Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: The Agony of Planting 1000s of Babies

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 26, Views: 413
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6479724

OMG. I overdid it again and planted the entire packets of seeds. LOL. I bet I planted over a 100 foxgloves yesterday. The weather called for rain last night and today so I tried to plant them before it rained. Perfect timing, but I am exhausted. I still have hundreds of Agastache to plant now. Each year I say I won't plant too many, but I always do. I figure it's better to have too many than not enough. My foxgloves should look amazing next year! I'm just walking around the yard and if I see a good spot, I plant a Foxglove. LOL.

I also planted an entire packet of red hot pokers, not to mention the red false yucca. Luckily my niece accidentally threw half of my seeds down the drain so I only have 6 of those, however.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I now acknowledge that today.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

April 29, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6480017

I wonder if there is a program to help you? :)
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6480256

That's what I was thinking, although I'd have to be a member, too.

"Hello, my name is Tonya and I'm a seedplantingaholic"...
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6480262

At least we admit we have a problem! I bet my Foxgloves will look good next year though.
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6481732

DG is our group therapy.You are not alone.We all share your pain and your joy of gardening.Thats why we are here.Its not easy to find unconditional love and support.LOL,Edge
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6484973

I'm with you. I had so many jugs that looked like chiapets! May plan is to sow many varieties, but fewer seeds per variety next year.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6493204

I fortunately have an 'outlet' for my extras: my MG group has a spring plant sale. Then I have the MGs themselves for the remaining leftovers. I am so tired of labeling though. I'm thinking of just doing a flyer like for babysitting services at the community bulletin board? You know with tear off pieces for the phone #, in this case, the plant name. :)

I like your idea for the foxgloves, I have 6 more...must hunt for bare spots.

pgt- chia pets. I love it. If your containers were as rough as my recycled cat litter jugs, they were some odd pets.
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6493629

Yes, some of my chia pets were quite strange looking. This was my first time, and I didn't expect such great germination! But, next year I'm going to assume to get 100% germination when I sow (and sow a lot fewer seeds per jug). I also made the mistake of planting them out too close together when they were big enough to transplant. But they ALL survived transplanting, so now I have to thin them out AGAIN. I think that what I learned is that winter sowing is that it works extremely well, and to assume success instead of failure (or even partial failure). I must have about 100 larkspur planted out in my various beds, and then I still ended up with a whole bunch donated to the compost pile.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6514618

Ugh! If I don't get these things planted! I have one chia pet of alyssum that's a solid mass of flowers, blooming in the milk jug.

Karen
sandstreet
Kinderhook, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6516271

I just planted a chia pet of snapdragons yesterday. I got about 30 clumps out of one milk jug, but each clump had 5-10 stems. Do I thin down to one stem now ... at all? Wait a week? I've never done wintersowing or snapdragons before.

Same goes for Shirley Poppies ... I have 2 jugs of those to tackle.

Yes! Way too many plants! But lots of Delphiniums, so I am happy. Hopefully they'll flourish.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6516284

sandstreet - I too await an answer on this from someone more experienced...what to do?
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6516823

Here's what I do...

I wait until we have a weather forecast which calls for rain. The past week we have had no sun! I separate all of my babies and plant them all. I want them all to have a fighting chance. Some times if I can't get them apart I shake them until they come apart. It's easy to do because the soil is so loose. This works for me. Others simply cut the chia pet into squares and just plant that and let nature take its course, but I'm the type that has to save every single baby. LOL :)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2009

Post #6519451

I cut them into squares and plant out hunks. I don't thin, or, heaven forbid, separate. I let them duke it out themselves. Maybe some don't make it but it's hard to tell. They just grow into bigger hunks.

Sometimes hunks are just an inch or two square. Sometimes they're entire gallon milk jugs. :-)

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6664911

we are expecting rain tomorrow... so i've been a planting fool the past 2 days...

between planting and weeding, I'm spending about 8hrs a day out there.

gittin bite by ants and mosquitoes though... but i'm making a good dent in my containers.

about 2 weeks ago, a gal on FreeCycyle asked for Butterfly plants... I was like.. Boy have i got something for you...

she came over today and i gave her 3 packs of seeds and 3 containers of Milkweeds [Pink MW (perennial) and scarlet and Silky Gold] She is in a Townhome and did not have more room, or i was ready to dig up some mature plants for her.

she home schools her kids and the "Butterfly Raising" thing is approaching... she should have a good start with all those plants i gave her... probably about 20 MW's.

