Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: I need an opinion on some jewelry

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 20, Views: 371
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6475622

another gift from FIL, this belonged to a beloved family friend who worked in a corporate office. She was always dressed very nicely, no matter what occasion. I'm not well-versed in jewelry, but it is in very good condition, except for a pair of earrings that is in pieces. The stones are included, just not in the setting. Set includes necklaces, pins, bracelets and earrings. I've looked for engraving or makers markings, but nada... Is this what you class as costume jewelry? Haven't taken it to a jeweler for an appraisal just yet, its been packed away with other family jewelry. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kathy

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

virginbred
Edisto Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6565757

i'd say it's probably costume...reason being is that the backs of the stones ore closed...if they were diamonds the backs would be open to allow as much light as possible to enter the stone showing more sparkle...looks very well made tho...virginia

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6567619

Thank you Virginia... I was beginning to think that it must have not been anything special as I hadn't seen any replies. The family doesn't know where she got her jewelry as she was a close family friend, but I met her a few times in the 70's, and she was very particular with her dress and appearance. Very lovely lady in all aspects. I suppose I will take it to a jeweler and see if anything raises an eyebrow.

Kathy
virginbred
Edisto Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6568459

do you happen to have a black light? if so you can look at the stones to see if any have phosphorescence...if they do you may have something there...you can also breath on the stones like you do when you go out into cold air and see if they cloud...diamonds will not stay cloudy where as fake stones will...also if you hold the stones up to the light and look through the face you should be able to see through the stone if not it is probably fake...just something to do before you go to a jeweler...virginia

ps...that pin in the middle is especially nice and the linked bracelet is as well...
virginbred
Edisto Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6568469

hey any lady who has such a preference for diamonds is ok in my book!
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6568503

My suggestion is to have a look at a book in the library on costume jewelry of the 40's - 60's.

I used to have an antique shop and that looks like the time line of this jewelry.

A jeweler will not really know the value of these unless they are genuine stones or gold or silver setttings. They typically are not valuable stones from that time.

Most of the value is in the fact that costume jewelry is being worn again by many ladies. If you are wanting to sell them, the best way is to consign them in an antique shop.

You could get a better appraisal on the jewelry at an antique shop than a jeweler unless the stones or metal are precious.

If you prefer not to consign the pieces, then selling them on ebay is another way to sell them. They will not bring as much on ebay if you don't find a maker's mark as one that is marked.

Charlene

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6569694

Ahh, makes sense to go to an antique shop instead of a jeweler. I don't think these are diamonds, but was looking mainly for opinions on the design and worth of the pieces themselves. I have not been able to find a mark on the backs, but will have to get them out again and go over them with a magnifier. Am going to the library today, will check to see what they have on costume jewelry. My mother's friend back in the 60's had boxes of jewelry, but none as well designed as these, mostly earrings, cloisonne, pins. There are also plenty of antiques shops here that I could check with, thanks for the suggestions. Hubby is looking in the attic for his old black light (a leftover from the OLD days...LOL) Will let you all know what I've found out..

Kathy
virginbred
Edisto Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6569892

good! i'm interested in what you find out...please let us know...virginia
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6570137

Some Costume is Very Valuable
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6570155

Especially if it is signed.
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6603828

A jeweler will give you a low ball price if they think you're trying to sell it to them (if they carry used jewelry).

Make sure you tell them you're not trying to sell it, but just getting a value idea.

