Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Poison Ivy and weeds growing in from my neighbors yard

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 10, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6480804

I bought roundup for poison ivy and I am going to spray what is on my side of a chain link fence. My neighbor does nothing at all to the yard but I am still worried that she will go nuts if I kill off her weeds. Also if I spray the roundup will it affect the soil? I am in the process of digging a new bed and I do not want the soil contaminated.

This is a new yard for us and I have spent a lot of money on plants. I don't want anything to hurt the hydrangea I am planting as a natural screen along this fence.

I did purchase construction silt barrier to keep her nasty weeds from growing into my yard. I am putting it up along the fence and hiding it with plants
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6480908

Roundup goes into the leaves down to the roots to kill the weed. It does not hurt your soil. If you would feel better, put down some plastic or trash bags to protect the soil. Good luck, Smokey
Wulfsden
Riverdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6481322

You could call the local health inspector or town secretary and ask about local codes. It is against the law in most communities to have poison ivy growing on or near the property line. If it is, then you have no choice but to clean it up. However, reporting it as the neighbors infraction is not likely to endear you to your new neighbor. It might be worth a try at diplomacy first. Explain that you have been told to clean it up in your yard, and warn them that the inspector is coming to check your progress. Make yourself out to be the good guy, which, of course, you are... Ed
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6481364

If the fence belongs to you, you have the right to spray so no weeds are climbing on the fence or growing right up against it. I took a heavy piece of cardboard and held it on the other side of the fence, and sprayed my side. That way there was no drift.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6482417

Well tonight was perfect with no wind so I covered my plants and I sprayed the visable poison ivy. I just may have inadvertently killed some of the weed on the fenceline too. I will put up the barrier as soon as it comes in and I will hope that it helps in keeping my yard separate from her weeds.

I would talk to her but she is not a very nice person and needless to say drinks quite a bit. (had I known LOL)

All I can do is hope I sprayed without doing to much damage too her weeds. I did only spray foliage and not the ground so I can get the new area dug and ready for my hydrangea.

Lynnbird26
Dixon, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6483644

I do not blame you one bit for wanting to get rid of the poison ivy. I have an empty pine lot that i send alot of my yard waste into and the last three years ended up with poison ivy. After looking really good, i found that it is in my woods really bad, climbs up EVERY pine tree. My neighbor inadvertently commented on the mess in my pine woods (not knowing it was mine at the time) and I told him last year NO WAY am I going in there again. Had it last year for 8 weeks (poison ivy). Drove me NUTS while on vacation. bad bad stuff that is!!!!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6485830

Dead posion ivy holds the oils for a long time that can cause you misery if you are one who has a problem with posion ivy. Cover up when you clean up up your dead plants and wash down completely. Do not burn the trash. That puts the oils in the air.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6486616

I have been reading everything I can about poison ivy removal. It is definately wilting tonight. If I do have to remove as much as I can I will be very very careful.

Or better yet I will get my husband to do it. Maybe if I promise not to buy anymore plants...
Lynnbird26
Dixon, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6486805

If I ever promised not to buy anymore plants I would have to cross my fingers behind my back as I made the promise. LOL
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6487093

I could NEVER make that promise, never ever.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6493862

guyz, i wish u luck, the roots of your poison ivy r probably in her yd too, a very sharing plant, u know, n she prob doesnt like the poison ivy either, but you will b spraying that stuff in the same places for years, also a grateful plant-takes what u give it n keeps on coming back...only way we get rid of it n the wild potato vines r deep xcavations on the lot, n there r times when the plant is more virulent than others, but if u do burn, stay out of the smoke esp! each piece of poison ivy can start new little pieces of a plant...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America