Well -- i only came in to call DH, which i haven't done yet... but back out to do some more planting.
sandstreet
Kinderhook, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6668217

Planting going great! I went overboard on wintersowing delphiniums and have about 40 babies and 75% looking like they will make it! The babies I planted early are not doing as well as the ones that got big in the container. Next year's strategy: Plant just a few seeds per container so I can plant the entire container (when I have multiples, I can't resists separating). And plant the container when they are bigger -- when they are just starting to fill the milk jug. THOSE plants are taking the best.

I'm ready to throw away the celosia and the NY aster -- don't have a spot for them. They are just languishing in the milk jug. I did throw out a poppy container, and gave away a crazy daisy and a flowering cabbage. TOO MANY PLANTS.

But YES, it's been great planting weather.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6668291

I'm a plantaholic so I overplanted! I planted an entire packet of Echinacea "Hula Dancer." I planted them all over the place. I even sneaked some into my mom's flower beds. She won't believe it next year when they bloom. LOL.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6853448

Welcome to Cue's 5 step program for plantaholics. You've already takent he first step in acknowledging you have a problem... but there is good news. You CAN overcome it with my 5 step program.

step 1 - admit you have a problem.

step 2 - gather up all your seeds... go on... even the ones you hid in your expensive shoes that you never wear in the back of the closet!

step 3 - place them all in a small box.

step 4 - mail directly to Cue-chik, Palm Coast Fl.

Step 5- pat yourself on the back for being strong enough to rid yourself of such a heavy burden.

and there ya have it.. cue-chik's 5 step program for plantaholics! now get out there and gather those seeds!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7230421

cute, cue_chik... but this seedaholic isn't givem up ...LOL

Janet
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
10:17 AM

Post #7337267

What do you do with all that many plants? Sell them?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #7337329

Sell my babies??!?

LOL

I plant them out or pot them up, mostly in clumps (you'll see references in this forum to planting HOS -- that's "Hunks 'O Seedlings"). A lot of them find their way into my garden, many migrate to other people's gardens... I do a lot of perennials, so I'd have to pot them up and overwinter them before they're big enough to sell.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #7337555

pippi -- if you go back to that other thread, where Karen posted that image of her marigolds... if you'd just break that into say,quarters, or thirds and plant them like that... that is HOS, as Jill just described. It would be nearly impossible to plant each seedling as a plant in situations like that.

and if i have extras... they usually go to my neighbor or friends. Though as we are filling up our gardens - I know myself and Karen are more selective in what seeds we get and sow, as we are running out of room to put plants. ... so you try to do less each year, but that always does not happen.

Welcome to wINTER sOWING... opssss. dang cap lock.

Terese
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #7338721

I think WS is for me! I am too wimpy to thin seedling so if I make it impossible to do so by planting thickly sown WS containers, I won't have to make the horrible decision to thin them! Perfect:lol:

I still think I'll have to plant a bit sparingly--I'm in an apt with a small front bed and a patio full of containers---but I do have new neighbors to share with--they garden:)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7338759

Printed out Hunk-o-seedlings article and saying it in my garden journal or wintersowing folder. Somewhere I saw an article or posting where people use pages from seed catalogs to use for seeds exchange. I got some FREE seeds sent to me today by a Barbara-Va and that's what she did. Neat idea! She even had small labels on each envelope, important information one needs to know. I was impressed and so appreciative. I know Wintersown has templates of seed envelopes one can make. I guess one could use any catalog, not just ones that come from flower/seed ones. This lady even used some Splenda packets..clever!
I'm really getting an education into this wintersowing project. Thanks to all of you who have been so kind and generous with your information and tips and Free seeds.
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009

Post #7339838

where can I find the HOS article?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7339864

try this... written by Critter... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1135/
violap
Fremont, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7339959

I found it!
Thanks
Vi
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #7340417

There are seed packet templates here too. I think under the extras tab at the top header. I've made several of the blank ones but the catalog repurposing idea is a good one and saves me printer paper:lol:

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America