I have a lot of costume jewelry (over 300 brooches and pins) and with some pretty (but standard) older jewelry you get what someone is willing to pay. That's why eBay works so well...lol

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6604428

Kathy

I have that same stretch bracelet you show in the lower right part of the picture. It was my Grandmother's and I wear it today. It looks great mixed with other braclets of silver or a silver watch.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6604842

Thanks for the ideas, due to some family issues, I have not made it out to have these checked. I'm happy to hear that someone else is familiar with this type of jewelry, as I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there that are, but gravitate toward other threads here. I haven't worn any of it yet, but have a couple of family weddings coming up this fall. Guess I could flash alittle of it at one of those! There are a couple of pairs of the old fashioned earrings that have the screw backs, would it be a sin to have them made into posts, as I have pierced ears, or would it even be possible?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6606908

About redoing the earrings, I was told by the jewelery repair guy that he "wouldn't do that to" me as they do have value as collectible costume jewelery. When I brought a broach in to have the pin fixed, he said that he had just seen it on Antiques Roadshow for $160. It is just a simple swirly piece, with fake pearls from my Mom's high school days back in the early thirties. I don't know anything more on the old costume jewelery, but for the repair guy saying that. I wish I knew more about internet searching...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6610254

Hi JuneyBug!
this is funny as one of my good friends I left in IN, we called JuneBug... It probably isn't a good idea to have them remade, but the pair that has all the stones loose from the settings are a dangle-y sort. Pretty, something that looks 'wearable'. I've been so busy planting flower beds and such, that I still haven't made it downtown to the shops for evaluations yet. But I will before long. I remember well how those screw-on earrings felt... Grandma would pull a couple pair out of her jewelry box for my cousin and me to play 'dress up' with, but I didn't have them on for very long. I suppose you get used to them and figure out how to adjust them properly so they don't fall off.
Thanks for the reply, I'll let everyone know what I find out, when I get downtown. Have a nice weekend!

Kathy
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6633471

if it was mine I would go to a good jeweler and I would not leave the items I would book an appointment and have him or her look at the items to see what they are the bracelet has a chain to keep it safe not usually seen on costume stuff I would want to know what they are made of the metal can be tested for gold and silver purity and the stones also
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #6635118

As there was already a Junebug on Dave's, I ended up with the y in the middle of my nickname. It is a "family" nickname, with at least one kid getting it in each generation. Who knows, I might be a cousin of the one that you knew!
I googled "antique costume jewelery prices" and got a ton of places to look. Here's one: http://antiques.about.com/od/onlinepriceguides/ig/Vintage-Costume-Jewelry-Values/
Most jewelers want to be paid for their time and trouble doing estimates of any kind. I think it would be better to look at as many places online as you have time for.

UH OH! I just realized that I don't have spell check anymore! I can't find it anywhere...hope you can read it anyway!
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6635252

dont have to do estimate unless he says its real then estimate is good but just to see if its real they dont ask to be paid, so I would want to know maybe only one is real maybe more I would want to know since it make a big diff if its costume or real thousands of dollars difference
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6635332

So true! It is surprising to me that years ago they mixed colored glass in with precious jewels and garden variety rocks...anything for the "look" they were going for.
The crown jewels of England are a mix like that. A relative has a large ring made with red glass and emeralds and diamonds. It's value is not lessened by the glass as that is how it was done 2+ hundred years ago. A necklace of my stepMIL has one real diamond and pave' beads of fake. It is strictly costume jewelery, even tho' the focus of the necklace does have a real stone in it. You could have a blend too, Kizmo.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6635522

that is what I was thinking also my greatgrandmother is from wales born in 1896 and all of her stuff had a mix of real diamonds some very large mixed with colored glass since they did not have those as real stone around so they would use glass since that was easier to get the right color

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6636022

wow, you all are a treasure trove of info on this... guess I better find some spare time to see what I really have up there! Oh, and I wouldn't leave any of this behind for someone to check, if they couldn't do it while I was there, I'd go back when they had time. I also have a C melody saxophone from my grandfather, no case, just wrapped up and stuck away. I figure it would take $$$ to get it repaired, and I didn't have the extra to have someone look at it years ago. Also didn't trust the local music stores and the ones who had the info on old stuff were quite aways from my town. Mom had taken Grandmother's diamond to a jeweler a few years ago to have it reset into hers. 2 jewelers, 2 appraisals, price ranged low to high.. She really wasn't sure which one to go to. In the end, she picked one and just had them reset them anyway into a new ring. The diamonds weren't big, just sentimental.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America