Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poppies: Your thoughts on bloom color changes... please?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 5, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6483234

First year with some vintage poppy seeds. I was delighted to enjoy some incredible blooms with what seemed to be very little effort. They turned out to be the common Papavar somniferum. I enjoyed the blooms immensely...

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6483239

We had some really intense rain late in the month and the subsequent blooms have been a lavender color ever since.

Was the soil depleted of something? These were all known to be one color.

The seeds from the lavender will be what color? Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cowgirl2
Calgary
Canada

May 1, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6488394

I assume that the seeds came from a commercial seed packet. Can you say what the named variety was and the seed company? Was it Hungarian Blue from Botanical Interests? I have had similar colour variations from this particular vendor and variety. There is nothing wrong, just enjoy the variety.

The soil will not change the colour from the red to the lavender colur of the second photo. Cooler weather will intensify colours but cannot change colours.

The seeds will be a dark brown to black colour.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6490923

NO, I apologize for not giving the history on this seed. A friend (now in his mid 70s) gave me a baggie of these seeds which he had found in his deceased mothers' freezer. His last memory of her having planted them was when he was around 10 years old. She passed on in her late 80s.

I did not immediately plant or refreeze them but added to the rest of my seeds for about 5 more years. DGrs helped remind me of the right time to plant some last fall. Not expecting results, I was delighted to see the foliage.

The thing that threw me was the new blooms after a a good hard rain changed color. All the blooms prior to the rain were the intense color of the first photo. After the rain, all of the blooms were the washed out lavender color. This friends' memory has always been strong and he says the first color is the one he remembers from the poppies of his childhood. This made me ask this question, wondering if anyone else had noted similar results.

What I meant when I asked what color the seeds would be, I meant blooms for next season. Wish I had kept them separate to find out but it's too late now. Thanks for your answer... pod
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 13, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6683430

The lavendar ones look like the annual poppies I plant that will self sow. Maybe Hungarian Bread poppies or something like that, I forget. I've never grown annual poppies of that red color, although the seeds I planted were various purply shades. What about the foliage - are all the plants the same except for color? Could it be that you have a color mix planted and the red bloomed first and then the other ones started after the rain? Who knows, but I love a mystery!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6684434

The foliage was all the same and I neglected to mark those blooms to keep the seeds separate. I didn't think about that till it was too late. I will have to watch and see what the seeds do next season. You may well be right. They were just a late bloomer. LOL Thanks... pod

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America