Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Slipper Orchids: Another great article..

Communities > Forums > Article: The Slipper Orchids
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Slipper OrchidsReplies: 11, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 28, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6476071

Another great article Shar...perhaps I'll look for these orchids in my walks in the forest...Shar when all of the learning was happening between you and Aunt Bett, how old would she be??? also how old was she when she passed on..am sure you wrote about it in other articles but it escapes me at this time...

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6476579

She was in her 60's Betty, when I was climbing the mountains with her. She died when she was nearing 80, I think. She was a really neat woman.
duchessdreams
Reno, NV

May 1, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6489369

Wonderful artical.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6489540

Hi DD,
Thank you. Always nice to hear from you.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6490277

I too have been curious about your Aunt. Do you happen to have a picture of her that you could post? It would be especially nice if you could post one of the two of you together. How absolutely fortunate you were to have had such a fascinating person in your family during your childhood.

I have never seen a lady slipper orchid. They were probably there when I was on short hiking trips but they apparently weren't too noticeable to my uneducated eyes.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6490310

I'll see what I can find for you, but I know I don't have a picture of the two of us together. I am not sure why that is, but maybe I should check with some of my older relatives. Not many of them left, but maybe.

She never liked to have her picture made, I do remember that.

Slipper orchids are very small, but are on tall stalks, maybe 18+ inches or so. Not really noticeable if you aren't looking for them.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6490375

I think I would have noticed the blooms so probably if there were any they weren't blooming. I would heartily recommend that you notify all of your living relatives and find out who might have family pictures that you have never seen or don't possess. You could always scan them or have them make copies of them for you. I have been attempting this myself for several years now. Often I have had to go to extraordinary means to obtain the pictures from people. Thankfully so many of our people have some method of reproducing such pictures but occasionally a relative will live in a rather isolated area and can't be of any help. This has created a real problem in some instances for me. One such trip that found it necessary to make was to take a picture of a very large family picture that the person had hanging on the wall and had no way to copy it. Another long trip led to a big disappointment. This elderly relative supposedly had a picture of a particular relative that no one else had pictures of.

End of story...
The picture was an early one of my grandmother and we already had it. It was not the person that she thought it was. Here is where research can go awry easily. Her family was so proud of that picture that we didn't have the nerve to tell her that it wasn't the person she thought it was. We dutifully carried the picture to a shop and had it copied for them and for us. Then we returned to their isolated mountain home with the pictures. Our dirty deed having been done we hurriedly bid them a hasty goodbye and left feeling terribly guilty but happy to see that they were so happy. Oh, well. So goes life.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6556354

Beautifully written, Sharon
Very informative and with that touch of Sharon charm.
You're a wonderful spokesperson for the Appalachians.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6556400

Thank you Sunny.
You have a wonderful way with words, too.
stella
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8083169

Great article. I love the personal stories mixed with technical details. Here is a link from Plant Delights Nursery that contains another article:
(www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Plants/Genus/Cypripedium)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #8083331

Thanks Stella, but I can't get the link to open.
amygirl
Miami, FL

May 9, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8549089

Remove the parenthesis at the end of the link - it will work.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Slipper Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Slipper Orchids Hemophobic 12 Apr 29, 2009 4:24 AM
Whippoorwill Shoes Kathleen 5 Apr 29, 2009 3:01 AM
Orchids phicks 1 Apr 28, 2009 10:02 PM
Cypripedium calceolus NEILMUIR1 1 May 4, 2009 3:30 PM
slipper orchids EFGeorgia1 2 May 4, 2009 9:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America