Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Antiques and Collectibles: Mom's Wedding Glass

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 17, Views: 320
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6475410

Hi everyone!
This is a picture of a pitcher and water glass set that my mom was given as a wedding gift back in the 30's. I have searched online, Ebay and local antiques, have not found what make this is or found anything similar. Has anyone any idea who made this or what it may be worth? The pitcher and 6 glasses are in very good condition as Mom didn't use them, just displayed. No marks on the bottoms that I can find. The design is raised, like a handpainted one.
Thanks for any help you can give, even if it's just suggestions.

Kathy

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7724350

I think it MAY be European in origin, but beyond that, I don't know.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7725157

Thanks, I wish I could figure out for sure, but w/o any marks I don't have much to go by.. and since they got it as a gift, it's hard to say. I'm not sure she even remembers who it came from, but it's worth asking again this weekend! If I find out anything, I'll post...
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7725539

I have something very similar in blue that was a wedding present to my grandparents in 1908. I was told that it's German.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #7726255

is there any ID marks on the bottom of the pitcher or the glasses?
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7726270

I don't remember any. They're packed away somewhere and I can't get to them.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8236107

faeden I suggest that you take a black light - any kind and any size - and shine it on this glass ware to see if it glows. It could be vasoline ware. There are other names for it but this is the only one I can remember right now. I would be intrerested to hear the results!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #8236141

You can probably get it tested at an antiques store. They usually keep one on hand just for this type of glass ware. If it is not vasoline ware it is a lovely set anyway but have it checked. If it is you can charge more money for it. . My mom gave me some of that in pink which I used myself for years but somehow it ended up in the kitchen of one of my four daughters. Every year I have what we call "give aways" when I put alot of stuff I do not want here any longer - some of it really nice like last year there were three stained glass windows - and they all come over to go through it and take what they want. What ever is left goes to good will or something like that. I just drive up to a window and someone emptys the trunk and I drive off. The grand kids are included and one grandson in particular likes this. He took a stryrofoam tortilla keeper and a beautiful doily and a fake bunch of flowers. I wondered what he would do with it. He served his mother breakfast in bed using the things he took the very next morning.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8236196

There is something I must tell you. I used to collect this type of glass ware. The sight of all of them lit up in a cabinet was fantastic!! I loved it. I still do! My sister kept telling me that the ingrediants in the glass could cause cancer. The people who made it in the early 19oo's had a high number of workers getting cancer because back then they actually used active radium. It was a new mineral and they did not know much about it. They have just started in the last two years or so making this type of glass without radium. Anyway, We debated the risk of having this glass ware in my living room for two years. It only gives off a very little bit of it but now I realize it could be cumulative. Then I got a tumor. The beautiful glass that I had been enjoying so much immediatly was boxed up and put down in the basement. I do not know what to do with it. I do not want my daughters to take it. I do not want to sell it. It would in either case bother my conscious. So that is another reason to get it checked. I cannot definitely blame the glass ware but it is a point to concider.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #8236246

FYI this glass was made by Fenton and other glass companies here in the USA. There were other companies that made it before that time in Germany and maybe France. Most of them had their own name for it and it also comes in yellow, which is why someone started to call it Vaseline glass. Sometimes when it is put in the sunshine it will change between green and yellow. I had said the early 1920s but it is further back than that. There were some indications of it (what ever that means) in 79AD in mosaics. It really started off in this country when they invented pressed glass in the mid nineteenth century. I have a book called Yellow-Green Vaseline (a guide to magic glass) by Jay L. Glickman. If you can find this book it is really good but I am sure there are many other books about it also. He insists that there is no danger in having it in your home in any amount. I just felt a little paranoid since then. I sure wish I did not feel that way. I would so love to have my collection where we can enjoy it every day. If it does not glow then I would say it is pressed glass from that period and earlier.
My gosh I have talked your ears off!! Sorry!!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8236405

Whoa - does Fenton have a number for this?
Does it glow under a black light?

I have more questions.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8236435

I do not know what number you are refering to? The only way you will know if it will glow is to get a black light and try. Many antique stores have one behind their counter because of testing this type glass. Beyond that I do not really know where you can find one without buying it. Rock and mineral stores might be able to help you. You can order them on line on one of those sites. Once you see how that works and looks you will b e able to more easily determine if it will or not, but you will still have to check it to be sure. It can fool you sometimes. I do not know if I can answer your questions but I would be happy to try.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #8237071

It is absolutely beautiful. Reminds me a bit of depression glass, will dig out my books and see if I can find.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #8237073

Some of my depression glass

Thumbnail by kobwebz

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #8237459

You have a beautiful collection there! I once wanted to collect depression glass but I got sidetracked. It is beautiful! Will you also test these dishes? You can get a 6 black light on line for $30. The standing plate on the right side looks like it may fluorescence. The reason I gave mine away to my daughters (the depression glass ) is because I am trying to make things a little easier for the kids to clean up when I go. Unfortunately what actually happens is I see an empty place and go right ahead and fill it up again! On the other hand it gives me an opportunity to unbox and enjoy some of the things I did not have room for earlier. Between that and my give - away nights it will make a difference eventually. You have arranged your display beautifully. Thank you for the post
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8237859

For the black light try Wal-Mart. I got one cheap there. Its about 2 feet long. I think I got it in the poster department and if not there the lighting dept.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #8238646

I haven't tried the black light. I too am giving my things to my daughters for their own spaces. I remember what it was like when my Mom passed away and 6 of us were scrambling over what was left of her things after one sister helped herself before she passed. I know all of mine is depression as I have books and identified the patterns. The girls on sofa arm to ceiling medallion in the trash to treasure forum helped me arrange those shelves. This is a before picture of a few shelves before.

Thumbnail by kobwebz

honeypie129
Buffalo, NY

May 6, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8544263

I was going to suggest Cambridge glass. That's where I finally found the Rosepoint design and have bought more pieces on ebay. I have heard of vaseline glass too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America