Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the Juleps: Recipe

Communities > Forums > Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the Juleps
bookmark
Forum: Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the JulepsReplies: 25, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6484165

Thanks for the great article, Critter...
Meant to post this earlier, but time got away from me. I am a long time Kentucky Derby-er, and must confess that I use the official recipe from Churchhill Downs for my juleps. Two things I think are important, we make a 'sugar/water/mint syrup', and we serve the juleps in a cold frosty cup or glass. I promised you that I'd post the original recipe, so here goes...the difference is that I usually use Maker's Mark instead of Early Times:

Early Times Mint Julep

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Sprigs of fresh mint
Crushed ice
Early Times Kentucky Whisky
Silver Julep Cups
Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

Happy Derby Day on Saturday!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6484193

Jill asked me to share a photo of a mint julep cup, so here it is. My cups have a date of May '66 on them, so I think they have lost their gleam of newness.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6484593

Well no wonder my head hurt so much! I didn't put in sugar or water. I featured mint juleps (well I guess now really not juleps) at a Stampede party a few years back. I just put bourbon and spearmint in a shaker, shook it all up and strained it over ice. WOWSER I was admiring all the KY folk's stamina after I finished a couple of those puppies!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6484868

And I bet a couple was ALL you could finish!!!!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6484891

O sigh if only I was that smart ;)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6484914

And don't forget mojitos! Another great drink with mint. I have tried this one and love it. So does DH.

Mojitos

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Drinks And Punches Herbs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups Mint leaves
1 cup light rum
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
6 cups club soda
6 cups crushed ice
6 lime wedges.

Mojito's are described as "A refreshing cooler made with lime juice, fresh mint leaves and plenty of rum." It is also known to have been the beverage of choice for Ernest Hemmingway while he was staying in Cuba.
There are dozens of mojito recipes out there but this is the one I like. It came from Bon Appetit 2001.

3 cups (packed) fresh mint leaves
9 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups light rum
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

6 cups club soda
6 cups crushed ice
6 lime wedges

Reserve 6 mint leaves for garnish. Place remaining mint leaves in a medium bowl. Add sugar. Mash with a wooden spoon until mint is aromatic and oils are released. Add rum and lime juice and stir until the sugar dissolves. Strain mixture into a pitcher. (Can be perpared 2 hours ahead: referigerate.)

Add club soda to pitcher and stir gently. Fill each glass with 1 cup crushed ice. Pour mojito over and garnish each glass with 1 mint leaf and 1 lime wedge.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6484923

Now that sounds like something I will try and love! Thank you.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6484945

What about your famous Corpse Revivor 2 Paj? O wait. It would wilt the mint. Never mind everybody.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6485154

It would eat the mint, not just wilt it. Try a mojito. One of the tastiest drinks I have ever had. My friend Thresa, who is also a DGr by the name Santa Fe Trail, and first tasted them in Denver about two years ago when we were up there for the Denver Botanic Garden Sale. I like them so much that I came home and made them. Yummy!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6485202

You can show me how to make them next week then with paj. O crappola I can't bring mint over the border. I will send out a yoo hoo for mint.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6485280

Sure, we will try it in Trisha G's kitchen. Or maybe the hotel.
Edited to add that I will bring mint if enough of mine is up. If not, there is always Whole Foods.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009 2:38 PM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6485282

Ummmmm, I have tons of mint. If you all stop by and pick me up, I'll provide the mint.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6485294

It's a little out of our way -- but hop a plane and join us. No one is flying right now due to the H1N1 flu. Probably airplane air is as pure as any right now.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6485310

Ummmm, just a little, I guess. But a nice thought.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6485572

Thanks for sharing those recipes! The "official" recipe that I found on the Derby site did have added water... for me, I think I need the water, LOL... but I'm glad to have an "authentic" version to try sometime. I have a feeling that authentic julep recipes may vary a bit from source to source, just like "authentic gumbo." As long as the flavor of some really good spearmint shines through, though, it'll be great!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6485596

Actually, Critter, the one I posted above is the one that is served at the Derby.

I am sure too there are others, but this one is from the restaurant at Churchhill Downs. The bourbon brand may vary from year to year, but not the recipe. Can't get much more authentic than that.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6485623

Ah.. sorry, I read it too quickly just now... I thought I remembered your saying before that the "authentic" recipe had no added water, just ice. I'll bet you get even better mint flavor with the infused simple syrup, as opposed to muddling mint in the bottom of a glass.. but "muddling" is such fun to say... LOL
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6485635

Yep, I like muddling, too.
Water is in the syrup, but some people do just add a little sugar to the bourbon and heat it just enough to dissolve the sugar, I think. Too sweet, and too powerful, and probably a fire hazard, too. So sugar water, with mint added is the start, but only a spoonful. The rest is straight bourbon.

Funny how drinks evolve.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6485780

Gourmet magazine had a many issue running debate on what is "the" correct mint julep in the 60's or 70's. I may have a few issues with part of it. There was a huge amount of debate over it. I haven't had a mint julep in years, if ever, but I realized then that lots and lots of people really care about their juleps.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6486121

I think it's a wonderful traditional beverage. We are participating in a reunion in late July and I'm going to try them again. I will add a little dahlia touch though. I think I will freeze some tiny penny orange viola blossoms into large ice chips and serve it over them in clear glasses. It will very mid-summery with the luvly green mint.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6487124

It will charm them all!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #6491931

Here is a blackberry-mint julep recipe by Bobby Flay from today's New York Times:
http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/get-your-party-started-with-blackberry-bourbon-juleps/?hpw

Sounds yummy!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
6:01 AM

Post #6491959

Oh yes, it does sound yummy!! Now if I only had blackberries!
Thank you, that is a great recipe.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6491967

We can get them at Sam's sometimes. Can you?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #6491973

Sometimes, maybe so. I'll check it out real soon.
Thanks again. I love anything blackberry.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2009
6:28 AM

Post #6491987

Me, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: ‘Kentucky Colonel’ Spearmint: It’s Not Just About the Juleps Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Jill... postmandug 2 Apr 30, 2009 10:13 PM
Yummy recipes! artemiss 1 Apr 30, 2009 10:10 PM
Tempting! nbgard 3 May 5, 2009 2:25 PM
Mint phicks 2 Apr 30, 2009 10:17 PM
I love that mint also taynors 2 May 1, 2009 1:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America