Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn't: Iris

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn't
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn'tReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MarikaF
Southlake, TX

April 29, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6481380

I received some Iris bulbs from my mother-in-law last year. I had never had Iris in my garden before. I planted the bulbs and they grew and bloomed very nicely, but, the foliage never died back. I waited all fall and winter for the right time to cut them back to the ground like other bulbs but the leaves stayed nice and green. I would like to be able to cut the foliage back to the ground to control the size. When should I cut these back to the ground?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6482437

Hi,
You're confusion lies in the fact that Iris are not considered "spring bulbs". Iris grow new foliage every year and blooms in late spring to early summer. Many Iris will look kind of ratty in mid-late summer and that (August) is the right time to cut off damaged leaves if you wish, and dig and divide to control the size of the clump. Each old flower stem may be flanked by two or three new shoots at that time.
Ah, I notice you're in Texas--I guess your Iris don't get the cold we do and have as much of a yearly cycle. Without researching, I'm still guessing you would divide them in the month or two after bloom, say in August, and keep only the best looking pieces to replant the amount you like to keep. Discard the older parts of the rhizome that have few or no leaves and roots.
I hope this makes sense to you! I'm pretty sure there are some Iris care articles in Dave's if you wish to "search articles" for Iris. Good luck.
Sally

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring Bulb Blooms May Be Finished but the Gardening Isn't Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for the Tips! Potagere 6 Apr 29, 2009 6:33 AM
Handy! art_n_garden 9 Apr 29, 2009 11:12 PM
Unused refrigerated bulbs mgrwitness 1 Mar 28, 2012 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America