AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6475865

This is a picture that my mother gave me when she moved. She's not sure where it came from, as she and Dad used to flea market and attend auctions alot before he passed. The only thing she could say was that if they had bought it at auction or market, they wouldn't have paid much for it. I believe it is in the original frame, as the picture is held in with small nails spaced about 1" or so apart all the way around. There is also a brown protective paper on the back, with a wire to hang it stretched across the back. It is approx. 21" X 28", not sure what type of paint was used as I haven't removed it from the frame. Signed at the bottom by 'Wm Payne', not William. I researched a William Payne who died in 1830's, it is comparable to his type of theme, but didn't find a listing for this particular scene. I have not removed the paper off the back as it is very old and easily torn. I had to tape the paper together when I moved as I was concerned it would tear more. Research on the art sites ask for $$ membership, so I have not found anymore on this artist. Do any of you know Payne or have any of his works?

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 3:33 PM

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JeanBHall
Norwood, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6699323

Here's what an online art encyclopedia had to say about him:

(b Plymouth, c. 1760; d London, after 1830). English painter and drawing-master. He may have been brought up in Derbyshire. In 1776 he exhibited an untitled landscape at the Society of Artists, and in 1786 he showed five views of Plymouth at the Royal Academy. By that time he was employed as a civil engineer at the government dockyard at Plymouth. In 1790 he moved to London, where he established himself as a professional artist. Between 1809 and 1812 he was an associate and exhibitor with the Society of Painters in Water-Colours. He also exhibited at the British Institution between 1809 and 1830.

Noticed on other sites that some of his work was in museums. Might be worth inquiring at one of them.

Couldn't find this exact piece of work either, but only searched a short while.
JeanBHall
Norwood, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6699380

Here are two books which might show your artwork. Perhaps your library could help you track down a copy:

Payne's Devon: a portrait of the county from 1790 to 1830 through the watercolours of William Payne, Peter Hunt (Exeter: Devon Books, 1986). 122 p. Reproductions of William Payne's 86 watercolours of Devonshire owned by the Devon County Library Service, and the history of their creation. [LB.37.a.102].

William Payne: a Plymouth experience, David Japes (Exeter: Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1992). 45 p. Reproductions of 105 works, mainly watercolours. Appendix I: transcript of William Payne senior's will; appendix II: William Payne's will; appendix III: list of draftsmen in the drawing room in the Tower, January 1781, with age, years in the drawing room and notes on proficiency; appendix IV: Payne's exhibited works; appendix V: list of Payne's views in Devon, appendix VI: galleries and museums which hold Payne's work. [MAPS YK.1993.a.15341, MAPS 236.a.58].

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6700568

thanks for your research, I haven't found out much more on my own, but will check at the library to see if they can come up with anything.

Kathy
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6840184

antique road show send them a picture of it and maybe they can help you it maybe worth a lot lot lot of money

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America