give new life to old chairs

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

I am not sure if I am putting this in the proper forum - please let me know if I should move it.

I have received several metal framed lawn chairs that I want to give a new life. My plan is to sand them down as much as possible, they do not need to be perfect, and then prime, and spray paint a pretty sage green.

I want to snad becuase I do not want to mess with any sort of stripping solvent. I;d rather dealer with the paint 'dust'

I have a contour sander, do you think this will do the trick? I have never used the sander, I inherited it from my mother. I want to make sure I am using a decent tool for the job. Anyone have experience with this contour sander?

If it helps its a dremel countour sander, like this one http://www.dickblick.com/products/dremel-contour-sander-kit/

Thumbnail by blackThumbz
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I would just sand them lightly, and spray them with rustoleum paint. It will prevent them from rusting anymore.

LK

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

sounds like my plan - thanks for the input

Flagler Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I may be a little late posting here, it's now May 22nd, opps, new to DG, but after reading this, I just wanted to say I am a paint nut, and anything paintable, and worth saving I paint, and as far as I've seen, no sanding required if there isn't any rough spots on the item you want to paint. And rustolium ( opps spell check?)paints are the bomb, they work and an extra step I take, is to use polyurathane afterwards. it keeps the paint looking great for a few years. Living in florida where I do, you almost need to buy stock in polyurathane, to coat all metals, keeps things from rusting :) jamibad

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Jamibad,
youre saying I do not need to sand? Hmm... I am going to work on the project over the weekend. I have decided to sand lightly, get rid of the loose pieces, glaring differences, etc. Then prime, paint with a sage green. Had not thought about coating it. Maybe I will do that as well. Do you use a spray for that?
I am painting everything these days. It started when I painted the living room, dining room and kitchen. I am looking at everything with new found eyes of paint. :)

Ps I recently moved from South Florida. Did you get alot of rain this past week?

lots and lots of rain to your last question, as a matter of fact, it's raining as I type :(, good for the garden, bad for my mood, but all is good. To your first question, I did a spray paint on my big outdoor table and 6 chairs, a light green, I found there wasn't any rough spots, so I sprayed away. This table was done 2 years ago, and the only care so far, was to put another coat of polyurethane on it, by brush ! The other thing that makes spraying paint easy, is buy the $6-$7 can holder at Lowes, or HD It sure makes it easy on your spray finger. Living where I do, 3 blocks off the ocean, everything metal or similar gets painted and coated with poly. Even my Outdoor grill, and this week that took a major hit from getting " sand blasted" from the wind and rain. I do hinges on my shed, wrought iron, you name it , I paint it. Between gardening and spaying things to make them the color I want, or to refurbishing, I stay busy, Hope your project turns out the way you want it, good luck, and post your results. ciao, jami

Thumbnail by jamibad

Hi again blackthumbz, a real quick ps here, I have to laugh when I look at the picture I posted for you, I didn't realize I was missing some paint when I took the picture, hehehe, but it is a 2 year old job, but the poly is there, for sure ! When we sit at the table, people tend to rest there feet up on the bars of the table legs, so it does take some abuse under there. I would have done another pic but my porch isn't enclosed, other than a roof and screens, and due to the rain and wind for the last 6 days, my porch looks very soggy and dirty, can't wait for the weather to clear ! ciao, Jami

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

Ok so it took me a while but here is an almost finished chair. I still need to make a changeable cover.

I sanded it a bit by hand, and some with the drill and a wire attachment. I finally gave up and dubbed it shabby chic :)..
I primed it with a can of spraypaint and then spray painted it sage green.

to make the cushions, I got a futon matress 2nd hand for $10 and cut it up into the needed dimensions. I went to the thrift store and bought for $1 several used table cloths. I hand sewed them as a cover on the futon batting.

Now all I need to do is make covers that I can changed when needed.

Im happy with them - I saved some old chairs and for a few bucks made some cushion. The cushions in the store are CRAZY expensive.
thanks for the help.. now on to the next project..

Thumbnail by blackThumbz
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Your thriftiness is wonderful. You might consider adding a couple button tabs to the top of your cushion so it won't fall down. Just a thought. I think you did a great job...

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

HI Quilter3bdsr.
That is a good idea - thank you. Actually I might do that with the covers. I have a ton of material I inherited from my mom - that I want to make covers with.

Are you a quilter by chance? :) I also want to tie the batting together. The inside of that futon looked like very thick (4-5") cottom quilt batting. But I need a very long needle - do they make such an animal? Or by chance do you know how I can do that?

thanks again for the nice words.

hey blackthumbz, sorry been away in NY, but am back, WOW>>> You did a great job, and you also did something I never would have thought of, the cushions look great, and yeah a few button tabs may look good, but what you did buy,buying a futon mattress and cutting it up is something I never thought of. I have bought some lousey cushions on sale at wally world, got them home and they look like crap, yours look great, and hey, for an idea, try buying material off of craigs list, if your going to change out your cushions on a as needed basis, craigs list is great. In the end, you did a great job, Now, did you put a coat of polyurathane on your paint job ?? It keeps the paint looking great for more than a season or two !! an answer to your question to the batting and the need for a long enough needle, I think they make them, go to the sewing section at wally world and ask the dept. manager, and they'll guide you to the correct needle, or goggle it on line!! Ciao, Jami

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Jami,
no need to apologize.. I hope it was a good trip.
The futon matress idea came to me after a while. I refused to spend all that money in the store. So it's not store perfect, but I like it just as it is. Still need to make the covers for the three chairs. I have a huge plastic tub of material I inherited from my mom. And I am more than familiar with CL. Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images