #7062093

pgt, don't give up on those snapdragons. Some of mine have lived 2 or 3 years, and years 2 and 3 are much better than first year plants. Mulch them with some leaves in fall and hope for the best.

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7066385

Snapdragons are perennials? I didn't know that - I love snapdragons! PGT, your list above is very impressive. Just keeping track of that many plantings is impressive. I plan to WS this year for the first time and pray it works for me as it does for everyone else. You know how you always worry you'll be the exception, LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America